Update on my residential fire sprinker system

Started by MikeT, August 09, 2010, 09:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

So my voluntary fire sprinkler system passed the inspection on Friday!  Yay!!!  After much research, I ended up installing a PEX system running off my domestic water supply, branching off just ahead of my pressure release valve (I need to keep a higher pressure for the sprinklers) and the downline manifold for all my fixtures.

I am running 1" PEX as the main lines and then running to 3/4" PEX to the sprinkler heads.  I ended up going with Reliable concealed sprinklers. 

I chose to go with a basic life safety approach--nothing that is designed to protect every square inch:  12 heads total, covering the kitchen, utility room, bedrooms and living rooms.  I ended up using 100 feet of 1" and 75 feet of 3/4" PEX.  The total cost of this system was less than $700.

This was for the Victoria's Cottage with a full basement below.   If anyone thinks it would be helpful, I will scan and post my sprinkler layout.  I can also provide the engineered calcs for my project.  YMMV.

mt

MountainDon

Thanks Mike. It would be useful to see some photos as well as the layout drawings.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MikeT

Will take photos this weekend and then get the scan of the plans.  I did the plans on a 24x36 piece of paper at a scale of 1/4"=1'0", so I gotta reduce it  ;).

I should note that upon inquiring about the break on homeowners insurance from having said system, I was told there is none.  There is risk of water damage claim from an sprinkler discharge....sigh....

MushCreek

It would be great if you posted your information. It looks like this will become mandatory in many areas come January. Figures that the insurance company won't give a discount; I've found they don't discount anything for improvements such as that, but they sure the heck will raise prices for darn near anything!
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

MikeT

When it does become mandatory, I hope folks don't have to suffer the fate of having to hire a licensed professional to do the design or the install.  It really is not that hard.  I did not know how to do all the calcs myself, but there is a program where you plug the data in and it does run all the needed info to ensure adequate coverage. 

In fact, I found it so easy, that I am thinking I will look for appropriate chances to install a system into my primary residence.

But again, I live in a state where a homeowner is allowed to do work on his/her own house.  Some states do not allow this.