Wall Framing ?

Started by peteh2833, August 27, 2008, 03:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peteh2833

I'm building the 20x30 1 1/2 story camp. Should I frame the long 30' side walls first or the Gable End walls?? Does it matter which one I frame First. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

OldDog

I did my long walls first and don't have a clue why!
If you live a totally useless day in a totally useless manner you have learned how to live

n74tg

Likewise I did my long walls first (57' walls). 

I also discussed it with a civil engineer friend who had been a homebuilder (built 25 houses) before he went back to college for the engineering degree.  He said that as either an engineer or a homebuilder that he couldn't see any advantage to choosing one over the other.
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

PEG688

The gable end walls  IF your going to loft the gable end on the deck and stand it with the gable already built would be the only reason I could see. It's easier to "see" all the details if that makes sense.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

I guess that goes to show that many, like myself, framed the gable ends after the short walls went up.

If I was doing it again it would make a lot of sense to frame that end wall on the deck. It would eliminate a lot of ladder work. 

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Somehow we can never get ahead of PEG.  d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

This question proves that there are no dumb questions.

It also shows that I didn't think the process through as well as I thought I had  before laying a hand on a stick of lumber.    d*
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

I will add standing up lofted wall is a PITA , BUT if your walls are a modified balloon frame like some of John's plans it is the only efficient way to do it.

AGAIN standing the walls either requires a lot of people , or some innovative wall jacking process. Lot's of weight  , very cumbersome stretched out weight so IF you try it , BE VERY CAREFUL about how you do it. 
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

AH!!! There ya' go. I forgot I was working on my own for a great deal of the time.  d* d*

At the best there were just two of us.  :)

That's also why I built some sections only 8 ft at a time. I will admit lifting the last end wall was a bear and required innovative techniques such as several 2x "legs" that tipped into place as I elevated the wall a little at a time. Too bad there's no pictures.

peteh2833

Thanks for all of the info. I will probably be building mine in small sections since most of the time I will be working be myself. I'll probably start with the end walls first on the first floor and then do the long walls. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

n74tg

I lifted a 12' long section of 2x6 wall (10' tall)(24" centers)(one 35" header) up today...by myself.

And I also learned that is ALL I can lift by myself. 

The 10' long sections aren't bad at all, but adding just two feet of wall length made a lot of difference. 

Edit:  I was going to use a 12 volt powered winch rig up, but decided there would be so much work in setting it up and moving it around from wall to wall, that it would just be a lot easier, less time consuming and probably safer if I would just stick to short (10' long) sections. 
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

Redoverfarm

A snatch block & come-a-long will do wonders for the back.  That is providing you have something on the outside to attach them to. Even an extra block or pulley onto a trailer hitch of your truck on the opposite side has worked as well as a well placed tree.  Hey if you get tired just put a couple braces for safety and grab a  c* then after your snack and the added energy boost just crank a little more. 

glenn kangiser

Just an idea - If it kills you - remember I told you not to try it.

I would probably fasten everything with all thread - maybe 2 of them - 1/2 inch dia or so.

Double 2x are in compression - ropes - cables etc are in tension - pull force goes from top of wall members to truck hitch - make sure top plate is well nailed  and sheathed or gusseted w/plywood - 2x etc. temporarily so you don't pull it off.  Wall should stop at hoist pole.  Safety ropes and all clear are advised.

Increase size of post as necessary if lifting bigger wall sections - or make another one.  How big you can safely lift is up to you -- I'm a rigger - not an engineer. d*

Height as necessary to clear wall and lifting device. 
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

OldDog

Now I remember!!!

We did the back long wall then the gable ends.  The front wall was last.

Reason?   The 2 trailers of framing material were backed up to the front!
If you live a totally useless day in a totally useless manner you have learned how to live