Ramps

Started by peternap, April 07, 2008, 04:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

Redover Farms mentioned them in another thread. I can't tell you how much I miss those mountains this time of year. As far as I know, they only grow in the mountains of West Virginia. There are a million ways to cook them and there is even a Ramp festival every year.
Wonderful things

And they get in your system. For a week after you eat them, you get to enjoy the lovely aroma whenever you sweat. c*
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

Didn't know there was anymore conisouers(sp?) of the Wild and Wonderful.  I think Mo knows what they are and has probably already ate some this year.  The old timers would swear they are " good for what ells ya".

MountainDon

Oh!   ???
I thought we were going to be discussing cool ways to load our motorized wheeled toys on the truck.  :-[

Never mind. 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

BiggKidd

Hi Peternap,

Whats ramps? You know us city kidds. I didn't know you posted over here. Should have guessed it since I think you told me about this place. I'm with Don when I saw the post I thought of something to load the truck with. d*

Larry
A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry

ScottA

Around here people hunt wild mushrooms in the spring. We also have wild onions but I never heard of a ramp.

peternap

Hey Larry.....Damn, Mountain goes to the milling site and you wind up here. Guys...Larry is a good friend and if you remember the pictures of the roadbuilding, he was the one on the tractor ....highest on the hill. w*
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

peternap

Quote from: ScottA on April 07, 2008, 06:19:33 PM
Around here people hunt wild mushrooms in the spring. We also have wild onions but I never heard of a ramp.

http://www.richwooders.com/ramp/ramps.htm

Mo

Oh yes I had a ramps in potatoes on Thursday and some in my Lamb Stew Yesterday. I transplanted my roots in my garden last year and they came up. YeeHaa
Up on Whitetop Mountain in VA they have a ramp dinner, they are growing along the Blue Ridge Parkway between Galax and Roanoke my husband saw some today. You tend to have be a mountain goat to get them up there though.
They have a Ramp Cookoff in Elkins WV the last week in April. But it is nothing compared to the RoadKill Cookoff up Redovers Way.

gandalfthegrey

Our family had a fishing hnting cabin in Pennsylvania where I grew up. We always had fried potatoes with wild leeks (ramps) and trout for breakfast.  Ah!! fond memories.
Bad Wolf

Mo

thats a $24 meal where I work.

Redoverfarm

Ramp suppers are abundant this time of the year.  Probably 4-5 a weekend at different places.  Usual menu is Ramps, Ramps & Fried Potatos, brown beans, ham.  If you use onions you would substitute it with ramps.  But they only last for a month or so and then they get too big.  Some die hards start when the snow is on and know where the seed beds are and diig them before they sprout. I even have a couple pints of them canned up.

John_C

How about a Ramp Festival.  I stumbled on this one a few years ago while kayaking in that area.

Near Gatlinburg TN
http://www.cosbyrampfestival.org/

BiggKidd

Quote from: peternap on April 07, 2008, 06:22:26 PM
Hey Larry.....Damn, Mountain goes to the milling site and you wind up here. Guys...Larry is a good friend and if you remember the pictures of the roadbuilding, he was the one on the tractor ....highest on the hill. w*

Thanks Peternap. I'll see you thursday for some more work out at your place. I just hope we can get my tractor out of my place without to much trouble. Actually its not the tractor I'm worried about but the trailer. ???

Larry
A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry