20 x 30 breakin' ground

Started by Jumpinfrog, April 30, 2008, 04:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumpinfrog

Recently received 20 x 30 one story plans. The wife and I went to work on the foundation of what will be our family getaway in the woods(only because I found this great site-Thank you) We went with concrete blocks on crushed rock footings 2' x 2'. Backfilled them and built up molehills with more crushed rock. We raised the blocks just above ground. We are going to level with posts above to beams. We bought the ept44b brackets to embedd in the blocks. I wanted to be sure that these brackets are ok to use 4 x 6 posts rotated so as the 6 x 12 beams will rest flush and even for straps. Or are they only designed for 4x4 to 4x beam? Just wasn't sure if there was any issues overloading the brackets? Also, I figure this to be a big no-no, but I'll throw it out there anyhow, If the beams are measured 30' end to end on posts, is it possible to make a 32' beam that hangs over end posts 1' each end? 20' x 32'? Or the beam has to end with posts at 32'? Thanks for any future feedback!

MountainDon

w* Jumpinfrog

1. using EPB44T with 4x6 posts
That probably depends on the quality of the wood more than anything. Myself I'd prefer to use a base with a metal plate sized to the post. In fact that is what my plan is. There are other Simpson products avaulable in a 4x6 size, such as the EPB46. Either of those have the same load carrying rating, but the 4x6 plate supports the larger timber better.

There's a Simpson catalog available online HERE

2. making the support beams 1 ft longer
That should be no real problem as long as the footings are adequate to support the weight of the structure. Are you simply wanting to stretch it out a couple feet?

Where are you located?

My plan is to embed anchor bolts in the concrete blocks and then use the ABA46 bases with 4x6 posts supporting the 6x12 built up beams. The plan is to get underway in June.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Jumpinfrog

Hey Mountain Don,
Thanks for all the suggestions on brackets. I am new to this and was going by John's foundation page on epb44t. When I realized the bracket size was 4x4, and had seen some other brackets in 4 x 6, I started wondering if those would be better suited. I really didn't need the adjustability since I will be cutting the posts lenghts to level the beam. I am wanting to stretch it 2 feet but wasn't sure if the beam had to end on the post or if it could go over a bit. I have it measured that the beam ends at the first and last post edges.(like a 90 end but could it "t" past?) I wasnt sure if the beam could go past the post edges without support. I have 3 rows of 6 footings 24" x 24" crushed granite footing 8" and 20" of block in the footing and filled in with granite. 12" block above ground with a granite hill sloping around. I dry blocked and will fill up with concrete and # 4 rebar in every hole connected to rebar x. I am going to investigate those other options. My project is located in Calaveras County, Ca. Home of the frog jump jubilee. Elevation is 2850'. I think from reading posts in the past, I may be closest to Glenn K. The Troglodyte??

John Raabe

Hi Jumpinfrog:

On the foundation plan for the 20x30 single story I actually call out an "EPB bracket or equal" for the top of the concrete pier. Here is a link to that hardware: http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/EPB.asp

You can use either the EPB46 or EPB66 for the 6x beam. The 66 has more bearing surface. (The EB44 is used for the lighter weight Little House connections w/ 4x beams and posts.)

If you can attach these to the beam, support it in place, and then bring your pier up so you can tie the bracket and rebar together before you pour this will be the best. Note, I show a poured tube whereas you would be using blocks with a poured core. If site slope requires posts I would suggest using the "Alternative Bracing" detail and use the 6x6 posts as called out there. If the posts are shorter then 4x6 will probably be fine but 6x6 feels better and is much stiffer for a 6x beam.

No problem on the extra foot over the end posts.

Nice country where you are. Is it a good frog climate?
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Jumpinfrog

John,
Sure enough on the ept bracket or equal. That was my mistake, I was studying the 14 x 24 in the beginning and saw epb44t and when I decided on the 20 x 30, I assumed the epb or equal was the same, "rookie".d* I should have payed closer attention to all the epb's. :-[ I was going to use those 4 x 6 posts in the brackets for no more than 1-7 "(less than one block) above block pier to meet with 6x beam. I should have adjusted better but all blocks(18 of them) are now rocked in, level and in a line. I hope this is an ok method without having to redo :-\. Glad that the extra foot over each end will be ok. Last minute decision for lil' more room from the better half. Country is very nice, rolling oak hills transition into ponderosa pines and cedars. I am in the pines, the famous Ca Red legged "jumpin' frogs are in the hills and on a rainy night, you can hear a million of 'em for miles. Thanks-a-bunch for the "good knowledge," I sure can use it!

glenn kangiser

Hey, Jumpinfrog, you are just a hop, skip and a jump away from me.

I assume you are near Angels Camp.  I get up that way once in a while.  Nice country -- like our area. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

For the 4x6 brackets you should be just fine with those short 4x6 posts. It also sounds like you have three rows of beams and posts rather than going full span (19') with the TJI's. That will also help brace the posts.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Jumpinfrog

I did go with 3 rows and that is good to hear it should be ok. On behalf of my knee and my wife's wrist we thank you for that info- whew that diggin'! :P. Hey Glenn, I went to High School in Angels Camp, Bretharte Bullfrog and lived up in Arnold. I always wanted to return so now 20 yrs later we have acquired land a lttle further up and remote. I just wanted some Mountain backwoods to retreat to. Did not think there was any chance of putting up a structure as all $ went to land untill I found this cool site. Its been the family campin' in the trailer. With some hard work, reading and studying, and your guy's help, we are going to make this thing happen! Plus if my hunting buddies want a piece of this place, they can lend us a hand ;D. Thanks again John and Don, I am sure to be pickin' your brains in the future.

glenn kangiser

Sounds great Jumpinfrog.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Caution when picking my brain.  Not a lot left and what's there isn't the best. [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.