Propane appliances

Started by kev_alaska, June 08, 2006, 02:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev_alaska

I am going to be gutting out an old camper in order to make use of the appliances at the cabin. there is a stove, oven, heater and refrigerator. Everything is dual fuel, electric and propane. The stove and oven are no problem. Is there anything special I have to do for the refrigerator to run it on just propane? I am planning on building a new cabinet for them to sit in and plumbing both to the cabin propane supply. I have ordered the manual for the refrigerator from the supplier, just don't have it on hand yet. Hopefully there is no need for the existing truck 12 volt system?
Stealing ideas from John, PEG and Glenn for a several years now.......

rdzone

I wouldn't scrap the 12 volt stuff to soon.  The fridge in my camper is electronically controlled, ie circuit boards.  The electronics light the pilot light for the propane and manage the temp.  I am not sure how old your fridge is, but you still might need the 12 volt parts.
Chuck

kev_alaska

this one is pretty old, I am guessing early 80's....I haven't torn into it yet to see how much is electrically controlled. I have to update the propane lines (this one predates the Overfill Protection connection mandate) to set up my test run in the garage.
Stealing ideas from John, PEG and Glenn for a several years now.......

glenn kangiser

Ours does not require the 12v.  Propane is more efficient than the 12 or 120 v-- they are just heaters.

Newer ones may require 12v for control.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

My dual-fuel (newer than yours) refrigerator is 120 AC and propane.  What I saw when I looked at catalogs a few years ago seem to be either that or triple fuel (the third one being 12v DC).

But the interior light--and the little LED's to show that it's working--are 12v DC.

You might check to see if that's all you've got that's 12v.