door header under rafter ties

Started by Wibekah, December 18, 2007, 03:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wibekah

Hi,

We now have our roof finished and shingled and we're framing the upper floor  in our 20 x 28 cottage.  There will be a bedroom and a study which are separated by the closet.  The rafter ties are 83 inches above the floor and  I don't know how to fit a header in for a 30 inch wide pre-hung door which requires a rough opening that is 82 1/2" high.  I am also afraid that we were supposed to double the floor joists under the walls which run parallel to the joists.  We can still do this, although it won't be fun.  Is it an actual code requirement?  My husband thinks we can get by just centering the sole plate over an existing joist and nailing into that.

Thanks,

Sasha

PEG688

If it's non bearing which it sounds like it is you can do without a true header . A 3/4" on the flat 1x4 nailer would be all you'd need , something to nail the casing to and line up the "two" wall sections on either side of the door.

Interior non bearing walls do not need structural headers , only nailers for D/W and door casing really.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

John Raabe

The sidewalls in the loft should not be load bearing and do not need doubled joists. You can put in some flat blocking for better nailing if the wall falls between joists.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Wibekah

Measure twice, cut once, right?  Actually, I misread the tape, my old eyes I guess.  We have plenty of room and have frame the walls with no problems.

Thanks,

Sasha