Our 20 x 34 1-1/2 story cabin in Michigan

Started by mogie01, July 30, 2010, 12:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogie01

Quote from: ColchesterCabin on September 30, 2012, 09:29:14 PM
spectacular job on the railings. What dimension are your uprights? did you just use rebar?

Thanks everyone :)

Colchester, we used the left over D-logs that we used to trim around our windows and doors on the outside, they are 4 x 6, the balusters are the regular black pipe spindles and we bought those at Menards, we wanted to match the spiral stairs.

mogie01

This weekend was spent doing some small jobs.  We have most of the major interior things done now.  Here are some of the things we did this weekend......

Finished all of the trim work.

Built doors over the electrical box and the water heater....

Here's a view of the loft, with the new railing

The new lights working above the kitchen

Installed a bar inside the bedroom closet.

Cabin in the fall.

Redoverfarm

You've done a nice job.  Looks real comfortable.   :)

duncanshannon

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

mogie01

The fall colors are beautiful right now.  The weather was great this weekend and gave us a chance to catch up on some much needed outdoor work.  We started by cleaning up dead trees and splitting wood to burn in our fire pit.  We also built a ski and snowboard rack and a small wood rack below the porch for our wood stove. 

Inside, we installed the closet lights (hall and bedroom) and started work on the drawers for the bedroom closet.

mogie01

We finished the drawers in the bedroom closet this weekend. 

We're just taking it easy these days, taking time to relax and enjoy the cabin after all the hard work we've put in the past two years.  Every time we walk in the door we can't stop smiling, we still find it hard to believe that our dream cabin actually exists and it's not just something we hope to someday have, it's here!!

The closet drawers

Closet shelf

small cabin dreamer

Mogie, O have followed your build from the beginning since I am also in Mi. But was it easy for you to get approvals for owner-built home in your area? And permits signed off on when needed? We are looking at building in the UP.

small cabin dreamer

Oh, and your home is FANTASTIC!!!!!! I wish I could build something so nice, you and your husband have something to be very proud of, I hope your entire family enjoys it.

mogie01

Quote from: small cabin dreamer on November 13, 2012, 04:13:36 PM
Mogie, O have followed your build from the beginning since I am also in Mi. But was it easy for you to get approvals for owner-built home in your area? And permits signed off on when needed? We are looking at building in the UP.

Thanks for the kind words small cabin dreamer.  Michigan does not require an owner-builder to have any type of license. We submitted hand drawn plans with no problem. The inspectors were very good to work with and helpful with questions. I would imagine the UP to be similar to northern MI.

My husband is quite the handyman but this was the first time we ever attempted to do anything like this.  Before starting any work he spent a lot of time researching, either by reading books or on the internet, youtube has a lot of helpful videos too.  I must admit that after all of this I've become quite handy with a saw myself :)

mogie01

This weekend was spent getting the spare room ready, some tidying up and some holiday decorating :)

One of our new dressers

The second dresser

The bedroom

mogie01

We went up to the cabin Friday morning, it was nice being able to spend a little extra time up there, even if it was only one extra day.  We built a headboard for the downstairs bed, finished the bedroom closet and installed a small tv - your room's all ready for your mom, see you in a few weeks!! 

The new headboard

The finished bedroom

The finished bedroom closet

MountainDon

Very nice finishing touches to the bedroom!

I'd like to interject an opinion that not all may agree with. Here in the SW we may have a greater sense of wildfire danger than those in wetter parts of the country. We have first hand experience with the ferocity of a woodpile ignited by a wildfire. We are pleased it was 50 feet away from the cabin rather than under it. The hotshot crews we spoke with during last years nearby fire agree. Just a thought that may or may not be appropriate to your area.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

duncanshannon

HI - Love your place.  I am starting to draw (again?) some plans for my future cabin.  I am starting off with your basic plans.... one question so far. Where do you eat?  I don't see an eating space (table, counter top/bar) anywhere in your plans nor photos...

thanks
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 

mogie01

Quote from: duncanshannon on November 26, 2012, 12:11:55 AM
HI - Love your place.  I am starting to draw (again?) some plans for my future cabin.  I am starting off with your basic plans.... one question so far. Where do you eat?  I don't see an eating space (table, counter top/bar) anywhere in your plans nor photos...

thanks

Thanks duncanshannon, the corner area, next to the sliders, would be a large enough space for a 4-person dinette set.  We have a small desk in that area but honestly, we find it easier just to sit with a plate of food on our laps, very laid-back :)

mogie01

This weekend we built a corner unit for the tv and dvd player, now we don't have to look at all the wires hanging down and it gives us more storage.  We also finished the outside ski and snowboard storage box.  We added a couple of potted trees to the porch and plan on planting these in the spring when the ground thaws.  Only a few more little things left to do inside the cabin. 

corner unit

one of our new trees

ski and snowboard storage

Our cabin christmas tree

duncanshannon

Would you mind sharing how much you spent getting dried in?  I'm thinking foundation, up thru siding, windows, roof etc.  Excluding land and any interior work.  Bonus points for itemizing a bit!

thanks!

mogie01

Quote from: duncanshannon on December 03, 2012, 03:29:51 PM
Would you mind sharing how much you spent getting dried in?  I'm thinking foundation, up thru siding, windows, roof etc.  Excluding land and any interior work.  Bonus points for itemizing a bit!

Duncan, I had my husband come up with the list for you.  As I mentioned there were a lot of items we didn't skimp on.

Land clearing, foundation, well and septic - $11,000
framing package ( that included using 2x6 walls, 2x10 rafters, sheathing and 1" foam board - $8,000
roofing - $1,700 (16 squares)
insulation - $4,000 (icynene insulation in rafters - 8" thick; blown-in filled wall cavities and crawl space between floor joists on the exterior walls), we also put 2" foam board on crawlspace walls.
siding - $9,000 (included 2x8 hand-hewn cedar siding, 4x6 D-log trim, 12' cedar corner logs)
$3,000 - porch - posts, rails and decking - all cedar
$5,000 - windows (8 windows, 1 slider by Pella)

Pritch

Quote from: MountainDon on November 25, 2012, 07:29:54 PM
Very nice finishing touches to the bedroom!

I'd like to interject an opinion that not all may agree with. Here in the SW we may have a greater sense of wildfire danger than those in wetter parts of the country. We have first hand experience with the ferocity of a woodpile ignited by a wildfire. We are pleased it was 50 feet away from the cabin rather than under it. The hotshot crews we spoke with during last years nearby fire agree. Just a thought that may or may not be appropriate to your area.

I was also a little concerned about firewood storage under the cabin.  I have heard it is a common way for termites, carpenter ants, and the like to find their way into a structure. 
"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln

BenB

A BEAUTIFUL build, tastefully done and just a joy to see. I've followed from the first post - a wonderful and truly inspiring job you have done.
I'm UP bound and intend to use your home as my model to work off of.
Just impressive as he!! is all I can say . ;D

mogie01

Quote from: Pritch on December 05, 2012, 08:51:46 PM
I was also a little concerned about firewood storage under the cabin.  I have heard it is a common way for termites, carpenter ants, and the like to find their way into a structure.

Next year we plan on doing the riverrock around the foundation and posts under the porch so we will be moving the wood then.  Thanks for the warning, I have also heard that wood piles bring pests. 

mogie01

Quote from: BenB on December 06, 2012, 09:13:48 AM
A BEAUTIFUL build, tastefully done and just a joy to see. I've followed from the first post - a wonderful and truly inspiring job you have done.
I'm UP bound and intend to use your home as my model to work off of.
Just impressive as he!! is all I can say . ;D

Thanks for the lovely compliments BenB, we'll be sure to follow your progress.  Best of luck :)

mogie01

A few additions to the cabin....  (I forgot my camera and had to use my phone, sorry for the picture quality)

Our new stove and microwave

some new decor in the livingroom

Our sign

Our bench

Mike 870