Saw horses

Started by peg_688, May 24, 2006, 12:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peg_688

Here's mine , about 8 to 10 years old , used all most daily , hard :o

34" long , made of 2x6 fir top , 1x6 common / utility fir legs and lower ledge 2 brds wide , some 1/2 ac plywood screwed together with 1 5/8 drywall screws .

The lower ledge can hold tools , be used as a step , a plank can be used on the ledge or the tops for short staging.

When I lift heavy walls w/o my wall jacks I'll stuff the horses under the wall ata stud raising the wall to say chest height , pivoting of course on the toe nailed bottom plate , This lets you get the wall up to that odd/ hard change of hand location that can get ya sort of stuck.

So horses have many use's that's just a short list.

These horse "nest" nicely to move around / store / load in the van / truck to move , either up right or upside down.

Like I said on the other thread building a set would be good training as the start off project / phase for any new builder, and then you'll use them many times as you build , I have three sets of wooden ones spread around on job sites and a metal folding set for back up / emergency use .

I really don't like the metal set , very heavy , legs are made to fold so alot of the uses above [highlight]are not a good idea for the folding type [/highlight]as they would MTL fold at the wrong time .  

Pala

bartholomew

Those do look sturdy alright!

I was admiring the design of the sawhorses the Schluter's were using... very quick and easy to throw together from 2x4 scrap, stackable, and adequate for most jobs. Probably would want to add some bracing to the legs before using it for staging though...

Daddymem

Thanks.  We'll have to tell Audrey and Rick they are stars on CountryPlans now ;)  We didn't build these, they were leftovers from someone else construction project.  We got two pairs of wooden ones and a pair of the folding metal ones plus a big roll of metal fencing for $20 a few months back.  I imagine these wouldn't last nearly as long as PEG's but then again we are only building one house.  I may be using these for staging this weekend, thanks for the tip about bracing, we will add them.

Bouncer

I prefer the plastic ones. Not the cheapies you get at harbor frieght for $10.
The ones that go for $35-$40. There sturdy fold up and support a lot of wieght.
Kevin

Amanda_931

For many years I had a pair (lower than PEG's, but I'm short) that I'd made in a carpentry class--they were showing us how to do rafters.  No birds mouth cuts, though.

And once I made just one with a 4x4 as the top, the legs cut in to it at an angle.

The dogs and I used it as a step up to a semi-loft bed for years.

I really need to make some again.  At least one with the top a 2x4 on edge so I can easily attach a wringer that is sometimes easier to use than the spinner from the washer.

Both PEG's and the -mem crew's sale find look nice and sturdy.  I'd use them!  Even if I'd find that shorter works a bit better for me.