Buildings under 200 sf

Started by jraabe, July 10, 2005, 10:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

We have friends who are going to check out your straw bale wrap method, Drew.  They are very interested.

Throw the county and their little Chinese measuring tape off of your land, Drew. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Drew

Okay, my Inner Capitalist just woke up (This is good coffee!)   c*

A good idea:  Camouflage roofing shingles.

Don LaFontain voiceover:  "In a world where the County Building Inspector runs your life, but gets too winded to run up the hill on your property, Google Maps becomes his tool of tyranny.  Holding court in his air conditioned cubicle he scans your homestead for something, anything, he can demand tribute for.

"One man will stand against this corruption.  One man, and a roofing nailer."

Introducing camouflage roofing shingles.  These asphalt composite units can be selected to match the buildings surroundings and make it virtually invisible from the air by aircraft and satellite imaging systems.  Comes in your choice of dried grass, oak tree, mud, and dismantled cars.

A good idea:  Snake skin print garden hoses

"Hey Honey, I'm going to the yard to water the garden.  Gaaahhh!"

Okay, maybe not a good idea.

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Alasdair

On a recent visit to Vancouver I came across this student project from Emily Carr University which made me think of this thread -

The last one had a stair which led up to the sleeping platform but the box steps could be dismantled to use as furniture.
64ft is a bit tight for me but the homeless girl withthe red jacket seem to like hers ;)

glenn kangiser

Did you buy one for the homeless girl, Al -- seems the least you could do. :)

You on this side of the pond now, Al?   If so -- who will represent Scotland? hmm

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Alasdair

Insert Quote
Did you buy one for the homeless girl, Al -- seems the least you could do.

You on this side of the pond now, Al?   If so -- who will represent Scotland?

Glenn,

I landed in Canada about a month ago and have been taking a look around to try and decide where we will settle. Here's my first trip http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=62374&l=ba7a1&id=595736916

We head out to Nova Scotia next week visiting Qubec and New Brunswick on the way.

As to the Scotland rep ... I'll suggest the site to a few pals and see if anyone else will carry the flame for the old country...

The homeless girl? She was cute so I kept her ... ;)

glenn kangiser

Good deal, Al.  Not often one finds one of them standing around.  Was that you leering at her from under the orange parka?

Checking out your trip on Facebook. :)

MountainDon

[cool] rotary plow engine and big old tree of some kind...  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

That was cool, Al.  Nice trip and pix.  Thanks for sharing them with us.  

Jens

came across this site today, thought it fit in this thread pretty well.
http://www.shedworking.co.uk/2008_02_01_archive.html
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

lipadier

Hello, new one here, stumbled over this board by accident. Great place. Those building reports over in the "Owner-Builder Projects" -forum are very interesting and addicting.

Warning: I'm a swiss-german-speaking swiss, and my english is on ground floor level so to speak, so native english speakers will get hurt when reading my text, but only on a small dose. ;)

Anyway, tiny houses. How much room does one need? Actually not that much. I designed a few tiny houses a few days ago after discovering this board and this thread among others. I designed those houses around the space parts I really use in my much bigger real living quarters. Funny fact: I actually live in my bed. My bed is the center of the universe. Coming home, showering, eating, bed. My living room: Bed. My computer work desk: Bed. My home cinema is also in my bedroom. Classic male nest, visited from the girlfriend at the weekends.

The first project: Ground floor can be expanded for a living room. If you need one.  ;)

This wood texture I use in most of my designs in project stage, because the vast amount of lines gives you the 3D-feeling for the dimension and size of the rooms. The upper floor is not fully thought thru, but needs only little changes around the stairs. From the outside this tiny house is a but of an ugly duckling, but hey, one lives inside anyway.  ;D

Greetings, lipadier. More to come. A bit bigger ones also.

Jens

Nice design work there.  If I were single, and childless, I'd build one.  Finally, someone that I don't have to explain the pronunciation of my name to.   w*
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

MountainDon

Quote from: Jens on January 31, 2009, 06:23:24 PM
Finally, someone that I don't have to explain the pronunciation of my name to.   w*

Yens as in Yonas. (Jonas)  right?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Cool design lipadier.  w* to the forum.

lipadier

Thanks for the welcoming. Is it ok to put my designs in this thread, or should I start a new one?

ScottA

Very sharp looking design. Why no window at the kitchen sink?

lipadier

Because I simply forgot. ;)

There you go:

glenn kangiser

As long as they are under 200 SF then this thread is fine.  If over - start a new one.

You probably deal in meters don't you?  You can get it close - I'm a bit lazy for meters. :)

glenn kangiser

Quote from: ScottA on January 31, 2009, 11:33:51 PM
Very sharp looking design. Why no window at the kitchen sink?

He doesn't have a backhoe to park outside of it to look at, Scott. :)

ScottA

I didn't think of that Glenn. Explains alot.  d*

Jens

Quote from: MountainDon on January 31, 2009, 07:38:34 PM
[
Yens as in Yonas. (Jonas)  right?

I think Jonas is Jonah.  Jens is John.  Hebrew, and Danish (as well as other Germanic, and nordic) pronounce J's as Y's.  My grandfather's name was Jens Jorgen Juhl.  How is that for a mouthful. 

Lip, your design here is quite nice.

MountainDon

Quote from: Jens on February 03, 2009, 12:23:04 PM
pronounce J's as Y's.  My grandfather's name was Jens Jorgen Juhl.  How is that for a mouthful. 

come to the SW and the J becomes an H

mikeschn

Has anyone ever looked at those folding houses?

Mike...

Phssthpok

Quote from: Alasdair on November 19, 2008, 10:28:32 PM
On a recent visit to Vancouver I came across this student project from Emily Carr University which made me think of this thread -

*snip*

64ft is a bit tight for me but the homeless girl withthe red jacket seem to like hers ;)

New here. Thought you might be interested in the adventures of someone I know who is currently living in less than 64 sqft in the mountains of Montana no less.

In his own words:

QuoteThe size of the place was dictated by the fact that I had never built anything from the ground up before, and the fact that I am very limited on funding.  It was also the biggest that I could be confident of getting built by winter with a very small labor pool.  My daughter helped with the layout and framing, my ex helped get the roof on.  I did everything else, due mostly to my irrational "do it myselfish" streak.  I really learned a lot.

The solar panels total 12 watts, 2 6v batteries have a total of 200 amp hours at 12v, several cheap 12v incandescent bulbs give light at the head of each bunk plus 1 ceiling light inside and one over the porch.  I took the batteries to work about every other week last winter to top them off.  They are holding up well so far this summer.  I can watch a movie once a week and not drop the voltage below 12.4v. There is also a small 120v inverter screwad to the wall by the breaker box to run drills and such.

Heat is a 20,000 btu unvented "Blue Flame" heater from Harbor Freight.  Last winter used 2 100lb tanks of propane (about 20 gallons each) to keep it around 60 degrees.  The roof only had one layer of r-19 insulation, but now has 4 layers.  The walls and floor are r-19.

The puppy currently sleeps on her bed on the floor.  In winter she gets the bottom bunk and I move to the top, but she prefers to sleep out in the snow unless it is really cold.  When inside, she can almost heat the place. Energetic little mutt.

There are several cases of food under the bed along with 50lb of rice, 50+lb of beans, 30lb of pasta, 15 gallon jugs of distilled water and lots of other stuff.  It is just over half full, so I have to buy more food. Smiley

If I had it to do over, I would have built it 8x12 instead of having the covered porch.  I will eventually build a "big" house, likely 16x20, maybe with a loft.  Someday.

Truly Hybrid Homes

Is anyone still visiting this site?