plumbing details

Started by davidj, October 08, 2009, 10:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidj

Thanks to a lack of planning, my 2" kitchen sink drain drops down right over where my main drain exits the foundation wall. Fortunately there's a bit of altitude at this point - maybe 24" between the floor and the drain.  Is it okay to use 45's to dogleg back into the cabin then, then back out to join the drain.  Sort of like this (all in a vertical plane):

Also, for another drain, is it okay to put a 2" hole in a double 6" top plate right near where there's a break in one of the plates (at the end of the 48" overlap)?  Or do I need to try and move the plumbing over a stud bay or two so the hole isn't near the break in the plate?  Everywhere I look has pretty detailed info on what you can do to studs and joists/rafters, but little on plates.

Thanks.

PS. All of this is in CA

ScottA

Both should be fine. If you are concerned about the plate (I wouldn't be) you can buy some metal plates to span the hole area along the sides of the boards.

davidj

Quote from: ScottA on October 08, 2009, 12:25:13 PM
Both should be fine. If you are concerned about the plate (I wouldn't be) you can buy some metal plates to span the hole area along the sides of the boards.

Thanks a lot.