Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CjAl

the new emissions diesel will get about 9mpg vs the 20 your 01 probably gets.

i just got rid of my 2010 ram with the hemi. it sure was pretty all jacked up with big tires and all but it sure wasnt worth the $700/mo note. it had a half dozen recalls and within 15k mi it had one window that wouldnt roll down, one door that wouldnt open from the inside and a suspension problem but that may have been with the 6" lift not the dodge parts.

my 92 suburban with 210k mi may not be pretty but it gets the job done and for a whole lot cheaper.

glenn kangiser

I have heard that the new ones are not what the old ones are.  Another guy with a 2010 1 or 1 1/2 ton was very displeased.   I only buy older trucks now.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

I don't want a new one, just one that has 4WD, quad cab, good running condition with all the problems worked out & fixed already - I think the mileage is better in the 2004- 2007 on the diesels...  would have to do more research.  Glenn's gas 2001 4wd Dodge only gets 12-13 mph.  but he didn't pay a whole lot for the truck.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

CjAl

take care of the cummins is good for a half milion miles + so dont let miles scare you. my accountant delivers new rv's with his 04 that has 600k  with no major motor work. the rest of the truck has been rebuilt ten times but nothing on the motor. the 24 valve 5.9 is the best medium duty diesel on the road. the 4wd lowers the mpg a good bit. he gets over 20 with hiz manual trans 2wd. towing campers.

my hemi hooked to my trl pulling my jeep got 6, that hurts. of course the 36" mud tires didnt help.

Redoverfarm

If they would only make the deisel truck bodies to last as long as the engines we would be set.  Walking toward 180K on my Powerstroke.  Expecting to have some body work done in the spring.  Hopefully that will carry be over the next few years. 

glenn kangiser

I think engineered failure is built in to a point on a lot of vehicles, but the old Cummins is one of the most reliable out there.  :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

CjAl

you will never find an untouched half million mile powerstroke. the v design isnt a good design for heavy use diesels. usualy by 150k powerstrokes are making more smoke than power. not knocking ford its just my opinion but i have been running heavy trucks for 20 yrs and i was a diesel mechanic before that. there is a reason there has been very little use v motors in the last 20yrs. v= high hp, high rpm.  inline = high torque, low rpm which equals longer life. and torque is what its all about

glenn kangiser

All  of my friends with Powerstrokes have trouble all the time after they get a bit older.  Lots of fuel leaks requiring working in hard spots in the top area of the engine... not mechanic friendly and seems like there are lots of problems with crankshaft speed or position sensors.

waggin

IMHO, it's hard to beat the older Dodges with the Cummins.  Here's my 1992 which looks a lot nicer in the picture than it actually is:

I'm sure someone else knows more than I do about the different years, but from what I've read, I'd be happy with anything up through 1998, which I believe was the last year of the 12-valve Cummins.  The 1994-1998 had the next (2nd) generation body style and is much cushier than mine.  After (around?) 1998, I think Dodge went to the 24 valve and added lots of electronics and pollution controls.  Mine didn't even come with a catalytic converter.

Even with, 4.10:1 gearing, I still get around 18-19 mpg.  I know several people with higher gearing (3.08/3.54) that get over 20 mpg with a 4wd with an automatic.  Mine has the Getrag 5-speed, and the gear spacing is lousy, and would be even worse if I had 3.54's.  I spent years looking for one, and now that I have one, I think I'd rather have the auto.  As much as I like mine, if I were daily driving something, I'd be more inclined to go with the 1994-1998 models.

I used to have a 2000 Powerstroke, and I suffered fuel leaks on that plus some random other tuning issues that could never be identified.  Let's just say that neither the dealer or Ford corporate seemed to care.  I'm a lot happier with my 1992 Cummins.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

glenn kangiser

The first generations were pretty good.  I had a 91.  Quite a bit less HP but a very good old truck... My son wrecked mine. I used it for a while then gave it to a friend.  It is still running 20 years later.

Windpower

my 2005 power sstroke has been GREAT !

except for the blown transmission case and about $3500 in engine work

but it has almost 113,000

and it gets about 17 MPG

oh well .....

It does make some real power when it starts and runs

oh well never mind ......
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

glenn kangiser

Funny... I know of several up here that one part of that description or another could fit.  I have a 99 Dodge Cummins.  Had a 53 block in it and that blew out - they are famous for cracks.  Now the new replacement engine is good but the trans is gone from it weighing 12000 lbs or so all of the time.

Rob_O

Quote from: waggin on December 15, 2011, 03:35:07 PM
I'm sure someone else knows more than I do about the different years, but from what I've read, I'd be happy with anything up through 1998, which I believe was the last year of the 12-valve Cummins.  The 1994-1998 had the next (2nd) generation body style and is much cushier than mine.  After (around?) 1998, I think Dodge went to the 24 valve and added lots of electronics and pollution controls.  Mine didn't even come with a catalytic converter.

The 12v motor was used for the first half of the year and in 1998.5 they brought out the 24V. I'm looking to pick up a 12V truck one day but finances dictate other things take priority right now
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

glenn kangiser

One of our former student guests posted a thought for the day.

"We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, but we forget that he is someone today."     [idea]

That is one of the reasons I like to teach young people how to build things, do things and answer their questions about things.  We can teach a child a major concept in a few seconds.  Something that would take them years to learn can be theirs now if we take the time to teach them when they care enough to ask or take an interest in what is going on.

Don't be fooled by your own ideas of a kids understanding.  I still remember asking questions about building things when around 4 years old and understanding that the answer I got from the adult was pure BS and non-interest.   >:(

Make a change.  Teach a kid something.  Fortunately for me, I had an uncle and a friend who moved in and taught me tons of things while I still had the ability to learn quickly.  Don't hope that a defective government school system will take care of it. 

To hell with team spirit.  A team never did anything they weren't told to do.  :o

Teach a kid to think for themselves.  Maybe one of them will come up with a new underground complex some day.

The kid who built this is an older kid, but he did not have a clue about how to do this until I taught him in a very short period of time.  He asked, he learned and he built debt free.  About $8000 when complete with help of friends, relatives and a sharecropper agreement on the land.

Now.....there are still things that I have failed to learn since I was a kid.   Guess I'll just have to keep trying...[waiting]

kubwill

Where does one sign up for the Underground House school?  :) 

I just came out of hiding - I've been reading your thread for quite a while now, thanks for keeping it updated! 

glenn kangiser

w* Kubwill

Looks like you just did.  [waiting]

Thanks so much for commenting.  It is people like you who keep me posting and keeping this thread going so that as we are sitting idling like a good ol' smooth running Cummins (music to my ears), talking about anything remotely related to the Underground Command Center, we are ready to jump onto any questions that a newcomer may have. 

That gives us all an opportunity to learn one more thing.  :)

glenn kangiser

Spikey boy thought he would pull a fast one.  Sassy had been working on the doors stripping varnish from them.

He just decided he would sneak in and help himself to a nice comfortable chair in the Great Room of the Underground Complex.

ben2go

glenn kangiser

He was a lap dog when little but outgrew that.  Now he just does not know he is not a people, Ben.  :)

Dustin

Glen, underground housing school might be a cool thing to attend. I'd like to.
I have 20 acres in southern UT that could use a Oehler house.

kubwill

Yeah, let us know when you set tuition prices :)

glenn kangiser

All free from me here guys. 

First thing I suggest is at least getting the $50 and Up Underground House Book from Mike Oehler.

http://www.undergroundhousing.com/primer.html

I don't get anything from this except the satisfaction of helping others. 

I have helped others with small projects but it is great to see my friend J, getting ready to move into his U house with his family soon.  He wanted to go in excess of the minimum requirements so it is taking a while for him to build his full size U house (in the picture higher on this page) but he is getting close.

After you get the book if you are still interested in going ahead, then I suggest his CD's - videos also for a much better understanding of his concepts.  Next, we tear it apart and talk about the things I have learned here so others also may learn.  :)

kubwill

I've skimmed the book in the past, but I plan on getting it from the library since I am off to re-read over winter break. 

I think the biggest fear I had when I looked at it (or yours) is that my hillside moving & digging equipment is not much more than a shovel...

glenn kangiser

For a few dollars you could add a pick and wheel barrow and you would have what Mike Oehler had, along with help of friends.  Just start small in that case but build it keeping expandability in mind.

It is slower but possible and cheaper.  Another option is to plan it out and ave someone come in and dig the excavation for you. :)

Dave Sparks

Hey Glen!

I would also add that if you write your plan down and tape it to the bath mirror a thing called providence can take over.  Providence and starting small are amazing enablers for big dreams! 

No white Christmas this year amigo! Keep your lime knife sharp!
"we go where the power lines don't"