Insulation Advice?

Started by Jerryd, April 02, 2006, 08:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerryd

Hello everyone, I'm wondering if anyone out there has any experience with either cotton wall insulation (such as Ultra-Touch) or formaldehyde/dye free fiberglass batts (such as Miraflex) I'm trying to make a responsible insulation choice for a small semi-remote conventionally stick built cabin here in New England. I need a product I can install myself, that wont push the building inspector too far.
Have you used those or similar products before? Would you again? Any problems? Cost comparisons? Recommendations?
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot, I've already learned a bunch just looking over the forum. -J

glenn kangiser

There was another recent thread here about the Ultra touch and another brand I found.  I was at the house yesterday that used the Ultratouch because of his wife's allergies.  He is happy with it - I think its a bit high on price- seems the other similar product was cheaper.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

manhattan42

Use High Density Fiberglass batt insulation.

It has the same R-value as icynene or similar spray foams per inch and is the least costly of all insulations.

Most major manufacturers like Owens-Corning, Johns-Manville, and Certainteed make it.

You can get an R-15 for 4" walls and R-22 for 6" walls.

John Raabe

All the fiberglass insulations you can buy now are formaldehyde free. Once properly installed there is nothing coming from the insulation to the interior. You should follow the installation instructions with any insulation as there short term exposure issues (even to cotton insulation, fibers, dust, etc.)
None of us are as smart as all of us.