24x40 1.5 Story Michigan U.P.

Started by mgramann, January 24, 2013, 04:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Irregardless of the product name the frost heave will occur with either.  Just make sure that the bottom of the tube is below the frost level (freeze depth).  The platforms do make it a little more stable w/o frost issue. 

mgramann

Quote from: poppy on June 05, 2013, 12:12:11 PM
Not to be cranky, but Bigfoot is a brand name and what you are using appears to be a Sonotube product and square vs. round. http://www.bigfootsystems.com/

You are correct, hence my "sometimes called big foots"

Sonotube calls them a "Square concrete footing" http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/concrete-cement-masonry/forming-tubes/28-sonotube-square-concrete-footing/p-1398448-c-5652.htm

mgramann

Quote from: Redoverfarm on June 05, 2013, 12:34:48 PM
Irregardless of the product name the frost heave will occur with either.  Just make sure that the bottom of the tube is below the frost level (freeze depth).

I used to think the same thing, but occasionally frost/ice can "grab" the piers from the side and lift-or so the locals say.  Is it true?-I'm not sure, some google search results indicate it happens, so better safe than sorry, especially when extra stability comes with it.

mgramann

A very productive weekend, thanks to family.  My dad joined me, and we picked up my uncle who arrived in this:

The septic system was completed upon my arrival, along with the forms placed for the porch footings.  I was really glad I had the septic company dig and place them while they were there-the cost was VERY minimal because the backhoe made quick work of it.  I was very pleased with their work, and they used the large rocks they uncovered to surround the drainfield-a smart and attractive way to prevent someone from accidentally driving on it.

Pouring the footings went much faster than I expected.  The concrete truck operator easily lined up the chute and made quick work of filling the forms.  Because of this, I have no pictures of the work being performed, only the finished product.

The extra concrete was used to pour a small slab.  We build a form with a movable divide where I plan to have a shed.  Depending on how much concrete was left, we could adjust the divide to accommodate the concrete volume.  I ended up with a 4x8 slab, which I will likely use for a covered woodshed.  I highly recommend this to others who are having concrete delivered.  It's always smart to order extra, and this is a great way to make use of it.

After the pour, we started the electrical rough in for the kitchen and living room, completing nearly all of the outlets.  No pictures of that yet.

At the end of the day, I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to view my project from a very different perspective.

A great many thanks to my Dad and my Uncle Bill.  It was a great day.

C.Oden

Being a straight chap and avoiding substances for many years makes me want to get "high" like THIS!
Cool pics and dang nice build....sweet!  :)

ponygirl1

IT IS ABSOLUTELY BREATH TAKING AND THE PRIVACY EXQUISITE!

mgramann

It's been too long since I posted an update.  I'm actually tracking my build on another website, so I'm going to put the link here.  I apologize for the cross post, I just don't have time to post in both spots these days :)

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/homestead-construction/487777-our-northwoods-homestead-2.html

Jimbo Ricketts

great view of a awsome getaway , if its possible, give us an expence report plz. i like to see what people pay in diff parts of the world. especially intrested in what the radient cost you.thx   
no mam that's not the crack of my *$$ , its a plumbers pencil holder

C.Oden

[cool] [cool] [cool] [cool] [cool] c*
you slippery little stinker you.....been wondering where you been hiding. Absolutely beautiful!
Did ya sell the WI place then or ??? My guess is you are in the new place FT now??? Guess I gotta chase down the other thread now.....great to hear from you.

mgramann

Still in Northern Wisconsin, but hope to be in the new place by the end of the year.  Rather than move in and have to juggle personal belongings, we thought it best to finish as much as possible before moving in.  Still a ways to go on the interior.  Drywall started this week, and I hope to get a good start on the tongue and groove ceilings with my Dad/uncle this weekend.

Lots of changes(good) these days-and we are busier than ever!

Redoverfarm

Quote from: mgramann on September 12, 2013, 08:59:46 AM
Still in Northern Wisconsin, but hope to be in the new place by the end of the year.  Rather than move in and have to juggle personal belongings, we thought it best to finish as much as possible before moving in.  Still a ways to go on the interior.  Drywall started this week, and I hope to get a good start on the tongue and groove ceilings with my Dad/uncle this weekend.

Lots of changes(good) these days-and we are busier than ever!

Hope you are planning to pre-finish the ceiling before install.  It makes it a lot easier and gives a better finished product.

mgramann

The wood is coming finished.  I did the math, and with the volume discount I received, it cost an extra $300 compared to unfinished wood, poly and finishing it myself.  I considered it money well spent.

UperJoe

I followed you to other thread link also - nice work my man, nice work.
Happy you kept us in the loop here too. Your place is mighty nice! :)

mgramann

Still busy as ever, but I can't forget the place where I bought my plans!

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/homestead-construction/487777-our-northwoods-homestead-3.html

We are especially excited about the new addition!

UperJoe

Fantastic my man - the house for sure but even more so on the new addition. Yoooohoooooooo!
Congrats to both of you as you take yet another fork in the road to your dreams.
Happy for you all!!!!!! [cool] [cool] [cool] ;D