Countryplans Book Suggestions: Great, if UPS can get'em to ya...

Started by ajbremer, October 22, 2011, 03:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajbremer

Saturday - October 22nd, 2011 Oklahoma

I learned about the best building books from countryplans Books link. I bought the first two so far and I've been wearing them out. The first two I bought were:

"House Framing" by John D. Wagner (This one has helped me the most)

"Visual Handbook of Building and Remodeling" by Charlie Wing

I thought I would go and order my third building book, "Graphic Guide to Frame Construction" by Rob Thallon so I went to amazon and ordered it next day mail - paid extra to do that. Well, about a week ago I went on Advantech's website and ordered a sample of their flooring and FedEx brought it out to my place (a long 911 address) with no problems, with just one phone call when they were just down the road...no problem. Well, UPS said I gave them an 'incorrect address' when in fact I gave them the correct address. I called them, they said sorry - they'll try again Monday. Oh well, that's not the first problem I've had with UPS.
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

Don_P

Hmm, my experiences have been just the opposite. UPS can get here reliably and knows to just drop packages under the sawmill shelter. FedEx has yet to get a package here on the first try. They also require someone to be here to sign for it which has involved 2 lost days for each package. If I could just get vendors to respect my instructions on who to ship through it'd make my day.

MountainDon

I have never had an issue with UPS either. DHL was another matter.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Rob_O

Quote from: MountainDon on October 22, 2011, 07:29:50 AM
I have never had an issue with UPS either. DHL was another matter.

Something like 12 years ago, DHL and USPS had some sort of a deal going where USPS got the package to the local city and DHL delivered it... but USPS would change the physical address to the PO box used for regular mail and DHL could not deliver because they didn't have the physical address

As the man said, "Stupid is as stupid does..."
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

MountainDon

There's still lots of that sort of mix today; FedEx has a similar deal where they take the parcel/envelope across country and the PO delivers it to the home or PO Box.

My issue with DHL was on a more of a personnel level; they had two don't give a damn drivers. On two occasions I knew about the driver didn't even try to deliver the package on the day they should have; Fridays in both cases. I only found out because of the onlibe tracking that is available. The web site indicated "driver attempted delivery, nobody home" when I was home all day. We're at the end of their route, everybody seems to deliver late in the day, and I think the driver just wanted off early. They got fired after I talked to a supervisor; or so they told me. That could happen with any delivery company I suppose, but UPS has been exemplary for the decades we've lived here. And the UPS driver in the mnountains waves everytime we see him on the highway.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.