Previous topic - Next topic

cantilever OK?

pier spacing
0 (0%)
beam sizing
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

dug

I'm ready to dig holes for concrete piers (20 by 30 1 1/2 story) and have a few questions.
Using the 8 in. concrete piers and placing a 5 1/2 in. beam on top, the pier would extend 1 1/4 in. outside the beam. I would like to use some sort of skirting (probably metal) and drop it straight down from the beam to the ground. Could I cantilever the joists a few inches beyond the beams? Could I run the beams a few inches past the piers?
I've carefullly read the plans but still am unsure if I need to use an end beam for attaching front porch.
A few years down the road (if and when money allows) I would like to add full wraparound porch. Would moving the piers slightly inboard affect this decision?
Got a few more (questions) but will wait for response on this as these are the main issues preventing me from swinging a pick into the ground (no shovel- mostly rock here!)

PEG688

I would say you could move the piers and beams inboard as much a 12" , but 6" would do what you'd like to do.

As far as the  gable end walls , you'll be bolting your deck rim to the box sill / end floor joist so no beam on the gable end would be required. If high wind and blowing rain are a issue , you could drop your deck down 3" or so for a "short step up into the building , this allows for a better flashing / more effective flashing at the door against water getting under the door sill.

G/L PEG       
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

PEG688

BTW my comments assume you are putting your joist on TOP of your beams , not hanging them off the inside of the beams. 
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

dug

yes, I am setting joists on top of rafters.
As to the main beams- The book I have (code check complete) says that  joist beams supporting roof, ceiling, and 1 clear span floor (20 ft. building width) need be 2 2 by 12's to span 7 ft. 1 in.. My plans call for 3 2 by 12's and 2 1/2 in plywood to span 7 ft. 6 in. I am not trying to be cheap but I am on a severely limited budget and every dollar counts. Am I reading this wrong or would this be sufficient?
Thanks for prompt answer on joist overhang.   

dug

oops, I guess that last question was a dumb one, I should have stated that I am using 3 beams instead of 2 (as in plans). Code check book says 2 2 by 12's will span 8 ft. 1 in. for roof ceiling and 1 center bearing wall. If I did go this route I would sandwich 1/2 in. ply between them to fit 4 by bracket.
thanks in advance for any input.