Mirroring wing in Grandfather Cottage

Started by pforden, June 20, 2006, 12:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pforden

Because I have been extremely scattered (living in three states and responding to the needs of some of my eight presumably adult kids, my siblings, etc., on and off) since we bought the plans, I can only hope that I have not asked this question before. If I have, please forgive me.
We are planning to mirror the kitcen-bathroom wing on the Grandfather Cottage on the other side of the building beside the master bedroom. I am assuming that we can attach this as the other side is attached, just flipping the plan (and of course changing the interior). Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Our FasWall construction guy does consult with a local architect on plans for a small fee, so we feel pretty sure we can figure this out, but I would like it to be EASY. We are still considering frame if the FasWall proves to be more expensive and time consuming -- we are looking for less expensive, more solid, and quicker, a lot of components to balance.
Thanks.
Penny

John Raabe

Yes, you can just duplicate the roof trusses on the addition wing. There are other ways to do the roof but that will be the most direct and simple. It should also add symmetry to the front elevation. You should look at that when you consider window and door placement.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

pforden

John,
Thanks for the thoughts regarding symmetry. I have been hard at work with the 3D HA working this out and was not especially considering the front view... more interested in gaining some added office space and a small bath. The cottage really lends itself to a great deal of variation and I am trying to go for a classic bungalow look while at the same time opening the rooms up some. We shall see where we wind up.
More as we go along.
Penny