Post & Beam Foundations and Insulation

Started by almac, September 11, 2009, 09:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

almac

hey guys,
i was just curious, with a P&B foundation, how do you insulate to keep your water lines from freezing? ???
im sure you insulate the floor, but the pipe still is exposed when it exits the soil and enters your cabin.
i have been looking at heat tapes, but if i build off grid, this wouldn't work for me.

for me, because i live in canada(extreme winters), this is a major concern for my future build.
any photos would be apppreciated.

thanks guys.
al

Redoverfarm

almac there is usually a insulated chase built surrounding the pipes allowing it to penetrate the ground 1' or so.  In olden days they use to fill that chase up with saw dust.  Todays insulation products are much better.

rwanders

You can also use a bleedback system so the only time water is in the line is while the well pump is filling your pressure tank----it will pump a little air into your system each time so your faucets will spit a little when you first open one. Also, you will need to be careful not to have any "bellys" in your line between the cabin and your well that will hold water (like a "p trap") and therefore be vulnerable to freezing. This system is fairly common here in Alaska for post & beam foundations. Our lines are usually buried at 10' depths.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

John Raabe

Thanks for that great tip rwanders. I had not heard of such a solution.

Leave it to the Alaskans to have figured that one out. With water lines that need to be 10' below the surface of the planet you don't want to mess around with a lot of still water sitting in pipes.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

almac