New Member here going to give it a try

Started by vern38, August 01, 2006, 08:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vern38

Actually I was searching the internet for small cabin plans and stumbled across this site. I just ordered The Whole Enchilada plans package and plan on building the 14x24 cottage. I have no home building experience other than furniture and maintenance so this should be a challenge. I did build a storage building in the spring of 2000 with no plans, all I did was look at a few pictures and an old book on framing and made a go for it. (See Pics Below) I was really caught up in reading the stories of other members like the 17 year old girl and the disabled man and his blind friend who built these homes and it was a true inspiration. Anyway I am looking for a more simple way of life and plan on finding some property in the Texas Hill Country and building my and my wife's retirement getaway.

Reason for the change in life, I had a stroke in Feb. and my wife just went threw cancer surgery and treatment, it can and did change me. We are living the all American dream right now nice house, fancy cars, RV, really good jobs but my job is a very high stress job and it just isn't worth it any more. I would rather be happy than stressed all the time soooo that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Hope to be on the forum more and will post some pics when the project is underway, the plan is to try and start on my birthday in September. The big 50 ;)

Vern

jwv

D*%n Vern,

Took alot to get your attention, huh?  ;)

Just think of a house as 3 of those sheds put together, with plumbing and electrical-but you can always sub those out if that's not your thing.  Your shed looks great.

I remember reading somehwere, maybe Rob Roy's book, that when you have your plans finalized fight the urge to "just add this or that" sq footage wise. That's how we get into projects we can't finish.

Here's an Early Retirement Forum you might enjoy:
http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php
Helps keep my work in perspective and gives me something to shoot for.

Welcome to the board, and take care.

Judy

jwv

And Amanda must think your carpentry skills are up to snuff as she's given you the green light. (Amanda doesn't give faint praise)

What are you waiting for, get busy.

Judy

Jimmy_Cason

Welcome to the forum!
It looks like you have the skills needed.
I had only built a couple of decks before I started my two story project.
If You have any questions this is the place to get many opinions and the wisdom of other builders trial and error. THese folks here have saved me lots of money and time....

Oh, and By the way.... We love lots of pictures!
You can start a free picture page at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/.
All yoou need to do is create a Yahoo ID

It works for me.

vern38

Thanks for the warm welcomes. Went home for lunch today and had a supprise wating, my house plans were already here. WooHoo! ;D Thanks John that was fast. Took them back to work and I am already making plans. ;)

Vern

MIEDRN

That's a nice shed for not having any building experience. Good job.

You'll find a lot of encouragement here and more than a few questions answered. I've not seen a forum like this before where everyone is helpful and more important - respectful!

We stumbled on a good thing! :) Good luck to you and keep the pics coming. They are very encouraging and I frequently learn something - even if it's how much I don't know!

jraabe

It always amazes me all the support that will surface on this forum when someone asks for it.

It's like this is almost a[highlight] social phenomena[/highlight]!  :o (What ever that is?  :D)

PS to Vern: The pics are great but a little too big. When they are as wide as they are here (900 plus pixels) they push text around and everyone has to scroll to read the messages.

Try to keep the images no wider than 600 pixels. You can do that resizing at some of the free photo upload sites like Photo Bucket.

More info here: http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1146802581

And welcome to the Forum - in a couple of more posts you will be an old hand.

glenn-k

Welcome, Vern.

Lots of good people here.  We don't allow troublemakers here-- (except me). :)

vern38

QuoteD*%n Vern,  

Took alot to get your attention, ;)

Just think of a house as 3 of those sheds put together, with plumbing and electrical-but you can always sub those out if that's not your thing.  Your shed looks great.

I remember reading somehwere, maybe Rob Roy's book, that when you have your plans finalized fight the urge to "just add this or that" sq footage wise. That's how we get into projects we can't finish.

Here's an Early Retirement Forum you might enjoy:
http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php
Helps keep my work in perspective and gives me something to shoot for.

Welcome to the board, and take care.

Judy

Hey Judy, I ordered both books and they have already came in. You can be sure I will be reading them real soon. ;)

QuoteIt always amazes me all the support that will surface on this forum when someone asks for it.

It's like this is almost a social phenomena!  Shocked (What ever that is? :D)

PS to Vern: The pics are great but a little too big. When they are as wide as they are here (900 plus pixels) they push text around and everyone has to scroll to read the messages.  

Try to keep the images no wider than 600 pixels. You can do that resizing at some of the free photo upload sites like Photo Bucket.

More info here: http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1146802581

And welcome to the Forum - in a couple of more posts you will be an old hand.

Sorry about the pics John, I should know better since I own and maintain a forum as well. I'll reduce the pics next time. ;) Speaking of forums how do you like YaBB? I am using a licenced version of Invision Power Board v2.17 with the Chat plugin and Invision Gallery v2.07. I have tried several other forum software packages but really like the IPB. Maybe it's just because I got use to it.

QuoteWelcome, Vern.

Lots of good people here.  We don't allow troublemakers here-- (except me). :)

Hey Glenn, same goes for //[color=#cc3300]http://www.outbackers.com[/color] no troublemakers allowed. Three warnings and if you don't listen you are baned and blocked from the forum. Of course "SINCE I OWN THE FORUM" ::)

Still looking for some land but haven't really found what I'm looking for. The wife want's for me to put it in the back yard but that is not what I really had in mind. Need somewhere to go to that I can just rest and take it easy when I need it and with DD (Dear Daughter) in town and 2 grandsons we have them at least 5 days a week. The bad part is DW (Dear Wife) will never say NO. :-/ This is one that will go my way, she has has had her way for 28 years. ;)

Everyone take care,

Vern 8-)
//[color=#cc3300]http://www.outbackers.com[/color]

desdawg

Hey Vern at 50 you are just a spring chicken. If the shed is any indicator you will do just fine. Every journey begins with a single step and it looks like you have already taken a couple.... and in the right direction. Lots of luck!

jraabe

Vern:

I was considering Invision software and Vbulletin as well when I settled on YaBB. Not sure it was the very best choice but we have had pretty good luck with it and folks seem to be able to get it to do most of what they want. Also, it is pretty simple so that guys like Glenn and me can figure it out.  :D

You have a lot of features working on your Outbackers forum and the gallery looks like a nice add-on.

vern38

John if YaBB works and everyone is happy that's all that counts. As for Outbackers photo gallery it really does add to the forum but you do have to put an end user upload size restriction so you don't get bombed out on drive space. There are free galleries out there such as Coppermine Photo Gallery which is the Gallery I started with. I believe the latest stable release is v1.4.8, easy to use admin and user friendly. I actually have 4 domains, 2 forums, 1 online store, 1 local business site and a personal site. Some of these are still under development but with what time I have after work and doing this kind of thing for a living (Network Administrator/Certified Server-Computer Hardware repair Tech.) I tend to slack some times when I get home. I'd rather be outback in the shop doing something or out in the RV... ;) Just finished doing a remodel of the RV bathroom, removed the mini tub and installed a custom built shower stall with door.

Anyway back to the Mini Houses, getting itchy hands just thinking about the new project can't wait to start. :)

Everyone take care,
Vern

okie-guy

Vern-I have finished framing our 1and1/2 story( See 1 and 1/2 story in Okla.), and some thoughts.I had built a house when I was young and also owned a motel and then a carwash during my 32 year business career ,so I had alot of experiance with tools and building things. This cabin was supposed to be something I could work on in my spare time and slowly finish.
I hired 2 really great teachers who built fences in the summer during their summer break and they thought it would be fun and different to help me frame ,deck and skin the cabin.
Here's what I learned:
1) with a 12X12 pitch and a 10 foot wall ; the ridge board is 20' off the ground. So a set skafoaling is a must and let me tell you it is up there when you climb to the top!
2) It took us about 1/2 a day just to get the braces and the 2X6's positioned to accept the ridge board and have it in the perfect position.
3) A 37' 2X12 ridge board is a real job to lift and set 20' off the ground. We used a sky lift and even that was a challenge.
4)2X12 X16' rafters weigh alot and were a real challenge to set.
5) There is no way I can roof this myself , a 12X12 pitch is for pros, not rookies like me
6) The walls went up smooth , but the quality of lumber today can really fustrate you to try and get out the warps and bows.
7) Since no materials list comes with the plans; Have someone who knows draw one up
If I was going to do this again, I would make them 8 foot walls with a 4X12 pitch(maybe trusses) and just make the footprint bigger to make up the space for the loft.
I am not unhappy with the results and what we acomplished. We are going to have a cabin that when people visit ,they are going to go "wow". And let me tell you its impressive when you walk in the front door. But if you are looking for a little project you can practice and learn on, this is not 3 or 4 sheds attached together like some have alluded to.
Good luck and ask me anything, These are my own thoughts and I'm sure there will be diagreement to what I wrote.
Oh yea right now I have $4700 in labor for three men, $4500 in lumber, $2600 in custom windows, $800 in plumbing, and $2600 in labor and Materials for the concrete. Which I think is pretty good.If I can build the whole thing for $45,000 I'll be happy.
Paul

glenn-k

Good points there Okie Guy.

People with common sense may experience those types of problems with height - unfortunately for me I don't experience those anxieties and working at the top of an 82' building seems to be the same as working 15 feet off the ground.  I even tipped a manlift over at 68' -  I seem to fail to connect the danger response with the event unless it kills me. :-/  I do try to make sure I'm reasonably safe and seldom have recurring nightmares of falling. :)

I agree that people who think they have a problem with height and don't overcome it easily should look for alternatives.  Their fear may set them up for an accident.

Manlifts can be rented - with help a reach forklift or standard forklift can be used with a work basket, terrain permitting - to safely do the work.  Cost of rental equipment can be prohibitive but possibly reasonable trades can be worked out.

vern38

Hi Paul, never thought it would be easy but figured it would be a satisfying challenge. I am very familiar with most all small hand tools, power tools, shop and welding equipment. I have a complete workshop setup that most would kill for, had a handyman/maintenance business for 2 years and purchased an extensive amount of equipment. As for heights you should try climbing a couple of radio towers that one will give you a real rush. :o

I think the project size would have something to do with it as well, the larger the project the more difficult it would be thats one of the reasons I'm building a 14x24 Builders Cottage. My dad has an old saying; I've got more time than money so if it takes awhile and I need to higher a little help that's ok just so long I don't give up. ;)

Everyone take care,
Vern

thinksmall

QuoteVern-I have finished framing our 1and1/2 story( See 1 and 1/2 story in Okla.), and some thoughts.I had built a house when I was young and also owned a motel and then a carwash during my 32 year business career ,so I had alot of experiance with tools and building things. This cabin was supposed to be something I could work on in my spare time and slowly finish.
I hired 2 really great teachers who built fences in the summer during their summer break and they thought it would be fun and different to help me frame ,deck and skin the cabin.
Here's what I learned:
1) with a 12X12 pitch and a 10 foot wall ; the ridge board is 20' off the ground. So a set skafoaling is a must and let me tell you it is up there when you climb to the top!
2) It took us about 1/2 a day just to get the braces and the 2X6's positioned to accept the ridge board and have it in the perfect position.
3) A 37' 2X12 ridge board is a real job to lift and set 20' off the ground. We used a sky lift and even that was a challenge.
4)2X12 X16' rafters weigh alot and were a real challenge to set.
5) There is no way I can roof this myself , a 12X12 pitch is for pros, not rookies like me
6) The walls went up smooth , but the quality of lumber today can really fustrate you to try and get out the warps and bows.
7) Since no materials list comes with the plans; Have someone who knows draw one up
If I was going to do this again, I would make them 8 foot walls with a 4X12 pitch(maybe trusses) and just make the footprint bigger to make up the space for the loft.
I am not unhappy with the results and what we acomplished. We are going to have a cabin that when people visit ,they are going to go "wow". And let me tell you its impressive when you walk in the front door. But if you are looking for a little project you can practice and learn on, this is not 3 or 4 sheds attached together like some have alluded to.
Good luck and ask me anything, These are my own thoughts and I'm sure there will be diagreement to what I wrote.
Oh yea right now I have $4700 in labor for three men, $4500 in lumber, $2600 in custom windows, $800 in plumbing, and $2600 in labor and Materials for the concrete. Which I think is pretty good.If I can build the whole thing for $45,000 I'll be happy.
Paul

Paul,

When I attempt to view the pics in your original post (1 and 1/2 Story in Oklahoma) I get this message:

No photos are available  

Sorry, elkcityokie has not enabled any public albums in their account.

Can you make your Yahoo album "public" (share it) please so that members here may view your pics?  I would really like to see your project now that it is framed!  

okie-guy

dear thinksmall , I think I enabled the album. Let me know if it is enabled. Thanks