Safety Meeting

Started by glenn kangiser, April 05, 2008, 12:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Well a week or two after I did a job I got a call requesting a record of my safety meeting for each day I was on the job of the general I was contracting to through the steel company.  Would have been nice if they clued me in before I went...so I thought -- they want fiction -- lets have a bit of fun then.

Here is my reply...tongue firmly fixed in cheek.

QuoteAttn: Kham

Per your request information from our Safety meeting  week of March 24th, 2008 at Quiring Site - Visalia  on Caldwell

Attended by Glenn Kangiser - no other members of our company on site.

Inpected Quiring site for any safety problems in my work area.  Replaced 2 rebar safety caps apparently knocked off by others.  When site was secure and safe I began to work.  Then and only then would I begin to work.  I cannot tolerate an unsafe worksite.  Not allowed by my insurance company.

Week of March 31, 2008

Attended by Glenn Kangiser - no other members of our company on site.

Arrived on site 4-1-2008

Stepped out of truck and immediately began safety meeting after a short prayer.  Notified Mexican workers I would be working above them.  Used sign language as there was a language barrier.  Made it clear to them that I would be welding above them so had them vacate the area.

Hard copy to follow.

Glenn Kangiser
Gateway
hmm

What do you think?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

rwanders

My most memorable safety meeting was at a large industrial jobsite I was QC/QA on----our safety guy was pretty good but did tend to drone on at our big Monday morning meetings for all the hands----after about 30 minutes of his monotone lecture----an iron worker (ironhead) sitting next to me on his tool bucket suddenly fell off it, raising a good sized lump on his head with the addition of a small but bloody cut. He had fallen asleep! I never did get to read the incident report for that injury but it had to be a classic.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

glenn kangiser

That's a good one. 

Union guys call me an ironworker, but I'm S/E and non-union so hate to claim that for a title.

We had a job a few years ago where grapevine got back to us that the General's project manager was wising off a bit about us before the job even started.  We knew from BIL that he was  a heavy social drinker so at the beginning job safety meeting we told them that all non-employees around our work area would have to be tested for drugs and alcohol.  We (Sassy and Iarrived early to see what we could see) inspected the site and brought up all the missing rebar caps - impalement  hazards around the site.  They made a big deal about flying their safety director out from Virginia to be at that meeting.  We brought up the existing hazards and told them they needed to be corrected before we started and that we were calling OSHA in for a free prejob site inspection.  That really got their attention,  They were pretty well speechless by the time I finished with them.  I figured if we were going to play a safety game I would show them totally how to play it.

RN Sassy, did free BP tests at that meeting (in her work scrubs) and was our official safety director (for the drama and fiction they wanted to see).

hmm  That was the job I tipped the 80 foot manlift over on.  Guess I should not have downplayed the safety meeting. ::)

Once the Project manager lost his suit and started wearing blue jeans we tolerated him better and by the end, after he was finished putting on airs, we got along very well.  He even went out of his way to be sure his company paid all they owed us.  BIL's company was a bit short though.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

Glen that's classic. I've written a few letters like that before but maybe not as colorful.

glenn kangiser

Sassy didn't believe I was gonna send it.  That's the problem with e-mail -- push the button and it's gone -- but I really did mean to send it.  No reply ...yet. [crz]

They have come to expect it from me though.  Over the years I have tried to make them think I am crazy.  I think it may be working.  I've almost convinced myself. ???  d*