DIY Septic

Started by 325ABN, April 24, 2010, 06:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJC08

I read the same thing.

The way it reads, it must be "primary domicile"

Could leave out us cabin owners.  I haven't tested the theory.

http://des.nh.gov/organization/commissioner/pip/factsheets/ssb/documents/ssb-4.pdf

cbc58

i would bet that can be argued... cleary put in there to protect the designers/installers.  i spoke with them a few years ago and i think the regs changed since then because they knew i was building a cabin and it was not my primary domicile and they told me i could do it myself.

i was going to get a design done professionally and then find a "septic mentor" who could help me put it in and let me do some work but be there to oversee and make sure it was done properly.  with the economy being what it is i know guys are hurting for work so they're out there.  if you go with the "presby" system they only sell through dealers and installers.

something to be said for a composting toilet or electric toilet.  

btw, that site has a link that shows installed systems and who did them... so you can find someone familar with the area.  same for wells.

325ABN

It's clear in NH the home / land owner can install his own system. It only makes since, as long as it passes inspection what difference does it make who does the labor?

waggin

Quote from: 325ABN on May 28, 2010, 06:41:43 AM
It's clear in NH the home / land owner can install his own system. It only makes since, as long as it passes inspection what difference does it make who does the labor?

::)
The difference is in how successful certain folks have been in lobbying to force every step of the way to require licensed designers and installers.  It's not the effluent flow; it's the money flow that's critical.

As for an infrequently used septic going "bad", that certainly wasn't the case with a seasonally used septic at our family cabin that saw 2-3 months of use per year, typically only during the summer.  It was a pump to gravity system that functioned just fine for over 25 years and had no problems when we sold it.  It's been another 10+ years, and I haven't heard from the neighbors that the new owners had any issues either, and they hardly ever use it.  My guess would be that if you're not using it, nothing needs to be broken down.  When you start using it again, what you put into it provides the needed bacteria for proper operation.  Consider a brand new septic system: I've never heard of anyone building a new septic system that had to "prime" it. 

My current county requires licensed designers and installers.  A friend of mine built in Kitsap County, and he paid a designer but did the install himself.  Total cost was under $4k for his gravity system, with design cost included.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

cbc58

Does anyone know what additional costs are involved with a pump-up system?   There is a property for sale that has an approved gravity system... but to resite the house in a spot that is most private, it would require a pump-up to the leach field.   I know what the gravity fed system will cost... but what would the added cost be to put in a pump-up unit?  need to go about 100' to the tank/drain field....

Dallas2build

Quote from: 325ABN on May 28, 2010, 06:41:43 AM

If the plumbers or people who install septic systems in your area have successfully lobbied local politicians it matters.  That was the hard lesson I learned in Alabama years ago.  I found myself in violation for doing my own plumbing without a license.  I repeatedly asked the city how many houses had burned down from faulty plumbing and got no answer.  Basically the local plumbers had paid enough politicians to pass an ordinence that you had to use a licensed plumber for everything.  That way they always had plenty of business and could charge what they wanted.  I hate corrupt little towns like that!  I moved the first chance I got. 

davidj

Quote from: cbc58 on June 10, 2010, 12:04:39 PM
Does anyone know what additional costs are involved with a pump-up system? 

I've no actual direct knowledge of how much it cost, but looking at what my neighbors have it looks like it's not crazily expensive - maybe $2K-$3K installed at CA prices(and probably <half that if you do it it yourself).  Looks like a big tub with a pump in it, 20A/240V power to it, some basic alarm system so you know when it's gone wrong, and some 2"

This looks kinda like it: http://www.plumbingsupply.com/sewage.html

cbc58

that's kind of what i thought but i have yet to find a site that explains it outright.  tks.