20 x 28 with 2nd bedroom in upstate ny

Started by new land owner, May 15, 2011, 04:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

What is the chemical used in that .23 PT wood?  That could be important.

This D/L from Wolman still shows the PWF lumber and plywood are .60 CCA treated.
http://www.wolmanizedwood.com/Docs/Original/Specification_Guide.pdf

There may be something newer that is approved with a lower PCF (pounds per cubic foot (of wood)) but I can not find anything. ??? It would be good to know what is going on there. Maybe it's a new or different chemical treatment?

Q:  How are those walls going to be secured in place before the walls are backfilled? I'm assuming they are going to be back filled some?  Is this an engineered solution or will there be a concrete floor?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Don_P

.60 CCA is one method of achieving a use classification of UC4B or better. That number should appear in small print on the tag or stamp and is the "real" standard being asked for. There are several new formulations of treatment chemicals out now, I've been getting MCQ, a newer generation of ACQ, that has much lower PCF numbers than CCA or ACQ but is rated for ground contact.

Squirl

I had found this:

http://www.wolmanizedwood.com/Docs/Outdoor/WOW-5079.pdf
and this:
http://www.wolmanizedwood.com/Products/Preservative/Genuine/codes.htm

Copper Azole CA-C

I was unfamiliar with it.  I was worried they were selling me a line of BS and it really wasn't for PWF.  I believe to be stamped PWF you have to pass sometype of AWPA test.  Not 100% on that, but all the facts combined, puts me more at ease.  I have no drainage on my property and was recommend against it by the building inspector because of that.  I wish I could have.  It would have been much faster and easier. The lumber yard quoted me $14.50 for 2x6x12's and $45 for 1/2 plywood. It would have cost me the same as a concrete block foundation (around $1800) and have been much faster.  I know for the next house or building.

new land owner

This is a picture of the stamp on the wood. I fugured it must be ok if it was stamped as such?

new land owner

Quote from: MountainDon on July 28, 2011, 09:42:46 PM
What is the chemical used in that .23 PT wood?  That could be important.

This D/L from Wolman still shows the PWF lumber and plywood are .60 CCA treated.
http://www.wolmanizedwood.com/Docs/Original/Specification_Guide.pdf

There may be something newer that is approved with a lower PCF (pounds per cubic foot (of wood)) but I can not find anything. ??? It would be good to know what is going on there. Maybe it's a new or different chemical treatment?

Q:  How are those walls going to be secured in place before the walls are backfilled? I'm assuming they are going to be back filled some?  Is this an engineered solution or will there be a concrete floor?

Don,

The foundation is already backfilled.  I have spreaders as shown in the pictures above holding the walls out.  I am lucky in that I have very good draining gravel.  It rained everyday this spring and when we dug a 10' test hole there was not a drop of water in the hole. Also the guy who did the backfilling was very careful to balance the soils and not put too much weight on any side at one time.  My backhoe guy also put at least 2 feet of crushed stone at the base of the foundation before backfilling with the gravel.

Squirl

Thanks for the picture.  It is very helpful.

new land owner

Went up for a short visit with a long punch list....

Installed a set of temporary stairs and bolted the mud room to the main camp.

Finished the crawl space doors.

cut insulation and foamed the gaps in the window headers.

Had some time left over so I built the mud room and bedroom walls

Can't wait for the built in September.

kalstar

Did I miss it? What was the cost of your foundation?

BTW. I really like the revised (flipped) plan!

new land owner

The cost so far are about $2500 for the ecavation and stone and $6500 for all of the materials for the foundation and the floor. 

new land owner

Went to camp for a couple of days and my wife helped me to get the last of the walls complete. 

Trusses are being delivered next Monday and we are planning to put the building together on my vacation in September.  Can't wait!

new land owner

Trusses were delivered today.  My wife and I are going away this week for our 30th anniversary. Still looking at the 18th for the assembly of our camp.  Can't wait!

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

new land owner

Thanks for the congrads.  Week spent a week in AZ.  Hot but the views were amazing.  Headed back to camp tomorrow for the build.  Hope I thought of everything I need.  The nearest lumber yard is about 1/2 hour away.

I will take plenty of pictures.

new land owner

I started last Friday with this...

We spent all day Sunday putting up the main rafters

This is a view from inside looking towards the bedroom.

This is how I left it yesterday, I really like the looks of the door I bought at Home Depot.

TheWire

Squirl

Don_P

Nice!
I like the truss, do you have the tech sheet for them that you could scan and post?

new land owner

Don

here is a  copy of the sheet for my trusses.

It took a couple of revisions before I came up with the correct overhang.  I settled on 18" and having the soffits prebuilt made venting the roof easy.  I had plywood precut to 3" strips, nailed that up, slid in the venting and then put up a 12" piece to finish the venting.  It was the easiest part of the build.

Don_P

Thanks for posting the truss sheet. 75 lb live load... it is built for weather. I was hoping to dissect it a little bit and see what the forces in the joints are.

new land owner

Question:  is it too early to start planning next springs projects?

I want to put on a small porch before I shingle the roof.

Here is the design we decided on.

I also plan on using the same railing design I used on my screen house.

Squirl

I had a local architect stop by while building my foundation.  We talked design.  He recommended a gable roof over the door or to place the door on the non roof wall because of keeping snow off your door step.  You have a higher snow load than I do.

new land owner

I had a neighbor come over and tell me the same thing.

rick91351

WOW I did not put two and to together until today and flash on the fact that you are the guys that did the screen house a couple years ago.   I have soooo wanted to do one of those up at the ranch after you finished that!!  No time but Wow I think they would be a great place to bunk the grandkids.  Stop and shade up and rest for a while.... or _____.     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

new land owner

Went up for a long weekend to get the place ready for winter.   Went up with the following punch list:
1). Installed auto vents in the crawl space walls.

2). Cleaned up the tool shed (this took the better part of a day).

3). Finished backfilling of the basement.
4). Calculate the size of my porch, it will be 14' by 8' wide.
5). Finish winterizing the camper.
6). Add some support to my crawl space doors.

7). Finish putting the house wrap on the gable ends of the camp.

8). Put plastic up on my screen house.

9). Place the bottom plate for my dividing walls and get accurate measurement so I can complete my kitchen cabinets over the winter.

It's going to be a long winter, can't wait til spring to get going again!