Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Anybody else notice that the world didn't end yesterday?  [waiting]

Dissappointed... [noidea'

Well, I am making great progress on the trip to Burma... Got my visa on arrival Approvals today...

How cool is that?   

The people I am dealing with have been very prompt and courteous.  I was telling the estimator at the steel company who is from Laos I think, about my upcoming trip to Burma, which shares a border with his home country.  He replied, "They will treat you like a king."     [cool]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 22, 2012, 12:20:31 PM
He replied, "They will treat you like a king."     [cool]

I surely hope not.  You will be hard to handle when you get back if they do. ;)

Enjoy your visit. ;D

glenn kangiser

Ah yes... King Glenn of the Underground Command Center....  heh

Has a nice ring to it.... [rofl2]

Thanks, John....   :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Like many things, it depends on what king they treat you as.  Some have lost their heads...

;D ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I'll have to watch out for that.... no need to lose my head of this thing..... :)

My guess is they are going to be some of the nicest people in the world as I have seen in the few other countries I have been to.  If they are anything like Myo,  Thang and family, then I have nothing to worry about....

glenn kangiser

Oysters and tempura again yesterday, along with so tempura sweet potatoes and broccoli.  I should get the dishes washed this morning too..... [ouch]

Studying up for Burma, I did a search on Netflix last night and found three movies.... One focused on the beauty of Burma, one focused on the start of change and one on the previous government system that is now being changed.  I hope it continues to improve for my friends there and all of the people of Burma.  It has been in a time warp since about 1962 isolated by it's military government.  I am hoping that as it comes out of isolation it's leadership is wise enough to avoid exploitation by the west. 

The movies were:

They Call it Myanmar

Burma VJ

and the lightest one of the three from a hot air balloon point of view,,,

Encounters in a forgotten country

So long protected from outside influences.... I want to see it before the West changes it forever... may all the changes be beneficial to them.

Very enlightening and much beauty in this long closed country now opening up to the world.

glenn kangiser

Some of the things I am looking forward to seeing there ...... pictures courtesy of Myo, two years ago.... (he is a super photographer)  :)

Threshing rice...

Dinner time for the hard worker....

Plowing the field

One of my concerns is that when tractors come in many people's jobs will be replaced.  Myo said they would have to take than and environmental concerns into consideration and seek a balance beneficial to all. (Paraphrasing) 

glenn kangiser

Found some Shelf Mushrooms (fungus) today while cutting firewood. [chainsaw]

According to the book there are no known poisonous ones though some are undesirable.  Thought I would give them a try anyway. [noidea'

Reread the books.  Downloaded a couple mushroom apps for my phone.  Cut off only the best looking parts of the fresh younger ones.  Threw away the older one with a couple worms on it... yup these things do get worms.... and I sliced up and cooked a small amount of them in butter.

These are little tiny shelf fungus with the biggest being no more than 1/4 inch thick growing off the side of dead oak trees or limbs, or even off of live oaks that have dead or damaged spots on them.

I took a couple small pieces tasting about 1/2 teaspoonful.    meh...... not all that great but interesting..... :)

I can only describe the taste as that of a mushroom flavored piece of cardboard.... but hey... I tried it anyway.

Ernest T. Bass

Interesting things those mushrooms... My mom's been really getting into those lately. She makes a tea with the chaga polypores that's supposed to heal everything that ails ya'. :) Makes a good coffee substitute with a little adjusting.

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

glenn kangiser

Yes, Andrew.  They are interesting.  Seems like I have more of the dangerous ones around here than the good ones though... makes me real cautious.  [ouch]

At least some of them are pretty safe even if they don't taste too good.  :)

I have found several other types here but it takes quite a bit to safely identify some of them when you haven't seen them before, so I guess I will just take it slow and I hope always safe.  ;D

rick91351

One of the best dishes we have had in China was made with the shelf type mushrooms.  They were steamed those and a light purple colored sort of a berry flavored dough ball or dumpling would be worth flying back over for.   Remember the restaurant but what would you order?   ??? 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

You need a friend... Like Feng... He ordered for us... but we did eat chicken feet, and cow stomach and other interesting things.... :)

..... but right now I am trying to see if I still really want to eat a rat in Burma, since it is possible it could be reality soon..... [scared]

I looked at this picture a bit better, and you know... those don't look like they are well done enough for me.... [noidea'

glenn kangiser

During the last two rainstorms I have been raising up the sides of the new pond.  The top is now roughly 12'x13'  I think I will expand that a little to maybe 12 x 14 ....maybe.  [idea]

This morning it had Ice on one corner of it..... Talapia will not like that ... wonder if the bottom is warmer?  Seems it must be.. [noidea'

I will be adding a shade and a bridge to help prevent algae growth.  Cattails will be added in the shallow areas as a source of food and water filtration. :)

glenn kangiser

My trench for the new hugelkultur bed is collecting water nicely..... now all I need to do is get it filled up with wood. [ouch]

The neighbors gave me all of their old dead pines near my driveway.  That will make it pretty easy to get a significant amount of wood to get started with.  :)

ben2go

I think I am going to do mulch planters next year so I can move them as needed.

glenn kangiser

That looks like a good idea, Ben.  They could make some great raised beds..... maybe even gopher proof if you put wire on the bottom.  Around here they just come up out of the ground and go over the top if they can though.  [ouch]

I have some giant cauliflower growing right now.  This one was 12 inches across.  Pretty cold out now so the potatoes I transplanted above got their little tops frozen off but... no big deal.  Lots of other stuff still growing.

ben2go

My plan was to sit them on galvanized chicken wire and then put landscape fabric in the bottom for water drainage.I have about 20 or so old tires that I can't get rid of without pay the landfill fees.We pay the landfill fee,unload them ourselves,and then the landfill sells the tires to companies that make mats for truck beds and horse stalls.How is that fair?I'd give them but I'm not paying so they can get paid.

glenn kangiser

Good Idea, Ben.  Make use of your unnatural resources and keep big brothers hand out of your pocket... a little...   :)

I tried Quinoa for the first time this morning.  It is a grain similar to Amaranth that grows around 12000 feet elevation in the Andes.  The grains are tiny but cook up to a little bee-bee size and are described as similar to rice.  I think they might possibly grow here in the winter as they want cool weather and are not bothered by freezing except while in bloom.  Also they will not germinate while warm.  Think I will plant a little starter patch to see what happens. [ouch]

The neighbor finally let his old horse loose yesterday.  After the initial excitement of getting scared by their dog, running into the fence, getting a decent cut from it, he calmed down.  I did not expect him to find his way to the my corral for a while, but actually he beat me back over the 1/4 mile from the cul-de-sac where I first saw the neighbors checking him out.  Hes a friendly old horse... too old to ride, but now when kids ask if I have a horse, I can say, "Sure.. right over there. " 

glenn kangiser

I have been a pretty busy little beaver today.... I know... good trick, eh?  [waiting]

Got up early - it was an overcast but decent day so figured I better plant some of the plants I bought and the ones I bought earlier that were sitting around for a week or so...

So I planted 2 kinds of Rhubarb here... hoping I beat the gophers to it this year.... and about 16 asparagus plants.... root crowns....   Good start I guess.

I wheeled loads of pond bottom sand up the hill as well as loads of manure and some wood ashes to amend the soil a bit as directed in my organic gardening book.  Hopefully the plants appreciate that....

I also planted more winter vegetables on the upper terrace.  Need to keep that year round food supply going.....maybe the Mayans were just off a week or two.... heh

Also... note that I did mulch the top between the plants on the upper terrace with composted manure and wood chips as directed in the "Back to Eden" video.... Yay... [ouch]

After that I grabbed a couple of big logs with the forklift and took them to the woodshed area, cut them up with the chainsaw and split some to have an adequate supply of fire wood for the next storm....  8)

Grasshopper... you better quit fiddling around and get ready for winter....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM1DgihKHVI

glenn kangiser

The neighbor can't believe that his horse has not left my corral since he made a beeline for it the morning they let him loose...  He likes the company of the cows when they are there but when they leave he stays on.  [ouch]

OK... so I do give him a little hay....[hungry]

....... and I did get a little bag of grain for seniors for him.  Though the neighbor first said he was too old to ride, I asked him about it yesterday and it looks like some gentle riding might be possible.  Studying on line, I find the consensus is about 90% for a bit of easy riding and exercise that most say would do him good.

The feed store was out of curry combs the other day but should have one in mid-week.

Once he is a bit more used to being here maybe I will give it a try..... [noidea'

glenn kangiser

Finally got the wheel back on the trailer, the battery charged up for the dump bed and the tire repaired and back on the rim for the Bobcat....

Why can't anything be easy around here?....... [noidea'

.... Doing all of that allowed me to move the rocks out of the way for the new improved hugelkultur bed and actually go down to the neighbors and get a log and part of the down tree he gave me to start filling the bed I dug out with the backhoe a couple weeks ago.... [ouch]

Here is about a 25 foot log from the old tree that was down... now to get after the other one and get some progress..... [waiting]

ben2go

Nothing like home gardening with heavy equipment.  [cool]

kenhill

Glenn, do some checking around about using Fireplace ashes for gardening.  I think I read somewhere where this is now discouraged.  Something about the trees uptake trace amounts of radioactive materials from the soil that get concentrated when pounds of wood are converted to ounces of ash.  Or maybe I have been watching too many sci-fi movies lately!!!

rick91351

I have seen such as well as a hundred other warnings about ashes in the garden.  There must be something to it mom lived to only to 83 and smoke cigarettes like crazy, mowed country huge lawn twice a week with a non self propelled Lawn Boy mower until about 75, dad lived to be 96.  Gee if they just would have listened.

:D  Rick

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

I have heard some of those new warnings also, Kenhill.  I'm kind of with Rick on this.

I also read that the plants ashes have all the trace minerals needed for the plants to grow and that is what is left when the tree is burned. The charcoal (yuppie term... biochar) purifies the soil and picks up heavy metals too.  The Native Americans burned everything to make good fields for their animals, deer etc and to clear brush so the acorns and pine nuts were easier to get.   

Another study showed plants to not show a lot of change immediately but over the years the gardens with ashes added grew much better.  I also find that too much at once isn't good though.  I think I will add them moderately.  Keep all of the study writers happy.

It's like salt... supposedly so bad for you then another study came out that said they were all wrong and salt is actually good for you..... [ouch]

I say it is good for you unless you have a specific personal problem with it... keeps those synapses firing properly...good electrolyte... [noidea'

I use all of the salt I want and let it crystallize out on my T-shirt to get rid of the excess.... works for me...now if I can just get the cat to stop licking me all will be well...  [waiting]