Donations to defray cost of our website.

Started by Okie_Bob, April 06, 2006, 08:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okie_Bob

I just can't get over the overwhelming help and support I've gotten out of this website. I've learned more from you all than I would have ever dreamed possible. My most recent subject, foundation help, generated more information that I could have received by paying a consultant a heafty fee. Manhattan, a newbie, even apologized because he couldn't get back to me for a couple of days due to his work schedule!!!! AWESOME!
I can't begin to mention all the help I've gotten from John and Glenn, especially. I could name many others.

The reason I'm writing all this is that I wonder if everyone else feels the way I do? The fact this is a free site
is just great as it allows many to join in that might not otherwise if this were a pay site. And I'd hate to lose anyone, even if they don't do anything but lurk in the shadows and learn from the posts of others.
I have no idea what it costs to keep up a website like this but, I'm pretty sure it isn't cheap. I for one would like to make a donation to help defray at least some of the costs and if John makes a few bucks that would be even better.
I understand John makes a little from the sale of his plans and maybe a little from book sales. But, I'd really hate to see this site go away because of lack of funding.
Therefore, I propose that those of us that can, contribute something. I don't know where to mail my check to John or how to make it out. I call this 'our' website because I feel like it belongs to all of us. Without John, it wouldn't exist, that I'm sure of. It's not right for him to not profit something for all his effors.
Anyway, that's the way I feel about it. I hope others will help too.
Okie Bob

glenn kangiser

That's all up to John.  I'm just lowly cheap volunteer labor.

I'm just here to share advice given to me freely by my uncle ond others over the years and I share what other  little bit I've learned along the way also.

I'm here at John's request to answer questions about the Underground Cabin--- since it is hard to find good quality help these days, John is stuck with someone who doesn't know when to shutup.

Thanks for providing the site to share information, John -- maybe you should add a donate button.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Okie_Bob

Glenn, you are an integral part of the success of this site. Without your help, I suspect John would not be able to keep it up and for that we are all forever greatful. Course, your views are always a bit jaded by the fact you are in the People's Republic of California, also know as Granoloa land, home of the fruit, flakes and nuts.
It's good to see it hasn't taken you over yet but, we have to keep praying for you Glenn, never know whern you might run into some hippie clan out there underground in the dessert and start drinking their kool aid or something. Thanks Glenn, you are greatly appreciated by all.
Okie Bob

glenn kangiser

Garsh :-[  I never was accused of being sane, BoB.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Thanks for the verbal support and encouragement.

Personally, I'm not real comfortable with a donation type business model. Especially when products are being sold. I don't have anything against non-profits (which should set up if you are going to accept donations) - however, I much prefer the market based model where people tell you which way to go by spending their own money. I would not want to be cut off from that model.

Also non-profits can more easily drift into ego land where a do-gooder mentality sets in and makes them feel superior to the groveling masses.

There is already too much ego in architecture. That's why I try to do simple plans - stripped of most of the ego (add it back in as needed for personal flavor).

The other day the manager of a SIPS company called to say they had built a version of the Grandfather Cottage and had put the building up in 14 hours. He said it was really fun working with the house and the easy to use plans. He said it was refreshing to work with a "clean" set of plans that had everything needed to build the house and nothing more.

I liked that image.

That said, I would like to find a way for Glenn to be better compensated for his time. (Better compensated!!??  ;D) Maybe we can find a way to help him with this volunteer position. Perhaps there are others who would like to vounteer and have administrative powers  :o. (It is true that I can no longer keep up with all the posts, and without some help monitoring the threads it would probably drift into Spamland).
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Sassy

Hey CountryPlans family, this forum keeps Glenn outta trouble...  :-/ ;) Sassy
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Jimmy C.

I am sure the forum members at CountryPlans.com have saved me a over a thousand dollars in rework alone. And possibly a finger or an arm!
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

glenn kangiser

I'm doing fine John --no problem and I don't feel the need to be constipated. :-/

bartholomew

If spamming does get out of hand I'd be happy to join the Spam Patrol. Deleting spam sounds like fun, and I usually check in several times during my work day anyway (don't know how I'd manage without some kind of escape). Only thing is, I'm in the same time zone as you and Glenn. Between the two of you I've only noticed spam one time and you were already mopping it up. Still, if it would be useful or you just need vacation coverage, let me know.

glenn kangiser

I vote for Bart, John.  He'd be a great assistant. :)