tying the porch roof into the main house...

Started by MikeT, January 31, 2008, 09:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

Below is a picture of the progress to date.  This weekend I hope to get the porch framing complete.  But I am still thinking about how best to tie the shed roof into the main structure.  My structural engineer friend is mulling this over too.  What I have found through two winters of construction here on the Oregon coast is that the winter winds that are most damaging do not come from the ocean side (the other side of this picture), rather they come from the south and are channeled by the valley directly to this porch side of the house.  I really need to make sure I have good connections here. 

Should I cut through the sheathing on the main house and run and nail the back of my rafters into the main stud framing and then have a ledger board underneath (hurricane clips then onto the ledgerboard

Should I just nail on a ledger board and just some angled Simpson hangers for the rafters?

Other thoughts?

thanks

PEG688

I'd use a wide ledger board and lag bolt it to the studs , use this Simpson rafter tie at the ledger,

H-10 at the beam,

Beam to post,

Of course in the right sizes for your post and beam setup.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

New top clip for me there PEG.  Never seen it before.  It's like .... you know everything. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

Wow, Mike, looks like you've made a lot of progress on what looks like a very difficult terrain - I remember when you posted your foundation/basement - great work...   :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

Are you up the hill on the right from Neskowin, Mike?  I went with my phone co buddy to the little phone shack across from the store -east side in the bushes - years ago working on the phone system. 

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 31, 2008, 11:38:07 AM

New top clip for me there PEG.  Never seen it before.  It's like .... you know everything. :)

Not by a long shot , but class is always in session.  ;)

MountainDon

Quote from: PEG688 on January 31, 2008, 10:53:39 AM
I'd use a wide ledger board and lag bolt it to the studs , use this Simpson rafter tie at the ledger,

That is a very handy looking bracket! Never saw one before either. It would have made a deck roof I did a number of years ago easier to execute.

It's in the LSU series; page HERE

And remember to properly flash the house wall to ledger and roof.  :)  Lead the water out and away.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

I'll add I'd also go with 5/8" CDX ply for the roof sheathing. That added 1/8" goes a long way to resist uplift , and as you know wind in your area is  a BIG issue.
I assume those 6x6 are well embedded as well??

Those rafter brackets work really well for a shed roof / sidewall ledger connection.   ;)

John Raabe

PEG and MountainDon have the real goods here.

I would say that should be enough beef to handle anything a Pacific NW storm can throw your way!  :D :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MikeT

Thanks for all these helpful replies.  I hope to get a sketch from my engineer-friend tomorrow, but I know have something to go from that I know will work.

Thanks, Sassy and Glenn for the kind words.  It is such a pleasure to park near the house and walk in and not have mud everywhere.  Also now that the deck is on and the porch deck is framed, it is so much easier to work on the structure as well.  Glenn, you have it correct in terms of location.  I am halfway up that hill on a northern slope--1/3 of a mile from the ocean.  I am 200 feet up, so you can get a sense of how steep things are over the last .2 of a mile.  Makes for great views and I am out of tsunami zone.  The storms this winter have essentially eliminated the beach in Neskowin.  Beachfront homes are now 40 feet up with rip rap having to be set at the toe of the wall where beach used to be....yikes.

PEG, Don and John.  Thanks for the feedback on the Simpson products and the 5/8" ply.  I still need to strengthen the post and those connections.  Now they are only toe nailed in and temporarily braced.

glenn kangiser

Seems people have always built too close to the ocean there on the sand, and yes -- I am from there but what really gets me about a lot of the people from there is that if the news mentions that there may be a 40 foot tsunami, they all grab lawn chairs and beer, jump in the pickup and go sit on the beach waiting for it to come in.  Don't want to miss that. ;D

My mom mentioned they were building in the area you are in.  Shes a letter carrier for USPO in Lincoln City. 

MikeT

Here are a few images to fill out this thread:

My structural engineer friend provided me the following sketch for how he envisioned dealing with the porch as it ties into the house.  I would say that he and PEG were pretty much in sync:

Finally here are a few images of the beach after during and after some of this winter's storms-- I should also add that the wall in this picture failed the other day as well.  They are scrambling to shore up the beach and the folks whose homes sit high atop a cliff at the toe of Cascade Head are having poles set into the ground and against the cliff vertically to try and protect against further erosion.  The ocean is reclaiming area it once had!

PEG688

That will work , if your rafters are the same OC as your studs.

I do get a kick out of the use of the A35's behind the solid / anti rotation blocking, Engineers are Architects love those things d*

We have a similar beach here on Whidbey , the area isn't as steep so slides are not as big a deal , but last year we had a couple of storms that took out a seawall , a guy with a track-hoe spent all summer re-doing about 12 to 14 of them. I bet he made , or hope he did, enought profit to pay for a new machine as all that saltwater has trashed the track hoe. Maybe it's all he does , I'm not sure but his machine looked pretty hammered / rusty.

Like Glenn said people want to live where they shouldn't. I hope they have deep pockets , beach houses are money pits , if it's not land slides it's light fixtures , gate hardware , door hardware , glass , etc , it all wears out in a couple of years from exposure .

PEG688

BTW I'd still lag that ledger on , I tend not to like metal straps , yes they hold , but really only once things are pulled apart. I can't describe that very well , in words , but when you demo things straps and metal clips bend pretty easy , yes they do hold the two things together  but not in the "right"  shape.

IMO straps , and most light weight metal connectors are poor "solutions " to bad building practices. If that make sense??  ??? d*

Heavy metal is well worth the effort , "where it is needed".

Did he mention anchoring those post ? That is key to uplift resistance , if you don't hold those down in those winds , all you have is a heavy kite , and those do not land well  d*     

glenn kangiser

Good advice as usual, PEG.

Mike -- thanks for posting those pix.  It took 40 years -- I guess some of them were there longer than that, but, we always thought people who built right on the edge of the ocean were going to wish they hadn't some day.  The rocks are only a little expensive stop gap measure.  The ocean will continue to do remodeling as it desires.

MountainDon

Quote from: PEG688 on February 03, 2008, 12:51:21 PM
IMO straps , and most light weight metal connectors are poor "solutions " to bad building practices. If that make sense??  ??? d*
Makes perfect sense to me
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Quote from: MountainDon on February 03, 2008, 01:49:59 PM
]
Makes perfect sense to me

Thanks Glenn and Mtn. D. Sometime I type things and wonder " Will they know what I'm saying???"  That strap line was one of those , "  I wonder" lines.  d*  d*