Pier construction and termites?

Started by MushCreek, October 28, 2009, 02:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MushCreek

We're going to build (some day) in rural SC, and the termite infestation there is 'extreme' or whatever the worst ranking is (just like here in FL). If I should build on piers, what's to keep the buggers out of my framing? Termites can and will build a pretty long mud tube to get out of the ground and reach wood, especially if un-disturbed (like, say, under a house!). I figure if building on a foundation, it's easy enough to go around the perimeter, inside and out, and look for mud tubes a couple time a year. But what about under a house built on piers? Since this will be my retirement home, I can't see myself wriggling around under the house with the snakes and spiders to do a termite check when I'm an old duffer. What does everyone else do about this? I know you can put metal termite shields at the top of the post, but are they really 100% effective? What about dry wood termites? While we're at it- do you think that rot and/or mold would be a problem under a pier house in the humid southeast?
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

JRR

I would think piers would be easier to protect and inspect than most other supporting systems.  More natural light, more ventilation, etc ... but fewer earth contacts.  Of course, you still want to mantain the earth-to-untreated wood recommended spacing for your area.

Many of the old Carolina beach homes were built on piers (stilts) ... more for high-water protection.

I would consider making the piers of reinforced concrete.  A few of the beach homes were this way.  I have noticed some of the State Park cottages are built on what looks like railway crossties.  A new fully treated creosote crosstie would make a poor termite meal.

I used to have a source of treated cross-bars that were used on power poles.  They were very nice for ground contact construction.

MushCreek

The piers would definitely be concrete.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.