Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

I don't remember the taste but if you want, I will eat some more and tell you. :)

It is just sprouting now.

MountainDon

Don't go out of your way just for me.  :o If you figure that you might need a "Booster Chew", okay.   :-/

glenn-k

Seems some people really get it good so I would say if you have questions, don't do what I do.

Found this:

Regarding Native Americans and Poison Oak sensitivity: From a justice standpoint I like the speculation about telling the whites they should smoke it. However, at least in parts of California, the people did not avoid poison oak. Baskets (including food baskets) were made with the stems by several peoples in Central California. The Karok (and probably others in northwestern CA) used the twigs as spits for smoking salmon steaks, and the leaves for covering bulbs being cooked in an earth oven.

The Karok claim that they are not affected by it. According to the Yuki, full-blooded Indians are immune, but half-white folks are not.

References:
Curtin, Leonora Scott. 1957. "Some Plants Used by the Yuki Indians of Round Valley, Northern California." Masterkey. 31: 40-8, 85-94.

Merrill, Ruth E. 1923. "Plants Used in Basketry by the California Indians." Univ. of Cal. Publ. in Am. Archaeology and Ethnography. 20: 235.

Schenck, Sara M. and E.W. Gifford. 1911?. "Karok Ethnobotany." Anthropological Records. 13: 385.

Some of the Karok would eat a small leaf each year to confer immunity, but this may be a post-contact development, and might only refer to people of mixed blood. The informant who gave this information agreed with Schenk and Gifford's other informant that the Karok were not sensitive to it.

> But I'll update the site to include this info, that the Karok and Yuki Indians
> were immune in general.

Or claimed to be. It is possible that the immunity is exaggerated in the telling as one of the things that separates the "strong, healthy" (and proud of it) full-blooded Californians vs. the "weak, sickly" half-blooded. It does seem clear that the sensitivity was lower than that of most of us, though.

> I bet *some* of them weren't so lucky though, but
> I have no idea.)

My feeling, too. I'm guessing that the percentage of California natives sensitive to urushiol is drastically lower than Euro-americans, but not zero. I came across figures somewhere that approximately 80% of "people" were sensitive from first exposure, and that about 90% of the rest of us who start out immune eventually develop sensitivity.

Here: http://www.knoledge.org/oak/

More from above:

QuoteETIQUETTE

Because Poison Oak is one of the worst afflictions mankind must suffer, there must be rules of etiquette for dealing with it.

IF YOU HAVE NEVER HAD POISON OAK:

* You may not joke about it.

* You cannot say, "Don't you know what it looks like?"

* You may not offer your advice on how to treat it.

* You must show nothing but sympathy, and if it is feigned it must seem genuine.

* Absolutely no smirking!

* You are not allowed to intimate that the person who has Poison Oak deserved it, or is afflicted due to incompetence on their part.

IF YOU ARE IMMUNE:

* All the above rules apply to you.

* You may never boast of your immunity, and especially never touch poison oak to demonstrate your immunity. I heard of a man who ate a poison oak leaf to show off. This is a justifiable motive for homicide.

* If you cannot follow the above guidelines, please kill yourself now.

IF YOU HAVE HAD POISON OAK:

* You must show sympathy, and tell anecdotes about how bad you had it.

* You may joke and laugh, as long as you make it known that you feel very deep sorrow at the affliction.

* Feel free to imply that all immune people should be exterminated off the face of the earth.

MountainDon

1. You don't really need to eat any more just for the rest of us... but if you do, why not a video?   :o

2. I can easily believe that some people, because of genetics, are immune to poison oak. There are many things that can be found to afflict (or not) certain groups of people that can be traced to genetics.   :)

3. I Love the Etiquette Rules.   (LOL)

peg_688

Quote1. You don't really need to eat any more just for the rest of us... but if you do, why not a video?   :o

2. I can easily believe that some people, because of genetics, are immune to poison oak. There are many things that can be found to afflict (or not) certain groups of people that can be traced to genetics.   :)

#1:  Sure he does ! Provide photo's  for proof ;D

#2: Glenn doesn't have genetics, he really from space , Uranis I think ;D

jonseyhay

Watch out PEG, if those guys are wrong about global warming, Glenn is going to want to move in with you. He will probably bring his bobcat so he can dig a batcave in your front lawn. ;D

peg_688

Hey Mate , hows it goin fer you!!

Global what???  ;D   Glenn can move up here any time the wenniy thinks he can take the weather , again ::), he was from Or"o"gon ya know , or so he sez ::) I'm still thinkin uranus  ;D

He just might wanta dig up my front yard ifin he ever gets up this way :o Better duck,,,, he may use some of those super Admin powers on me  :o :o

jonseyhay

Hi PEG,
Things are fine down here. We are settling into the new house and I'm slowly knocking the rough edges off. I have decided though, that the next move I make, there will only be one box, and it'll be me in it.  ;)
Keep an ear open for the sound of that bobcat mate, and be ready to duck. He told me he was digging a tunnel so watch out he may be coming underground ;D

peg_688

QuoteHi PEG,

#1:  I have decided though, that the next move I make, there will only be one box, and it'll be me in it.  ;)

#2:   Keep an ear open for the sound of that bobcat mate, and be ready to duck. He told me he was digging a tunnel so watch out he may be coming underground ;D

#1: Well let's hope that some years off , EH! :)

#2: He could be , aparently there are 100's of tunnels come from Canada , BC . Down this way, maybe Glenn wants to "link up" with some of those Nob's , eh! ;D

Good to hear things are OK dwn under, is it still really dry?? Hows the garden ?? I gotta get mine turned over soon , this three weeks early day light savings time should help with that, although it is sort of wierd to spring forward when it's still winter, offically ::)

glenn-k

Man -- a guy can't leave this forum unattended to get some work done for two minutes.  All of the sudden I come back and PEG and Jonesy are tearing up my thread. :o

PEG -- I'll have you know, I'm a troglodyte,

---- not a Klingon from Uranus.

glenn-k

Now you nearly made me forget about the poison oak.

OK - yeah PEG -- with pix and or video.  Do I have to take a bath first? :-?

glenn-k

Jonesy - progress is going well on the tunnel from the shop over toward the sawmill.  I'll try to remember to get pix tomorrow.  This is being done open top and will be covered when done with an earth covered roof.  

At this point it is planned  be 8 to 12 feet wide most of the way I think and who knows what will happen if I hit a giant rock? :o

peg_688

Man -- a guy can't leave this forum unattended to get some work done for two minutes.  All of the sudden I come back and PEG and Jonesy are tearing up my thread. :o

Just chauk it up to thread drift, some one once told me it was a good  thing ;D

glenn-k

I guess you are right -- we wouldn't have got to see that cute Klingon chick if it wasn't for that. :)

desdawg

I think we are past drift here. This is more like the Tsunami effect.
Glenn, I heard you live in an underground house. Any truth to that rumor?

glenn-k

I used to desdawg, but I barely know where I am right now.  I think I need more sleep.

Lets see --- I need to eat poison oak.  

I need to do the video so PEG will know I really am crazy.   :-/

... of course poison oak is part of the Underground Cabin culture.  We watch for it every time we are above ground.  I just don't worry about it as much as Sassy, but then if it gets on my clothes then goes through the washing machine, I guess it's a free for all.

Concrete is coming today for the shop - at least part underground shop.  Guess I have plenty to do.

Are you getting ready to fire up the sawmill yet, desdawg? :)

peg_688

Lets see --- I need to eat poison oak.  

I need to do the video so PEG will know I really am crazy.   :-/

quote]

Oh no need for futher proof Glenn there are ample case in points in the misc. section. ;D ;D

glenn-k

I see I still haven't convinced you yet, PEG.  I must try harder.   :-/

I know-- You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.  :'(

peg_688

I see I still haven't convinced you yet, PEG.  I must try harder.   :-/

Oh I'm pretty well convinced of something ;D No need to try harder :o

glenn-k

OK PEG -- you're picking on me again.   :)

Back to more insanity.

Jonesy - you wanted to see the start of the tunnel out of the Underground Complex shop -  I think we are going to make the shop disappear a bit more in the future - stick it a bit more underground. :)

The tunnel will be open topped as it is excavated then have a bridge over part of it for the Bobcat - the rest will be covered as it goes to the North shop near the sawmill - about 75 feet away.  It will be a curving tunnel because I don't want visitors to be able to see the other end - it will look too short. :(

It will also allow me to keep all of my oak trees.  I don't like to cut them.  

The last 1 1/2 days we got ready for the concrete pour in the shop.

Actually 1/2 day yesterday and 1/2 today and poured it this afternoon.  It measures about 32' x 34'

I am considering plastering the straw bales at least partway up while everything is away from the wall.

And finished this about 7 PM tonight.

peg_688

Just trying to give you the attention you deserve buddy :)

Late night pours aways look better at night ;D

What time did the truck show up??  

Oh ya nice trench ;) Under ground escape route ??  :-/

glenn-k

I put him on "will call" for PM so got him here about 1:30.  We were finished by 7pm but it was a lot of work for three guys.  All in all it came out pretty good.  Seems we are always flatter with hand finishing than we are with the trowel machine.  This job was too small for the trowel machine anyway.

It didn't help any that I decided to the whole 3 sections today rather than the 2 I originally planned, but we finished it pretty easily and now the whole thing is done rather than having to set up another pour day.

glenn-k

Missed part of that PEG.

I want lots of underground escape routes. :)

This is just a tunnel for a shortcut from one shop to another on the other side of the mountain. and room for more storage along the side of it.

homemom1fl

Gee Glenn, great site!  Stumbled on it after reading Mike's book and I am really excited.  I plan on ordering the dvds as I am not very good at looking at individual pictures and putting it all together in my mind (thankfully dh is).  I was wondering how much of your house is actually underground, how many are offset rooms, what did you use the strawbales for, etc.  I am so intrigued by what you have done and I also have to buy one of the signs like you have on your property!