Homeowners Insurance on a Little House

Started by Spyke, June 15, 2006, 07:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spyke

I am having a hard time finding an insurance company that will insure my little house. Basically it is the pier foundation which scares them off.

Anyone have a suggestion on who will insure a little house on piers without spending big bucks?

Pa_Kettle

Funny, we are having issues trying to insure our 14x24 Little House.  I think we've got it where we can insure the structure while building by calling it a barn. :P

The problem comes when we want to insure it once it's built.  Apparently State Farm won't insure a building that is heated by wood only.  I can only guess this is due to do fears of water damage when frozen pipes burst.  The other issue is, we have to have electricity and plumbing or they won't insure it.

We just starting making calls today, so hopefully we can find a company that will insure a "rustic" or "hunting" cabin.  Even if they want to call it a storage building that's fine with me.  I'm just looking to cover the cost of materials and some labor if we ever had to rebuild.

Spyke maybe you can try to get insurance just for fire and wind.

PK

n74tg

I have had nothing but trouble trying to get builders risk insurance on house I'm building; main reason - because I can't finish it in less than one year.  

I feel your grief.

Amanda_931

Hmmm.  I thought that one of our insurance guys would go two years for builder's risk--he's mostly got Cotton States insurance.  Was more expensive on post and pier, a lot more expensive with a wood stove--but not a mass type masonry heater or even a Rumford fireplace--sounds like fire concerns there, not freezing.  Maybe with good reasons--there are stories in the paper every year about house fires in wood stove-heated houses.

But I haven't talked to him about that in over a year.

Propane (or even electric) backup for the water pipes and fixtures in the kitchen/bathroom area?  (One good reason to have those pretty well clustered anyway)

StinkerBell

Here is my thought. I do not know how much your home cost to build. Is it possibe to at least get renters/content insurance? It is usually cheaper then home owners (at least my experience). Then with the money you save monthly/annually place that in a savings account and then you have something to draw on in an event you have issue with your home. Make sense?

Chuckca

Forget an AGENT ie. Statefarm & Farmers.  Talk to an insurance BROKER - one that works with farmers and contractors.  A broker will shop for the coverages you need.  He's not loyal to the big company.