Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Nah!  You're up at 3:30am!  I never get up before 4 LOL

pmichelsen

JavaMan

Lookin' GOOD!  Wishin' I was as far along on my place... but next year - beginning in the spring.

Yeah, that looks like a good beginning to a wrap around porch/deck  ;)  I'm guessing that late next year, that bug will probably bite you - after all... you need a place for the hot tub!

OlJarhead

Not quite finished but getting there :)  Have to come back to finish the porch walls (to the rafters) so the bugs can't get in but for now it's secure (more or less) and won't get wet inside ;)

OlJarhead

One of my challenges is that I did not think about placing the rafters over the walls of the old porch.  I just marked off 19.2" and nailed them down...I also didn't think about blocking placement  d*  I just kept going (in a hurry) and placed the blocks in the line I'd started.  I should have stopped and placed the blocks over the porch wall I think.

So now I have to decide how to build the walls on the porch to get up to the roof so I can sheet it in and insulate the whole thing...I'm still pondering this.

OlJarhead

Action shot :)

My knees and back are sore...come to think of it so are my hands and just about everything else!  But I managed to get a lot done :)  Even cleaned the chimney, rotated the composter drum and added compost...heck, probably did other stuff too but my mind is a fuzzy thing today...I need to work to recover from this cabin trip! lol

pmichelsen

Would it work to just attach a top plate to the bottom of your 1X and then fill in with studs where needed. Since it's not supporting any weight you really just need something to hold the sheathing right? You'd just have to notch your sheathing around your blocking.

After doing my roof the back of my knees were extremely tender from my knee pads, not sure if it would have been worse or better without wearing the pads.

OlJarhead

Quote from: pmichelsen on September 26, 2016, 03:33:26 PM
Would it work to just attach a top plate to the bottom of your 1X and then fill in with studs where needed. Since it's not supporting any weight you really just need something to hold the sheathing right? You'd just have to notch your sheathing around your blocking.

After doing my roof the back of my knees were extremely tender from my knee pads, not sure if it would have been worse or better without wearing the pads.

Kneepads -- this is why I don't always wear them!  Just kills me but I should have opted for them this weekend as the knees are sore...it's a trade off I guess.

On the walls -- yes I think I could have done that or any number of other ideas ;)  Just mashing them around in my head to decide what's best.  I'm using my own lumber for sheeting too though so notching is a little more difficult since each piece is a 1x6...but there are ways around all that ;)

Gary O

Love watching you work, OJ.

Knees;
I pal from a tire company told me sewing a pocket to yer levis over the knee, then stuffing them, beats heck outta pads or no pads

keep a fire
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

ksBrandon

I've always liked the look of your place, but that porch makes it look even better!  Almost as jealous of you lighting fires in the stove already...  As I read that post the other day, it was around 90 here in Kansas.

OlJarhead

Quote from: ksBrandon on September 27, 2016, 02:48:35 PM
I've always liked the look of your place, but that porch makes it look even better!  Almost as jealous of you lighting fires in the stove already...  As I read that post the other day, it was around 90 here in Kansas.

Got down to 35F the other day ;) and I love the woodstove when it gets cold :D

I have to admit that the porch is making a HUGE impression on me!  Can't wait 'till I can sit there and have my morning coffee....or just hang out waiting for deer to come by!  ha!

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on September 27, 2016, 03:46:53 PM
Got down to 35F the other day ;) and I love the woodstove when it gets cold :D

I have to admit that the porch is making a HUGE impression on me!  Can't wait 'till I can sit there and have my morning coffee....or just hang out waiting for deer to come by!  ha!

Oh, I'm glad to hear about that temp.... I'm guessing it was at least another 5 degrees colder (at least) at my place... which means the concrete would have been exposed to freezing overnight.  Glad I made the call I did.

Your place is looking more and more like an honest-to-goodness homestead!

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on September 27, 2016, 04:03:08 PM
Oh, I'm glad to hear about that temp.... I'm guessing it was at least another 5 degrees colder (at least) at my place... which means the concrete would have been exposed to freezing overnight.  Glad I made the call I did.

Your place is looking more and more like an honest-to-goodness homestead!

Nope.  It may well have been warmer.  I am often a couple degrees warmer in the winter than down in the valley below me (500 feet or so) but much colder than down in the OK valley (2000 feet or more below me).

Remember, while it is colder in the mountains, cold air flows downhill ;)

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on September 27, 2016, 10:58:27 PM
Nope.  It may well have been warmer.  I am often a couple degrees warmer in the winter than down in the valley below me (500 feet or so) but much colder than down in the OK valley (2000 feet or more below me).

Remember, while it is colder in the mountains, cold air flows downhill ;)

True, but only as long as the air below is warmer  ;D  And yeah, my place seems to always be colder than down in the OK Valley (especially down near Omak) by at least 15-20 degrees

OlJarhead

While not at the cabin I did manage to work on some projects that will affect it :)  For one, I brought our old ATV (we have two) home on the last trip and stripped it down.  I replaced the ignition (new keys too) which had been cut off by a 'friend' who was trying to hot-wire it (I said he could hot-wire it and that was a mistake) and pulled the battery which was toast so I ordered a new one.  Next step is to get it running again after replacing a fuel line and cleaning it up, then I'll run it over to a friends who used to own a motorcycle shop and he will clean and rebuild the carb and then I'll rebuild the breaks and make even get the spray bombed paint off it....lastly I think I'll replace the seat cover or the whole seat and pain the metal to protect it.  Once done it can winter at home in the garage.

Next I set to rebuilding my broken chainsaw.  I've got it torn down and partially rebuilt but had to order a gasket for it so when that comes in I can finally get it finished.  Seems it came with the carb settings set too lean and not knowing that I ran it too hot, didn't break it in right and burned it up.  Should have been a warranty thing but I didn't learn that until after I tore it down so it's on me.

Not much else going on except some garage organization which will help set me up to do some wood working at home when away from the cabin :)

OlJarhead

First afternoon of sitting on the deck in the rain :) I like hearing the rain on the metal roof above me and being able to sit here enjoying a drink and relaxing to the quiet of the woods :)

Too bad my Honey couldn't be here with me but she does plan on coming out later in the month ;)

I managed to get the broken snow plow down to the neighbors and he has a plan to rebuild it so it will be good to go before the snow flies! I then got some plastic on the east wall of the porch -- the only wall that might have a chance of getting some rain in through it as it's covered by only a foot (or a little more) of roof and the top of the wall is still open. Won't get any major construction done today as I don't have the time to pull out all the tools, get work done and get it all back in the shed before dark. And as I'm off grid when it gets dark you're done! No extra lighting around here.

I may get in the loft and work on some paneling though since my Kindle is dead and I'm charging it up now so I can read later.

Otherwise I may just relax on the porch and enjoy the rest of the afternoon

OlJarhead

Finally got around to doing a little paneling.  This was a section I was having a little trouble with in my head but when it came down to it, it was actually pretty simple and I did it with a hand saw and knife!

Having notched the first row under the ties I started the upper row but stopped as I need to fix the insulation before continuing but since I now know it's actually pretty easy to do I'll get to it this fall and have it done this winter :)

ChugiakTinkerer

I really like the look of the paneling.  Is that some of the T&G you were working on a few months back?

[cool]
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

OlJarhead

Yup :)  I was working on it this past winter so I could finish off the interior.  It all came from Ponderosa Pine on the property that I cut down, milled, dried, planed and routered :)

OlJarhead

https://youtu.be/FPl3kNtzgQE
Got my saw back together :)  I hope to use it a little to break it in on Sunday on a milling job.  I'm now running pre-mix 40:1 in it to help provide some better lube and plan to mod the carb jet screws so I can fatten it up a bit (since they are EPA mandated lean running saws today that have been 'fixed' so guys like me can't fix their saws by making  them run a little richer #@#@

d* d* d* ??? ??? ???

OlJarhead

Another project of mine :)  This is our old Yamaha Big Bear 350 2x4 ATV that we bought for $200 and a couch about 8 years ago.  It's sat for 3 or 4 years since someone (a friend actually) cut the ignition off in an attempt to 'hotwire' it when the key was lost.  Sadly, I let it sit and sit so now I have it home in the garage and the work has begun!  I've stripped off the stupid spray bombed black paint the last owner put on it (still need to do the rear end) and replaced the ignition ($29 and I have two keys now :) ) and battery.  Once done it will get a carb tune up, some brake work and new paint and fluids and it will be ready for use again :)

I plan to keep it in the garage this winter with the Honda that I will bring back soon too.  Both will be gone over and kept warm and dry this winter.

OlJarhead

The old beast lives! :D  Now I just need to replace the fuel shutoff and rebuild the carb both of which leaked fuel onto my driveway.  Otherwise it ran just fine and shifted gears in an out and moved too.

Needs a muffler though!

ChugiakTinkerer

I recently opted to replace the carb on my old Suzuki King Quad.  I know rebuild kits are cheaper but a new one didn't cost much more.  That Husky saw looks sweet, makes my 455 Rancher have some compensation issues.  ;D
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

JavaMan

Sadly, I seem to have to pass up a few nice deals on quads lately because I have no place to store it! (or the trailer to tow it on)  :(

Well, plenty of time until late May or early June.  Good to see the Husky is back in action (altho they should have a cougar saw for that side of the state) ;D