Our 16x20 Post and Beam cabin

Started by Moni, October 27, 2011, 10:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Houghton

Quote from: Moni on November 04, 2011, 11:32:29 AM
Hi again and thank you for the wonderful compliments.
yes, the walls are completely non load bearing. We used a plan from the company my husband works for (he builds log houses) here in British Columbia.
we took logs (Pine) and had them 'sliced' lengthwise into half inch thick slices at the mill at my husbands work. Pre-stained them here at home (I had to do it because I wanted to have this rustic look)  and nailed them up. The 'chinking' is the drywall that you see.

That is brilliant!  Where did you come up with the idea?  It looks so nice.

Moni

Quote from: Bill Houghton on November 05, 2011, 11:28:51 PM
That is brilliant!  Where did you come up with the idea?  It looks so nice.

I've always loved this look and I just tried to find a way to do it without actually chinking. I have seen this done before on a decorating show and just HAD to do it.
We have an old log garage that we 'found' and moved to our property here at home and I did all the chinking on that (just the corners), but it was tedious work, so I wanted to avoid having to do any such thing. lol.

Moni

update with more pics

We can finally get back into the cabin again because winter is coming to an end.

The stove the stove, my treasured stove

We got it free from some friends of ours and had our electrician check it over and install a new power cord. It's such a beautiful piece. We even have the original booklet that came with it.

The fridge we got through craigslist and took a bit of cleaning but it's spotless now.

my husband working on the counter cabinet

picking out wood for our counter tops. We had it sitting in the shop for probably 5 years and finally found a use for it.

counter cabinet being painted.

and we installed it all on Saturday

shelves went up

and the kitchen complete (although I think the white cabinet needs to be red, too. I'll do that when we spend a long weekend out there)

the living room area

There will be pictures on that wall with the electrical panel on it, to hide that ugly thing.

and a little project I finished yesterday. Some bread boards for the cabin ;)

The next thing will be working on the railing up in the loft which should be happening soon. Still deciding on flooring for the mainfloor and that should happen over the summer.

thanks for looking ;)

Sassy

Looks great!  You guys have done a beautiful job  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

ajbremer

Your cabin is rustic and beautiful - nice look'in too!

I love the way you've laid out your kitchen and I like the stove too. Was most of the money put into those huge logs?
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.