Okanogan 20x30

Started by SkagitDrifter, September 30, 2008, 12:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkagitDrifter

Hi All-
I got my plans for our cabin this past spring but have been out of the picture for the last few months.  Summer is a very busy time for my company and I have been up to my eyeballs with work for what feels like forever (I do drop in here once in a while to see the progress on everyones cool projects).  My last post was sometime in May- right after that we got slammed and I'm just pulling out of it- but busy is good, right?
So, I have the foundation done and stripped, a pile of lumber on site, and maybe six to eight weeks before the snow flies.  I will be hitting it hard  untill I have the cabin dried in or I drop-whichever comes first.
We start framing this week.

Foundation poured and stripped.
I'll frame a 6' pony wall for the floor system to sit on which will give me 7' to 8' head height in the crawl space after I gravel it in.- add a 12' wide roll up door and I'll have locking storage for Quad / Snowmobile etc. 

Packing the never ending pile of material.

My beautiful wife taking five.

I drive a desk at work and after the last few days of hard labor I know why- but I do love the physical stuff- it really feels good at the end of the day.  I was a PM for a construction company in my younger days and am no stranger to hard work but it does take its toll on the body.

My other helper, Cash- True American Hero

Hope everyone had a great summer.  I'm glad I'm back, I might have some technical questions for the gang when I hit a road block- it's nice to know I can get some feed back from you good folks.

Thanks for looking in.
Tom

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

MountainDon

Thanks for posting. G/L on the weather.   :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Looking forward to seeing more, Tom.  Thanks for the update.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

Looks like a great spot. The tall crawl space is a neat idea. Saw that alot in Colorado when I worked up there.

SkagitDrifter

Got back to it this past weekend.  The weather was not with us but we managed to get some done.  The window before the really bad weather is getting smaller but I will be pushing hard for the next few weeks to get her dried in.  We planned to have walls raised this weekend but progress was a bit slower with the bad weather.  We'll re-group and hit it hard this weekend.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

SkagitDrifter

A few more pics of the area around the place.

The road in to the site.

From the hill side above the cabin.  The aspen are really starting to change.

The sun broke out just as it was time to head back over the pass.

In the pass- winter is knocking on the door.

More to come next week.
Hope you all had a safe and productive weekend.

Tom
Abraham Lincoln

Woodswalker

Knocking indeed, the storm moving in tonight will be dropping more snow in the passes, especially Hwy 20 across the North Cascades.  Figure you have maybe a month or so before they close that route for the winter.  I'm headed over to my cabin in Ferry Co., just east of you, for a little more work on the cabin and some deer hunting.  Hope the early snow at the higher elevations drives Mongo and the rest of the buck boys down to my level.  Who is Mongo?  Why, he is the mythical monster buck that all deer hunters dream and talk about.

Nice to see the aspens are changing.  They should be peaking next weekend.

I'd like to pick up a roller skate like the pink one you found, to just leave over at the cabin for back-roads exploring.

Always good to have a pup on hand for homeland security and to keep the varmints (deer) from running thru camp.

Good luck on the build.  At 8ft., think I'd call it the "lower level" rather than "crawl space."  Only Paul Bunyan would need to crawl to get around in there.

soomb

Looks great.  I have an offer on land 3 hrs east in Colville/Addy.  Now if the markets (housing and stock) would stop the downward move I could consider moving forward.
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

SkagitDrifter

Woodswalker-
Good luck with Mongo-
We had steaks from a friend of his this past weekend at camp.  Yum!
I hope the snow holds off for another month- do you run the N Cascade pass also?  Are you a "Wet-sider" too?

soomb-
Hang in there-
You will be up here before you know it.
That Colville area is beautiful and well worth the wait.
All the best-
Tom
Abraham Lincoln

Woodswalker

Yes, I live on the wet side, but way south of you near Olympia (Lacey).  I get over the hump through Snoqualmie Pass, and then all the way east of Moses Lake before heading due north to the Keller ferry across Lake Roosevelt, and then on up to Republic and Lake Curlew area.

lonelytree

Good luck on the weather. It came 3 weeks early here. Your location is beautiful. Be safe. I hope you have many years of good times there.

BTW - I have a match to Cash, his name is Jake. He provides moral support and exceptional company. He also holds my son down while we are cruising the lake.

Mike

Woodswalker

This is "Cirque," my cabin building assistant and security guard.  That's not a picnic table, it's a pup perch.

Steve

glenn kangiser

Nce dog.  Mine looks like a redneck compared to yours and he didn't even clean the food off of his face for the picture.

He gets his lips stuck in his mouth when he's lusting after food.  d*

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

SkagitDrifter

Speaking of dogs...
Did you know that you can prove that dogs are man's best friend?
Heres how-
Take you dog and your wife and lock them in the trunk of your car.
Come back after an hour and open the trunk.
Which one is happy to see you?

Abraham Lincoln

Whitlock

Nice place,Love the landscape
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

glenn kangiser

Quote from: SkagitDrifter on October 07, 2008, 11:17:50 AM

Speaking of dogs...
Did you know that you can prove that dogs are man's best friend?
Heres how-
Take you dog and your wife and lock them in the trunk of your car.
Come back after an hour and open the trunk.
Which one is happy to see you?

I bet that really works. d*

Lorangerlife

That is a great view!  Good job on making progress, looks like quite a few of us are trying to race against old man winter this year.

Here is my cabin building assistant Xandyr while we are sharing =)

SkagitDrifter

Xandyr sure is a cute pup, and I like your ride too.
Is that a Suzuki?  Did you rattle-can it yourself?  Nice job.
Good luck to all this weekend-
May the weather Gods be with you for the next few weeks.

Tom
Abraham Lincoln

Sassy

Quote from: lonelytree on October 06, 2008, 10:02:10 PM
Good luck on the weather. It came 3 weeks early here. Your location is beautiful. Be safe. I hope you have many years of good times there.

BTW - I have a match to Cash, his name is Jake. He provides moral support and exceptional company. He also holds my son down while we are cruising the lake.

Mike

That's what Spike does to me all the time - I hadn't been back to the cabin for a week - working in the valley & yesterday he wanted to sit in my lap all the time - he weighs at least a 100lbs & is all muscle! 

You are really making great progress!  The area looks beautiful  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Lorangerlife

Quote from: SkagitDrifter on October 10, 2008, 05:19:40 PM

Xandyr sure is a cute pup, and I like your ride too.
Is that a Suzuki?  Did you rattle-can it yourself?  Nice job.
Good luck to all this weekend-
May the weather Gods be with you for the next few weeks.

Tom

Thanks =)  You seem to have a pretty darn good dog yourself.

It's indeed a Zuki and rattle canned by myself.

I have a question on the opening on the lower level of your place.  is that going to be a walkout that you will pour inside later or is it something totally different?

great work so far and I can relate to the busy work schedule.  After 60-70hrs the last thing I want to do is work another 20, but once I get to the cabin I get a second wind.

SkagitDrifter

Been in and out of the office and back and forth to the cabin project.  I'm not really sure where I am some days when I wake up in the morning.  Anyway, we have been hitting it hard the last two weeks trying to stay ahead of the weather.
Sorry for the delay Lorangerlife but to answer your question... the lower level is basically an elevated crawl space- The plan is to put a plastic moisture barrier down and 3-4" of gravel on top.  We'll install a roll up garage door which we will be able to lock.  Secure storage for snowmobile, quad, small fishing boat etc.-  no access from inside the actual living space.
Here are a few pics of our progress- things seem to take longer these days-maybe I'm getting old- NOT!

Loading material for wall framing

First wall up

More walls

On to roof framing

Abraham Lincoln

SkagitDrifter

More Pics...

View from inside- note the pile of 2x12 Doug Fir rafters

More roof framing- the hardest part was setting the ridge- 2 2x12 sistered together with 2x4 running the full 30' with a steady 15 mph wind from the southeast

Rafters complete on to bird blocking

This view shows the 5-1/8" x 12" Glu-Lams on 4' centers

Got started on the metal siding which will run 6' high around the building- we get lots of snow which sometimes piles up on the walls.
I thought the metal would hold up better than wood.

Abraham Lincoln

SkagitDrifter

A few more...

Main living area

My beautiful wife stained 6" cedar T&G for the 3' soffits- "I'll do any job you want as long as it's on the ground" she said.

A couple more weekends of good weather and we could have her dried in.

Hope you all had a great weekend and got tons done on your projects.

Tom

Abraham Lincoln

apaknad

very nice,

congrats to you and your landlubber better half.
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the update and pix.