Icosa Project...

Started by Kris, March 19, 2010, 09:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Really depends on the stove -- some stoves (modern ones) don't require any kind of protection behind them if they are the correct distance from the wall, whereas some do.  Best to look at the manual for the stove.

What i did, however, was install hardy board behind my stove just to be safe.  I'll put brick in there (more for looks) and it will both look good and be functional.

jdejarn

If I had a couple minutes I would attach a photo.  I raised concrete board off the drywall with a few 2X4's to create an air gap, vented the bottom and out the top so as it warms it will create an updraft, and covered with a mosaic of broken granite and marble. My stove is 32" to the finial, and I went 40". Later, I will trim the top and sides and create a narrow mantel. 1.5" is usually a code sufficient air gap to combustibles, per a local building inspector (old friend of mine and I'm not in his jurisdiction. Keeps us friends!). For the corner-of-the-room position, I did this on 2 sides, although only vented the back as it will be closest to the wall. Simple 2-afternoon project!

Kris

alrighty...got the stove in today.....
it is 18 inches from the back corner on the right and 14 inches on the left..just how it worked out......i am still planning on some tin or fireproof drywall...none the less this is where she is.

Aidzee

Nice!! I have that exact unit in my living room. Works good. With a medium fire going, and my furnace fan running, keeps my 1400 sq ft upstairs and downstairs warm in -20 C.

Redoverfarm

Kris I think that the industry standard for clearences is to a combustionable surface.  If you add a non-combustionable surface I would imagine that those clearences could be less.  Just stands to reason. ???

Kris

i think the plan is going to be to tile the wall....just the height of the stove and we will see how that goes........its not like anyone is inspecting this project, but i like to keep things as safe as possible..also...being a micro cabin it wont take much to heat the place up quickly.....

thanks for the comments,,

MountainDon

Kris, oljarhead hit the nail right on the head. Clearances vary from stove to stove.

Any modern, EPA stove is required to have a label that shows what is required. The clearance they provide should be for the distance to combustible materials. Note thet placing a non combustible material directly over (in contact) a combustible material does not reduce the required distance. The danger is that the non combustible may under the right circumstances transfer the heat to the combustible material if the fire is run long enough. The 1" air spacing technique works well and more or less reduces clearance distance by a third or so.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Kris

here is a photo i found from another small cabin building site...he used metal that is lifted off the wall and it has a air pocket,,and since his clearance was so small he even put bricks around it.....

MikeOnBike

Quote from: Kris on June 08, 2011, 02:48:32 PM
,and since his clearance was so small he even put bricks around it.....

I think the primary reason he used bricks was to increase the thermal mass and maintain the heating effect longer.  The stove is quite small and is harder to set for an all night burn.

Kris

finally got part one of the floor in......

Sassy

The floor looks really nice & I love the slate under the wood stove!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

nathan.principe

Great work on the floors!

Kris

thanks guys....it went pretty good,,,the dome part is going to be trickier..lots of cuts to the end pieces..........

Kris

the icosa flooring,,halfway done....

Kris

Carla_M

I like all the windows in the Icosa room. I wonder how it feels when you walk from the normal room with perpendicular walls into the Icosa room? Does it challenge your senses? Definitely outside the box!  :)
The personal dietary habits of people kill more frequently than firearms. Eat healthy and carry a gun.

Kris

the rooms differ but seem to blend ok...
the lantern lights up the dome much more efficiently.  the main difference is the window placement. i arranged them to have different focal points...so depending where you are sitting you might get a canvas to the sky, one to the river and one to the ground.....i liked the idea of these different view points instead of one massive window to the river... it is all an experiment......
and the purpose of the large window is for passive solar. it really works in such a small space......i now need an over hang to cut the summer sun out!!!