How much was your spouse able to help on the build?

Started by suburbancowboy, May 24, 2012, 03:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenhill

One of the primary reasons I had for building a cabin was so I could work this with my 2 boys (both young teenagers at the time).  I wish I had done something like that with my father, so I "made it so" with my family.  It took longer, but the skills and the pride of accomplishments they gained were worth the time.  Now they are off on there own, they are amazed at what boring lives theirs peers have lived as far as family activities....

Checi

Quote from: kenhill on June 08, 2012, 07:07:08 PM
One of the primary reasons I had for building a cabin was so I could work this with my 2 boys (both momyoung teenagers at the time).  I wish I had done something like that with my father, so I "made it so" with my family. 

I'm doing my build with my adult daughter. She is an academic and did not know how to use tools very well before but now she can mix and float cement, balance a laser level and square a foundation. She's seen her mom replace half the windows at our old house in FL. She saw and helped mom frame and roof a shed and gut a bathroom and build a brand new one from the studs out. And now she takes it for granted that mom is going to build herself a whole little house. After that, she'll help me build one for her right next to it. And then after that, we both will be building a bridge over one stream on our land so we can get the truck back there to the woods. She knows she'll be helping to build the big log house overlooking the pond.

I guess I raised a young woman who actually doesn't know that this work is thought of by most men as their own.

Erin

Having been that young woman (now slightly older), I guarantee she knows. 
She just doesn't care.   :)
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1