Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JavaMan

To bad you don't do web site programming and support.  I know where there's going to be an opening soon - once the job description is complete.

But then again, it would be a very loooooong commute for you  :o

OlJarhead

Used to do that kind of stuff back when HTML was pretty much all you had to do...but with JAva and Ajax and php etc I'm pretty useless today.

But that's ok :)  I've had a lot of action on the job hunting front and am planning a cabin trip to get that in before I end up going back to work!  *crossing fingers*

I shouldn't jinx myself but I'm feeling very good today.  US Cellular is looking for someone with my qualifications right here locally (man wouldn't that be sweet) and I was just contacted about two positions in the Portland Area that I might consider just to get back to work....

and there are contract jobs being offered up also....let's hope this keeps up :)  Heck, I wouldn't mind doing some contract work for a few months (better pay)_and then taking some time to work at the cabin and then doing more contract work *snicker* -- wouldn't that be a sweet deal for a while ;)

JavaMan

Yep, it would be sweet.  I have always lamented that I never had the situation set up when I WAS doing contract work to work things out that way (someone always spent that "extra" cash), but now, I know that Beautiful would budget things wisely and I could do that, but I'd like to stay someplace for longer than 18 months.  Altho - there is a contract possibilty for a 6 month contract extendable (in 6 month chunks) for up to 2.5 years...at 30% more than I make now ... that would be sweet! [cool]

Here's to you getting back to work in a situation that is optimal!  :beer:

OlJarhead

Well I'm planning a trip back up to the cabin.  I've applied for a few positions (only one that's really interesting but you have to apply for everything and anything out there these days) and am in a but of a waiting game so figure it's time to take advantage of the down time.

Going to try to get some more mowing done and clearing of brush piles /slash piles to safer spots to burn when the winter rolls around.  Also have to work on trying to get the water lines clear of air and plan to put in a temp system to provide 'running' water in the cabin.  Bought an RV pump (self priming) for $69 after shipping and plan to use food safe 55 gallon drums that I'll fill first with the pump (to draw as much air out of the lines while pumping water from the cistern) and then use the RV pump to provide indoor water pressure from the barrels.  Should be an interesting challenge.

Anyway, I think I'll take another week up there (maybe 5 days but will be prepared to stay 6 or 7 or more) just to get away for a bit :)

Kinda get stoked now though :)

JavaMan

Too bad you didn't get the backhoe for the tractor (or did you?) ... you could dig up that old line and get it done!

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on August 06, 2012, 10:51:15 AM
Too bad you didn't get the backhoe for the tractor (or did you?) ... you could dig up that old line and get it done!

Ya would be nice but we just couldn't justify the expense frankly.  Maybe some day.

OlJarhead

Oh how there is so much to tell about my last 6 day adventure at the cabin!  Much was done all while I got a lot of 'down time' for myself.  But here are a few teaser pictures for you to ponder while I get some sleep.....and I'll update and add more tomorrow.

OK So I'll need to get the laptop out to share some of my journal of this last trip but for now I'll ad lib a little ;)

The above pic is just a setting picture taken mostly because things are SO different today then 3 years ago.  SO much brow mowed and clearing done and ground work done that in some ways it's like a whole new place!

I think you get the idea with this one but I'll add more and some explanation tomorrow.

So with the problems of the 1" line from the Cistern and being laid off work and unable to fork over the $1000 I'll need to install a 2" line (500' long no less) and the money for a bigger cistern while I'm at it I've settled on buying a Sureflo RV pump ($79 after shipping off Ebay) and using it to pump water from the Cistern Spigot (about 50 feet from the cabin) into a 55 gallon drum and then using it to pump from the drum into the cabin as needed just like you'd have in an RV.  It works like a charm!  I'll post some other pics shortly.

I'm pretty much stoked with how these turned out...more to come.

What?  There's a whole lot of 'splainin' to do here ;)
I'll post about this shortly to...

OK two guesses....Skagit you first! lol

JavaMan

Great looking stairs!  an water in the house - wonderful.  I bet your wife is happy about that  ;)

I can't wait to hear (as Paul Harvey would say), the rest of the story!

Oh, and good luck on the job front.

SkagitDrifter

Wow- Running water, now that's progress. Great Job!
I love the outdoor shower-
Feels as good as a $300 per night stay at a fancy Spa I'll bet.
Your place is looking good- almost like an old homestead from days gone by.
I'll bet it feels good to have all the comforts of home while being off the grid.
Sorry about the lay off from work but it sounds like you have a few irons in the fire.
Good luck and great work Erik-   
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on August 14, 2012, 10:27:33 AM
Great looking stairs!  an water in the house - wonderful.  I bet your wife is happy about that  ;)

I can't wait to hear (as Paul Harvey would say), the rest of the story!

Oh, and good luck on the job front.

Thanks and thanks :)

My wife?  Heck ME!!!  You can't imagine (ok you can and will) how awesome it is to walk in and wash your hands in running water in the sink without a worry!  3 years of using diaper wipes, going out to the frost free or just getting by with a little left over dish water sorta makes you appreciate running water a LOT more! ;)

JavaMan

Oh, yeah.  I can imagine that.  Wait - I don't HAVE to imagine that.  Lordy the grime I washed off me when I got home on Sunday!

Unfortunately, I don't have a well... I do have a 200 gallon tank tho that fits the back of my truck.  So, until I can do snow and rain harvest, I'll need to find a place to get water from.

Nice faucet, BTW.  So what's the story of the ladder and pallet (is that covering a hole so you don't fall into it in the dark?)

Oh, wait... I just looked, and it's your outdoor shower!

OlJarhead

Arriving last Wednesday evening I wanted to get the cabin water running and wanted to mow more brush around the property.  I also wanted to measure the size of the land I have that I want to plant in the near future -- not knowing what an acre 'looks' like  I needed to get out the range finder.  Good thing too because what I thought 'looked' like a good 4 or 5 acres or even more turned out to be just TWO!  300 feet by 300 feet....Hmmm.....

So, after arriving I went to work right away trying to get the header installed in the 'water closet' (really a water box).  I realized very quickly I didn't have the right tools, parts or know how but figured a trip to HD would solve some of that.  So I visited a neighbor and then returned to mow for a couple hours.

The next morning, Thursday, I mowed again and then headed off to HD which was 45 minutes away.  I was pushing it budget wise since I hadn't planned for the xtra trip or parts and being out of work have only budgeted $200 a trip....and I pulled a trailer up with me to bring up finished paneling as well as the ships ladder stairs and to haul wood back for processes -- which cost me more gas.

I was starting to sweat it a little but figured I'd make it work.

Once back at the cabin with parts and pieces I was able to finally get back to work...only to learn the crimper I had sucked and I couldn't make a leak proof crimp on the sharkbites I was using.  So back to HD and more sweat.

Luckily I'd brought two 6 gallon cans of gas with me!  Sometime in there I called Jeff to let him know I'd blown my budget.  I really wanted to help but had to be disciplined with the finances now that I'm out of work...sorry!

My first order of business was to try to figure out how to make the $18 header I bought work in the tight space I left for it (and for a second).  I hadn't planned that well and if I had to do it over I'd make the location 1 1/2 times larger all around but it will work as is....just something to chalk up to 'learning'.

Anyway, I ran my Pex too close together and didn't want to try to chisel out the wood between each run of Pex (I'd drilled holes to stuff them up through) so creatively connected them to the header as best I could. 

Hey, it works!

Next was to figure out how to make the under sink connections work -- I'm no plumber by any stretch if you hadn't noticed -- and realized I needed to put 90's in and then run some pex out to the vavles.  Later I'll go in and put some treated pine boards in to cover the holes and secure the pex better.

The drain I'd put in when my wife and I were out on vacation and it works nicely, though was a challenge....

I then capped off all unused pex and installed the valves and then wired up the pump to the same set of wires I had installed for the composter fan (switched inside the porch conveniently) and ran the cabin water line to the pump.  I didn't have enough 90's to do this well but decided to do that next trip when I box it all in.  For now it was more a 'proof of concept' then anything else.

With a second pex run going into the barrel, and having filled up the barrel half way with well water using the pump and garden hose I had a system ready to test!

At first I didn't have water....something was wrong, then I checked the 'hose' I used for a siphon out of the barrel and replaced it with pex (the hose was too light and floated)....and RUNNING WATER!

Sounds just like our tent trailer when the taps turn on.

Oh and I also learned that the stupid sink didn't need to be drilled ;) just punch out the holes and install the taps.  Also sealed the sink to the counter while I was at it.

Next was to install the drain to the bathroom sink.

My wife and I had installed the Grey Water drain system we'd purchased a year or two ago and used it during our vacation so all I had to do was add a drain from the bathroom to the Y pipe which feeds the system.

This was a challenge alone but I managed it by hanging the pipes with strapping and then gluing them in place and tightening the straps to get the angle of drop correct.

I was VERY glad for the extra ground clearance under the cabin at this point!

I was not glad to find a lot of ants living in the insulation under the cabin though....

At some point I began waging war with Diatomaceous (sp?) Earth...I have less ants now

At some point I realized I needed an extension for the drain in order to get it down through the 1 1/2" hole I'd drilled and into the coupler that connects it to the PVC drain pipes.....a trip to Tonasket got me the extension and some parts for the irrigation and deeper in trouble with the Budget Master (wife -- though she was very happy in the end as I knew she would be).

With the sink drain in I was able to test the sink out

Oh yes how beautiful the sight and sound!!!!

Now I just have one more drain to install and one more valve to put in -- for the tub and shower -- and then I can do away with my outdoor shower:

Skaget, trust me, your shower is a million bucks!  Mine?  50 cents! haha but it feels like a million bucks when it's 95 outside and I'm dusty and dirty!  Just don't come by uninvited in the late afternoon without honking first! hahaha

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on August 14, 2012, 11:37:54 AM
Oh, yeah.  I can imagine that.  Wait - I don't HAVE to imagine that.  Lordy the grime I washed off me when I got home on Sunday!

Unfortunately, I don't have a well... I do have a 200 gallon tank tho that fits the back of my truck.  So, until I can do snow and rain harvest, I'll need to find a place to get water from.

Nice faucet, BTW.  So what's the story of the ladder and pallet (is that covering a hole so you don't fall into it in the dark?)

Oh, wait... I just looked, and it's your outdoor shower!

The Navy seal who has a cabin above me uses Rain water collection and it gets him all the water they use year round I am told!  I think it gives them 300 gallons and could easily expand to more then that but they truck up drinking water.

Honestly, 55 gallon barrels in Tonasket are $32 (I got mine from a neighbor free though) and for $64 you could have two and easily hook up an RV pump to them.  One in the back of your truck for transport and one behind the cabin to fill from the transport tank (that way you don't have to try to move one).

You reverse the pump to draw the water from the tank in the truck to the tank on the ground.

55 Gallons will last 2 people a week if they bring drinking water and are careful.  Maybe longer.  For more people we've camped in our tent trailer with 38 gallons (26 on board and two 6 gallon jugs) for 4 days easily.  Maybe with 6 total users.  No showers though!

Something else would be to install an above ground 300+ gallon cistern and bring 55 to 110 gallons with you each trip to fill it (could use gravity and siphon to fill and save the pump also)....then at some point you'd have another for a few weeks with showers :)

OlJarhead

So the next step for the plumbing is:

1.  Build an insulated box for the drums (I have two actually) and install the Pex neatly with 90's etc and insulation to the barrels and pump.
2.  Install two diverters in the pex lines so I can change direction of the pump from the barrels to the house to the cistern to the barrels or cistern to the house.
3.  Install the bathtub drain and valves etc.
4.  Cover all holes with treated pine.
5.  Install hot water (instant on) heater outside in the water box -- a neighbor uses an RV water heater in his and vents heat from his cabin into the box to keep it from freezing -- I might consider that too.
6.  Install at least one outside spigot for watering or getting water outside of the cabin for various reasons.

Probably more but I can't think of it right off -- except that we need to finish covering the grey water drain system and insulate the drains for the winter -- should help a little I imagine.

OlJarhead

Another mission of my trip was to install the ships ladder stairs to the loft.

I'd been working on them in the past but hadn't quite finished (too hot locally to work in a tent to finish them and I don't have a shop) but figured I could finish at the cabin.

I brought them up and went to work drilling the pilot holes for the 3" deck screws I planned to use to secure the treads in the 1/4" grooves I'd routered out of the risers.  I was using an HD portable drill press attachment which worked 'ok' but often locked up -- which ticked me off some -- but I got the job done and brought the stairs in.

The next step was to insert the treads and clamp the assembly together with it leaning against the wall -- where they would get installed (more on that later).

Then, with everything clamped together I planned to square as best I could and then drill.  I drilled away and even screwed on the treads only to realize later I forgot the whole squaring part -- DOH!  d*

I loosened up everything and squared the assembly and then secured the risers and tightened all the screws.

My first test of the stairs shocked me!  I was previously fretting over the 8 inch rise because of the near 60 degree angle of the stairs (which makes them not quite a ships ladder) but frankly it's PERFECT!  Ok, maybe it could be 8 1/2" or even 9" but I'm convinced it worked out perfectly for me!  Sweet!

ROCK SOLID is how I would describe them also.  Again, sweet!

Now I still have to do some sanding and trimming around but they are in and it's a heck of a lot easier to get into the loft.

Regarding placement: I've long debated (with my kids mostly) the placement of the stairs but settled on their opinion and left it as is.  They liked the idea of walking up to the ceiling and then over onto the loft because it gave more room in the lower section of the cabin.  I'll stick with it.

OlJarhead

Another small project was to put a railing on our temporary stairs into the porch.  It will be torn down in the future and replaced when the deck goes on but for now, and for insurance purposes, I needed a railing...so I grab some logs and tossed one together.

Not the best work, but it does what it needs to I guess.

One problem I've been having is getting water to my apple trees.  I need to replace the cistern and main line down to the cabin and orchard but in the meantime came up with a new solution:

1.  Remove the current (and stripped thanks to a friend) hose connection at the first tree and then move the hose over to as close to the middle of the irrigation to the trees as possible.
2.  Install a T fitting and anti-siphon connection for the hose at the new location.
3.  Replace a broken garden timer with a new one that didn't restrict water flow.
4.  Fill cistern and water trees.

All accomplished as can be seen below:

New T and Anti-Siphon hose connection.

Seeing this just makes me smile!  It was a challenge getting all drippers working at all trees but as long as I have water in the tank I think they will all get water....I sure hope so!

This is the tree I thought I'd lost.  I hope it's done well enough to survive the winter!  Maybe one of you who's grown trees a while can let me know what you think -- this is the tree that was Frost burned early on.

Another of our happy apples :)

Thanks to a neighbor for watering them by hand when I wasn't there to do it I think we've saved them all!  And they get free apples when they arrive in a few years ;)

OlJarhead

Yet one more thing I began working on (I know right?  I mean I was only there 5 days!  c* ) was to try to get the siding started -- or at least the batten boards and the window trim.

Couple things I realized:
1. Use 1" trim for the windows and 1/2" battens so they match.
2.  Maybe make the window trim slightly longer on the horizontal and change the upper angle to the opposite for appearance -- maybe.
3.  I need to mill more wood!

One thing I have to say is that when you are making your own lumber things just take longer.  For one you have to cut down a god sized tree, then buck off the braches and cut it into logs of the size of boards you want plus 3-6" of waste ends.  Then drag/skid it to the mill, roll it up onto the mill and make a CANT and then mill the lumber size you want and stack and sticker it.

Once dried, about 8 weeks, you then can plane the wood and rip it to the size you want (unless using it rough then just rip it) and finally make use of it.

It's a long process but worth the wait!

JavaMan

Looking great OJH.  Were your roads in dust(y)?  That's one of the reasons Beautiful doesn't like my place - the road is really crummy (erosion in the spring runoff) and then in August and September it turns to this fine powder that when you drive over it turns into a giant dust cloud.

I have a fine layer of grey dust over my truck bumper. :-\

I'd love to have some water to just spray the road with when I'm up there, but I'm afraid it would just turn to muddy muck.

I think someone up the road from my place is harvesting trees.  There are two tracked vehicles that have "grabbers" on them, one giant tractor with a backhoe-like attachment, but it's not a backhoe (looks like another kind of grabber), and a big truck of some sort.  They are parking them on the state land by Buzzard Lake.  I'm hoping they run up and down the road enough to crush it back into shape.

I'm looking at doing something like your ship's ladder for the access to my loft, so I'd be interested in hearing what the run/rise of it is?

o-leander

... all the times you say
QuoteAt some point I realized....
or similar, make me laugh.  So much recognition in those few words.  Your place is looking great.  I love that you decided to listen to the young'uns about the ladder.  No big deal to change it later I would guess, and gives them good ownership of the process.  As for the tree, i planted a bunch of bare-roots on my lot this spring, so i'll just pray for yours along with mine for getting thru the winter.  I believe if it is looking that healthy now it should be fine as long as it gets water into the fall.

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on August 14, 2012, 06:31:04 PM
Looking great OJH.  Were your roads in dust(y)?  That's one of the reasons Beautiful doesn't like my place - the road is really crummy (erosion in the spring runoff) and then in August and September it turns to this fine powder that when you drive over it turns into a giant dust cloud.

I have a fine layer of grey dust over my truck bumper. :-\

I'd love to have some water to just spray the road with when I'm up there, but I'm afraid it would just turn to muddy muck.

I think someone up the road from my place is harvesting trees.  There are two tracked vehicles that have "grabbers" on them, one giant tractor with a backhoe-like attachment, but it's not a backhoe (looks like another kind of grabber), and a big truck of some sort.  They are parking them on the state land by Buzzard Lake.  I'm hoping they run up and down the road enough to crush it back into shape.

I'm looking at doing something like your ship's ladder for the access to my loft, so I'd be interested in hearing what the run/rise of it is?

Certain parts of the roads get that way and certain areas of the property can.  The problem is a lack of organic material in the soil so when it dries out it's just pure talcum powder dust!  So compost trees etc that you get off the property and spread them out into the road bed ;)  And add gravel.

The ships ladder was kind of fun to do since I went with the grooves instead of straight glue and screws.  IN fact, I didn't glue in the end but might some day.

What I did was work out the rise and run I had and then went with an 8" rise per tread.  Once done I laid it out per riser with pencil and mocked it up to see how it worked.  Once I was happy with it I started routing out the grooves (1/4" deep) to 'slot' the treads into so they would have some extra strength for my lard arse;)  Finally I drilled 3 holes in each groove and then a counter sink hole also -- that way I can hide the screw heads later.  Then placed the treads and drilled a pilot hole through the riser holes so I wouldn't crack the pine boards and screwed them up.

The result was pretty decent I feel :)

OlJarhead

Quote from: o-leander on August 14, 2012, 07:29:05 PM
... all the times you say  or similar, make me laugh.  So much recognition in those few words.  Your place is looking great.  I love that you decided to listen to the young'uns about the ladder.  No big deal to change it later I would guess, and gives them good ownership of the process.  As for the tree, i planted a bunch of bare-roots on my lot this spring, so i'll just pray for yours along with mine for getting thru the winter.  I believe if it is looking that healthy now it should be fine as long as it gets water into the fall.

d*  Sadly it can make me laugh too!  I laugh at myself a lot frankly!  Sooo many times I've come to the conclusion that I've forgotten something, or don't have something or just plain don't know squat about something and have to find a way around it...or go spend more money! lol but I love the process in the end because I love to solve problems -- lifes problems.

Actually, it's what I do for work; I'm a problem solver for telecom ;)

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 14, 2012, 07:42:19 PM
Certain parts of the roads get that way and certain areas of the property can.  The problem is a lack of organic material in the soil so when it dries out it's just pure talcum powder dust!  So compost trees etc that you get off the property and spread them out into the road bed ;)  And add gravel.

Excellent description - talcum powder - perfect, in fact.   :D

So what you're telling me is that I should shovel the cow-pies off my property and put them in the road?  As for the gravel ... gotta cheap source? I need about 5 miles worth... ???

Thanks for the tip on the ships ladder.  I'll have to take a measurement of my stairwell and see how tall I need it to be.  I think I'm going to actually go beyond the loft floor, though, so as to have ladder to grab onto at the top while you're stepping off onto the loft.  I'm already finding it quite easy to simply keep going up the ladder if there is something (like a roof truss  ::) ) in front of me to grab on to as I'm stepping off onto the loft.

OlJarhead

I'll be installing a railing and grab rails for that.  Probably have my neighbor do the grab rails in mild steel and twist them like Iron...my wife loves wrought Iron works.

One thing about the stairs is that they are not like a ladder but rather, well, stairs.  You'll have to pop by and try them to see but once you walk up and down them you will realize it's a great way to go!

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 15, 2012, 10:03:11 AM
I'll be installing a railing and grab rails for that.  Probably have my neighbor do the grab rails in mild steel and twist them like Iron...my wife loves wrought Iron works.

One thing about the stairs is that they are not like a ladder but rather, well, stairs.  You'll have to pop by and try them to see but once you walk up and down them you will realize it's a great way to go!

Yeah, I figured they weren't really "ladder-like", but sorta in-between ladder and stairs.  Mine will be running roughly 5' (maybe 5'5" or so) with a rise of approximately7'6" (give or take).  I should be able to have something reasonably easy to walk up and down.  Actually, I just realized, I could actually measure it from the ladder I was using - just set it up the way it was at the ranch and take the measurements! d*

Hmmm... now I'm thinking about this a bit.

OlJarhead

Mine run 5 feet with a rise of about 7'6" so you will be very happy with that and an 8" tread rise I think.

At 5'6" run it would be even nicer to use but take up that much more room -- though my son suggested putting the stairs at the back of the cabin so they aren't in the middle of the room below -- and I think he has an excellent idea.