Post and beam.  How do you keeps pipes from f

Started by Cabin_John, April 07, 2006, 12:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cabin_John

How do you insulate under a cabin crawl space if you build with post and beam.  I am afraid that the plumbing might freeze.  I like the idea of Post and beam beceause it seems like less ground work than digging the foundation.

Billy Bob

"Cabin_John, did you mean the post and pier type foundation? " Post and beam" gets me thinking about the old fashioned framing system, using large timbers.

If you did mean post and pier, I think that was discussed awhile back, tho' I can't find it now.

My thought, and which I may well do myself, is to close in the under side of the joists with something like hardboard, then pour in cellulose insulation, like you would in an attic, and finish with a vapor barrier.  The hardboard works O.K. in mobile homes, and would probably be great over a proper crawl space,( many mobile homes used to be "parked" over raw earth, so with time the moisture causes the hardboard to degrade and fall off, taking the insulation with it; a proper ventilated crawl space should eliminate this, plus the joists offer better nailing.)  A better idea might be foam insulation board.

I like the idea of the cellulose, because it flows around pipes, wires, lap joints, etc., without leaving gaps the way fiberglass can.  It will also kind of seal up small cracks, and so cut down on air infiltration.  Maybe the best part is not having to cut itchy fiberglass batts!

Stand by for more ideas from the smarter folks!
[smiley=smiley.gif] And good luck.
Bill

manhattan42

The simplest method is to build a sealed crawlspace.

Pier construction is not really that much cheaper and only creates more problems.

Your water service pipe would need to be insulated to get into the house, but once there the main, risers and branches can be distributed through the interior walls and floors or even in attic floors where the pipes would be covered by insulation.