cabin floor insulation ... is it necessary?

Started by hnash53, April 27, 2006, 07:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy Bob

Umm, actually, silica may not be so innocuous in re: cancer....
http://rockproducts.com/mag/rock_new_carcinogens_report/index.html
My maternal grandfather died of dust silicosis contracted while mining.  Not one of the nicer ways to go.
All that said, I believe proper precautions would prevent harm, and the stuff IS pretty useful.  After all, does anyone think fire is not deadly dangerous?  And yet humans, with care, have used it successfully for thousands of years.

I think your suggestion is good, Amanda.  I have been thinking along those lines.  The flange sections on I-joists look good to drop hardboard panels on to, with maybe a couple of stiffeners tacked in.  Then pour or pump cellulose insulation on top.

Goodo on the critters, Jochen!
Bill

glenn kangiser

Thinking about this a bit, I wasn't really trying to start a great big controversy about this-- as Amanda mentioned , I was thinking about being under the floor putting this stuff in and how nasty a job it would be.

Then I thought about the big tumors on my 2 dogs who slept in the fiberglass.  I forgot about the 3rd one who amputated her own tail because of a large unhealing bleeding sore.  My other dogs who did not sleep there had no problems.  Not a scientific study I know, but if it looks like a duck, seems at a minimum, safety clothing  and a mask should be worn at least in high exposure operations.

I think that was my real point, but I do love a good lively conversation.

Contrary to what it may seem, Manhattan, I really do appreciate your views, comments and the time you take to share your ideas and expertise with our members.  Many of them have yet to meet their first real building inspector.  Your input helps all of us to know what to expect.  Thanks.  Note that I am fortunate enough to deal with inspectors on a weekly to daily basis. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.