Our 20 x 34 1-1/2 story cabin in Michigan

Started by mogie01, July 30, 2010, 12:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob S.

If I was going to the expense of building the fake chimney. I would look at instaling A gas fireplace, so as to have a backup heat sources. You can run one on Butane.   
  Your cabin is looking good

mogie01

Quote from: Bob S. on November 02, 2010, 06:21:23 AM
  If I was going to the expense of building the fake chimney. I would look at instaling A gas fireplace, so as to have a backup heat sources. You can run one on Butane.   
  Your cabin is looking good

Thanks Bob, I definitely think 2 different types of heat would be the sensible way to go, that way if the electricity goes out we would still have another way to keep the cabin warm.  We still haven't made a final decision, although we were leaning towards an electric heater in the fireplace, baseboard heat around the cabin and a couple of portable heaters.  We didn't really want a big propane tank at the side of the cabin but I'm sure we can come up with a way to hide it.  I've heard you can have them buried but would that be very expensive?  We would have to locate it somewhere that the propane truck could get to, and that kind of limits us too.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone! ;D

MountainDon

Underground tanks are a special item. You can not bury standard above ground propane tanks.

In addition to special coatings that help to prevent corrosion, all underground tanks need to be installed with cathodic protection. Typically, sacrificial anodes (magnesium or zinc ingots encased in bags of special material) are attached to the tank. The metal in the anodes wastes away, preventing the steel tank from corroding. Periodic testing will show if the anodes are protecting the tank properly. They ought to last 50 years and can be replaced.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

mogie01

I think I've talked my husband into having a wood burning stove in the cabin.  We've decided on electric baseboard heating around the cabin and I explained how better it would be to have two different heat sources.  Any recommendations on wood stoves?  I've been checking on the internet on installation, we would be going through the wall and up the outside (which is going to be boxed in - the chimney that we wanted).  Looks like we would have to use double insulated class A chimney.  I'll have to shop around and see how much this is going to cost before he is fully persuaded.

Redoverfarm

It all depends on your budget and the amount of square footage you want to heat.  I would however go with a so called "air tight" construction.  There is not a complete air tight construction but some are better than others.  You need to size your stove BTU's to the room(s) you plan to heat.  Others will give you their take on brands. Personally I have a soap stone stove manufactured by Hearthstone.  It does a good job at heating and holds a fire really good for an extended period of time.  Even after the fire has died down the stone emits heat which has been store during the burn period.  Vermont Casting is another which some members have and seem satisified with.  So I would shop and ask around before committing.  Nothing says that you have to go ahead with the purchase at this point.  If you have the flue installed a stove can be connected at any time in the future.

John_M

I have a Jotul Castine enamel woodstove.  We love it.  It is on the higher end cost wise (about $2400) and then you have to factor in the cost of the chimney.  The piping and installation actually cost us more than the stove.

You probably don't have to spend that much on the stove....but I feel you get what you pay for!  I love heating our cabin with wood.  It is extra work, but I find enjoyment in cutting down trees on our property and splitting, stacking etc.  I also love to stoke the fire etc, as well!  It's a cabin out in the country....it shoud have that rustic type of heat source.  If you're only visiting on weekends and stuff...it's not too much extra work!
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

Bob S.

I think if you make the necessary framing now, at a later date you could build the fake chimney you want. With a "o" clearance metal wood burning fireplace. 

mogie01

Quote from: Bob S. on November 03, 2010, 06:44:35 PM
I think if you make the necessary framing now, at a later date you could build the fake chimney you want. With a "o" clearance metal wood burning fireplace. 

How do you install this type of heater?  We also wanted to save some space and it sounds like a great option for us.  If we framed for the fake chimney, made it nice and strong to support the wood burning fireplace, do you insert the fireplace right into the fake chimney and run the triple wall pipe up the fake chimney, out through the overhang of the roof? 

Redoverfarm

Quote from: mogie01 on November 04, 2010, 08:26:49 AM
Quote from: Bob S. on November 03, 2010, 06:44:35 PM

How do you install this type of heater?  We also wanted to save some space and it sounds like a great option for us.  If we framed for the fake chimney, made it nice and strong to support the wood burning fireplace, do you insert the fireplace right into the fake chimney and run the triple wall pipe up the fake chimney, out through the overhang of the roof? 

If you are leaning toward a stove then you would not have to construct a metal firebox.  Just a thimble ( insulated pipe) is made into the wall to intersect with  the insulated pipe that you are connecting to.  If you decided on a flue now would be the time to build it when you are in that stage of construction rather than coming back later and adding it.  If a wood burning fireplace rather than a stand alone stove is what you want then it would require a metal firebox or a mason laid block & firebrick. Just to give you an idea  http://acucraft.rtrk.com/?scid=879474&kw=6019891   

mogie01

Thanks for all of the useful information everyone.  We finally made a decision on heating the cabin and a few other things.  We are going with a wood stove, looking at the Dutchwest 2478.  We like the look of it and it's a division of Vermont Casting which has a good name.  We also decided that we were not going to spend the money on a chimney on the outside, so we're going to run the pipe inside of the cabin and just have the stove sit on a nice stone hearth, we'll give it enough clearance at the back so we don't have to use stone.

We added the stairs to the side of the porch this weekend and also closed up the hole we had made for the fireplace.  We finally got a hold of the electrical inspector to set up a date and time for him to come and inspect our meter box, once we get that done we can finally have the electric company run power to our cabin.

mogie01

We worked on the floor joists of the loft this weekend, those suckers were heavy, then moved sheets of sub-flooring up, more heavy lifting.  Couldn't spend the whole weekend at the cabin so we're happy with the amount of work we got done.

mogie01

Spent the weekend up at the cabin again.  We were able to get the subfloor down.  Bedroom and bathroom wall framing done.  Started to pull wire for the bedroom and bathroom.  The weather was pretty miserable, thank goodness it was all inside work.  The power company has staked the route for the main power, it will be installed in 2 weeks, yaaaaay no more generator.

bathroom on the left, nice sized closet in front of bathroom, bedroom to the right

bedroom with framed bedroom closet

site of future kitchen

mogie01

These were taken last weekend.  It doesn't seem like we got a lot done but it's time consuming.  We're not going up this weekend, we need a little break but do plan on going up next weekend.  The ski slopes have opened up and we thought we might try sleeping in the camper if we can keep it warm enough.  The electric company is supposed to hook us up soon so I'm hoping it's before next weekend, that would make a big difference, we wouldn't have to run the generator all night.

space for washer/dryer and some storage

bathtub will be on the lefthand side

mogie01

We were finally able to get up to the cabin this weekend and do some more work.  More wiring and we worked on the rafter ties.

Proud_Poppa

Near McCormick's Creek State Park, Owen County Indiana

mogie01

We've started installing the drip edge on the roof.  Hope to get shingles on there next week.

Sassy

You're making good progress!  Won't be long & you'll have it done  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

mogie01

Today we worked on the chimney for the wood burning stove and started installing the pex plumbing.

mogie01

This weekend my husband and his friend were able to get the shingles done.  We've been waiting for some decent weather and finally it worked out.  Next thing will be the siding but due to work etc we won't be able to get to that for a few weeks.  Here are some pics.

View from the back of the cabin.

View from the front

Building Bob

It's a great feeling to have shingles on the roof. You place is looking good.

Redoverfarm

Your place is looking nice.  What is your porch railing made of? 

ajbremer

What a great job ya'll are doing - and thanks for all the pics.

I finally found a build that very closely resembles what I'll be doing/getting done. I don't come across many 20x30 1 1/2 story (20x34) stem-wall with floor joist I-beams builds here at countryplans. That is what I'll be doing, a 20x30 stem-wall with I-beams.

I would like to ask you about your stem-wall dimensions:

1) How deep and wide is it at the base?

2) How wide is it above the base?

3) What is its total height?

4) How high above the ground on the outside is it?

5) How many yards of concrete was used?

I have the countryplans 20x30 plans and I see that its stem-wall dimensions at the base are 7" x 15" and 18" high above the inside with a 9" wide wall. Yours seems to be much bigger and taller than that.

Keep up the great work and I will continue to follow your build thread.
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

mogie01

Thanks AJBremmer.  My husband is on a business trip for a week but I emailed him your questions and as soon as I hear anything I'll post them. 

We also bought land that has an Association and were given a list of all the rules and regulations.  They originally wanted larger homes built on the land but my husband and I wanted a small getaway.  Things aren't great in Michigan right now and the lots weren't selling, the Association changed their minds and changed their regulations to fit our plans.  Actually only 3 lots in the whole Association have been purchased and we are the first to actually build something.  I think their plan is to get someone in there that would actually build right away and possibly encourage other people to buy the lots.

mogie01

Quote from: Redoverfarm on May 08, 2011, 08:40:42 PM
Your place is looking nice.  What is your porch railing made of? 

Thanks Redoverfarm.  We used cedar log railing on the porch.  Our plan is to use log siding on the cabin, that will be our next big job.

Mo

Redoverfarm

Mo were they made with a tapered tenon cutter?  If so could I ask the brand and where you obtained it?