20 x 28 with 2nd bedroom in upstate ny

Started by new land owner, May 15, 2011, 04:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Gage

That's an exciting point to be at when you can start to see how it's going to be. Looking good.

Alan

Jeff922

"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"

new land owner

Spent a couple of days at camp getting some of the inside framing complete.  Beacuse of my truss desing I had to build out the ends and frame 2 x 4's to duplicate the trusses.  I started with placing a 2 x 8 vertically at 16" on center so I would be able to insulate the upper part of the wall.  This is the before picture.

And this is after I installed the framing.

I also framed up the closet, bedroom wall and the wall dividing the bathroom from the kitchen.  Again before picture.

And the after.

My plan is to complete the top of the closet and place doors on the bedroom side so I will be able to use the extra space for storage. The small open area next to the closet is for the kitchen pantry.

new land owner

I have a bad case of cabin fever!  I have spent the last few weeks planning the electrical and plumbing plan for camp.  I am just waiting for the weather to break.  Down in the finger lakes there is no snow but just a few hours north there is about three feet on the ground.  It will be at least another month for it to go away.  I bought a Pex clamping tool at Lowes the other day and I have created a manifold set up for my water supply.

I have 4 outlets one cold for the toilet, and a set of hot and cold for the tub/shower, bathroom vanity, one the kitchen sink.   Can't wait for the weather to change.

new land owner

Spent the weekend working on my Kitchen and Bathroom cabinets

Here is my bathroom vanity.  I still need to make the drawers and doors.

Here are a couple of pictures of the kitchen cabinets.  It will be a "U" shape and looks like it will work well.  I have built all of the doors I just have the drawers to build. Now if the snow would ever go away!

new land owner

Worked some more on my cabinets today.  All I have left now is to build the drawers and doors.

One of the first things I need to do this spring is to get a porch put on my camp. I need to complete this so I can also shingle the roof. I am trying to figure out how long my rafters will be and what angle I will have to cut when I intersect for 8/12 pitch roof with the 4/12 pitch of the roof.  It is going to look like this.

Any ideas?

Don_P

Don't have enough info for rafter length but this should help with the top cut.
tan-1(8/12)=33.69 degrees
plus
arc tan(4/12)=18.435 degrees
add em up=52.125 degrees top angle on porch rafter.

new land owner

Thanks Don.

I intend to build the porch deck, Frame up the front wall and then figure the length of the rafters.  The cut angle you gave me will help out with this.

drainl

Great job on the cabinets!  Look forward to seeing the doors on.

nysono

Quote from: new land owner on March 04, 2012, 08:02:30 PM
I have a bad case of cabin fever!  I have spent the last few weeks planning the electrical and plumbing plan for camp.  I am just waiting for the weather to break.  Down in the finger lakes there is no snow but just a few hours north there is about three feet on the ground. It will be at least another month for it to go away.   I bought a Pex clamping tool at Lowes the other day and I have created a manifold set up for my water supply.

I have 4 outlets one cold for the toilet, and a set of hot and cold for the tub/shower, bathroom vanity, one the kitchen sink.   Can't wait for the weather to change.

the snow went fast, I had 2 feet at camp 2 weeks ago and it is gone!!  I drove in for the first time since December on 3/20/12, that was a nice feeling, now I can get back at it too

new land owner

Looks like it will be gone up north as well.  I am going to take a run up next weekend! can't wait to get started!

new land owner

went up this past weekend to do some work.  This is the earliest I have been able to drive right in to camp.  It was cold but once you start working it really was not too bad.

I finished the framing of the interior walls.

This is the closet that separates the living room from a bedroom.  The small closet at the end is a pantry for the kitchen.

This is the bedroom side with a large opening, on top, that i will frame in and put doors on for additional storage.

I spent a lot of my time running wire for the camp.  I have used 500 Ft so far and am sure i will be able to finish with just one more 250ft roll.

Having a crawl space of 6' high works great for running the wiring.  I pulled 13 circuits and am going to drill down next to every outlet, pull the wire thru the crawl space and back up to the next box.  There is alot of running up and down stairs but it makes for a very clean installation and no issue when doing the insulation.

Lastly I was getting some black staining in the basement so I sent the last morning putting in a new vent, Spraying all black spots with clorox and them putting down a vapor barrier. 

new land owner

Another vacation spent at camp!

I started my porch by building the deck.

I put screen down so at some point I could make this into a screened in porch

It was hard to keep the boards straight but the whole deck came out to 1 1/2" from the wall at the end.  I cut a piece of decking 1 1/4" to leave space between the deck and the wall of the camp.

I will be building the porch railings next so it will look like this when complete.  I think it will give it the "cabin" looks!

AdironDoc

Quote from: new land owner on May 24, 2012, 03:59:12 PM

I will be building the porch railings next so it will look like this when complete.  I think it will give it the "cabin" looks!

Ah yes, Adirondack style. Was thinking to do the same, whenever the rest of the projects wrap up. So many things to do, never enough time. Why does the day job always seem to get in the way of doing what's more important?  :P

BTW, I also have a PWF basement and have noticed a musty odor what with all the rain we've had in the 'dacks lately. I hadn't considered putting down a sheet of plastic as the builder supposedly put a thick sheet under the crushed stone to begin with. Do you have any vapor barrier beneath your stone? If so, won't you sandwich moisture indefinitely?

Looking great though! Keep the photos coming!

Doc

new land owner

Doc

The plastic was put down because I do not have any plastic under the crushed stone.  Last fall I was running into a problem with mold.  My brother in law is convinced that the new PT wood had so much moisture in it that it was the problem. I put additional vents in the mudroom and the plastic down and thing are much better.  I did spray the entire underside of my camp with clorox and nothing more has seemed to appear. I was surprise how fast the clorox seemed to clear up the mold.

Tom

new land owner

I also had a chance to bring my cabinets up to camp and place them where they will be installed.  My garage seems so big without them in it! 

My wife had an idea to use punched tin as an insert for the cabinet doors.

This is a view of my bathroom cabinet.

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

new land owner

Forgot to mention the fact that I passed my framing inspection.  He was scheduled to come on Saturday but showed up friday afternoon.  He said my PWF was the first he had seen.  He was very complimentary of my build and told me he would only have to come back for insulation and final.  Nice to have that part behind me!

Squirl

Congratulations.

I've watched this and a lot of your other work on here.  It is not a huge surprise.   ;) :D

new land owner

I have been working on some other projects for my camp.

I have built and primed the window casings.

I have built all of the porch railings

The latest project is to build a bench for my kitchen table. Here are some progess pictures of this.

Headed back up next weekend to start working on the roof.  Have Shingles gone up everywhere or just in my area.  My roof is going to cost me at least 40% more than I planned!

CjAl

i like that bench, and you can never have too much storage in a cabin

AdironDoc

rich2Vermont

The bench is terrific! I hope to build in something not unlike this in our place. Thanks for the inspiration.

new land owner

Thanks for the positive comments.

When I build I like to start without a plan and see how it turns out.

To get the proper angle of the back I used a kithcen chair and stood a board next to it, drew a line and cut it on the table saw.

When I finish my bench I felt it was too short so I put a board on the bottom to raise it up a little, that came to be one of my favorite parts of the bench.

What can I build next? lol

AdironDoc

If you had one more bench and a table in between, you'd have a full breakfast nook! Will it be going up against a hallway wall?