12x16 Phase1

Started by Abbynrml, January 23, 2009, 08:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_P

That's cute.
I like the fact that there isn't a hinge point like you'd have with a short post under a floor beam, the walls can stabilize the posts.

I hope you're open to a couple of suggestions. You can pick up more wall rack bracing if there is at least one X braced bay in each wall. We get the same effect nowadays normally with plywood or osb on at least the corners of a building but the old timers either let in or framed in "wind bracing". Sliding in a sheet between posts on the inside and securing it to the horizontal girts well would do it too. Also it looks like the top plates are 3 flatways 2x4's spanning about 4' and carrying the roof and part of the loft load. It is a small building but thats alot of work for flatways lumber to do and not sag over time. If you can sneak some headers under the plates on the bearing walls it'll strengthen that (it could be I'm not seeing it all clearly either). I look forward to your floor experiences.

Abbynrml

Next weekend I will add the tie down straps then 2x6 braces under the top plates, set between the posts.
I had not intended on using x bracing. Do you think it is nessary?
I will wrap it with tar paper then add siding, but thats not until june.
Hopefully, the trees will break enough of any winds until then.
Also it is open, so the wind will go thru.
On the inside I will add insulation, thinking of foam board, then just paint it. Leaving the 4x6 posts half exposed on the inside.

John Raabe

Abbynrml:

I don't think 400 lbs in the loft would be a problem. Your suggested addition of straps will help a lot.

If you tell me the total length of your ridge beam, its real size and the point along its length that the load is hung then I can run a quick calculation to see if I can get an estimate for you on the loft load.

As to your second question about lateral bracing. In short you don't have much. You do have a sturdy roof diaphragm, which means that in hurricane force winds the roof would likely stay together long enough to exert enough force to push over the walls. :P It also looks like you are well protected by trees, which probably means the place will be lost to a falling tree before it blows apart. :D :D :D

All lovely thoughts, of course.  But better to think them while you are still building.

If you are going to turn this into living space sometime in the future, then you will want to brace the walls with something more than open horizontal boards and probably clear a tree or two on the windward side. Personally, I would keep it as a covered corral or shed - it's built fine for that use.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Abbynrml

The ridge beam is two 2x8's 18 foot long out of southern yellow pine. Is is set on 4x6 posts that are 16 foot apart. The loft is hung at the center of the ridge and at the end wall. A 8 foot span.

John Raabe

Doing a quick Calc on the load at the hanging support gives a safe load of around 500 lbs. The total loaded weight for the entire loft could be higher as not all the weight is carried by the ridge beam.

NOTE: An engineer would look at more issues such as the hanger hardware and the peak roof load which I have not considered. So don't take this as an engineered solution. ;)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Abbynrml

Awesome!
Thank you John!!
and the disclaimer is noted.   ;)

I intend using this as a shed. I will work and camp out of it as I prepare the land for a home. I intend building a home in several years, in the same style as this shed.
This is kind of a test run.

Abbynrml

Did not get alot done this weekend. I did get the 2x6 braces added under the top plates. Got 2 windows framed in, but then ran out of 1x4s to finish with. I tried attaching the tie down straps, but realized I need a punch to make a hole. I bent 6 nails just getting 2 holes in the heavy banding straps I am using.
Next time I will take a punch and try again.
It rained saturday morning for an hour just before daylight and again sunday morning. I gave up and came home early. Always next week, hopefully it will go better then.

Abbynrml

Another weekend, I cut it short because mothers day is tomorrow.
Got three walls ready for siding, next time I'll finish the last one.
Got the x bracing in and the tie down straps added.

The unnatural resourses are getting smaller...

Abbynrml

Just got another deal off craigslist.
I got about 100 sheets of styro foam.
1/2" thick and 2'x3'. The guy said he has more too.
Hope he remembers to save my email and let me know when I can get it.
It was packing for the end caps from a store rack.
I will put this up on the shed for insulation.

Abbynrml

Got the styrofoam hauled to the site. We also burned alot of the cut brush this weekend. If I can keep it mowed it should start looking nicer.

Here is a pic of the supplies on site as of today.

Abbynrml

Very wet weekend this time.
Oh well, still got alot done.
My dad and I went up and burned alot of the brush.
Rain kept putting out the fire, well slowed the fire down anyway.
But still we got alot of the cut brush burned.
That was a good thing. Had fun too. My dad is amazing. He out worked me all day saturday.  Maybe next time we can finish burning and mow it all.
That will make it look nicer.

Abbynrml

Well, spent friday burning and cleaning up.
Here is what it looks like now.
Much better for fire safety.I hope I never get as close to a fire as Don did.

Jens

The place is looking awesome!  I can't remember the beginning of the thread, and forgive me for being too lazy to read all the pages but, are you using pallet lumber?  I have found, that some welding shops get their sheet goods on 10 foot long pallets, that use either 4x4 or 2x3 (dimensional) skids.  I got one made of oak, and another made of poplar (I think).  Ask them first, but in my area at least, they'll let me take a couple here and there.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Abbynrml

Thanks Jens.
I copied this from my earlier post:
I found an ad on craigslist for the wood. It was a walkway trellis in a nice townhome complex. All total, I guess about 4000 pounds of treated wood. I got 32 4x6 posts, probally 10 2x10s, 25 2x6s, and 200 2x4s. Almost all the nails were removed by the seller. Wonderful deal, all of it for $180.  Some will need to be cleaned up and all, but most everything I bought is in good condition. I guess 3 years old. Some tags still, wolminzed (sp) above ground contact on the 2x6s, and .4 for ground contact on the 4x6 posts.

Abbynrml

Well I am having second thoughts about going this weekend.
The forecast reads like this:

Saturday: Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 99. Heat index values as high as 108. South wind around 10 mph.
Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 77. South wind around 10 mph.

For sure wont get much done during the afternoon.  :-\

Abbynrml

I went after all. It was hot. Burned abit more and sawed up a slab of oak to use for a bench.

On the way home I pass a church, somehow this just isn't right.
Bet they have trouble finding an alter boy!

Jens

I thought it said "Goy Hill" at first, which totally would've made sense, but Gay Hill is even better!
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Abbynrml

Once again I have changed plans.
I intended to use a soil cement floor, but now I will do a wood floor instead.
The more research I did changed my mind. Seems most people have found that the alternative just does not hold up for long term use. And I already have enough wood to frame it all. I will only need to buy the subfloor decking. As others have pointed out, my crawlspace is only a few inches. I think that a roll of tarpaper between the joists and subfloor would help keep the floor dry. Any suggestions or comments??
A few pics from yesterday, got a little done, but not much. It was too hot to stay and work all day. It was 102F, with the heat index added it felt like 105. I about melted. LOL

Don_P

go to www.southernpine.com and download the permanent wood foundations pdf. I remember near the end of it they had details for treated wood floors on grade.

Abbynrml

I got half decked on the 4th of july. lol

Abbynrml

2 more weekends and now almost all decked. Only 2 more sheets to cut and fit on the porch.

Abbynrml

Got a bit more done on the shed. All decked finally.  ;D

Abbynrml

Got all the windows in finally and finished caulking the floor.
Also framed a double door and covered it temporaily with some leftover plywood.
The siding is next.

seems to be a never ending list of stuff to do next....

Mike 870

What are you going to side it with.  I kinda like the look of it now, looks like something from a western.

Abbynrml

Quote from: Mike 870 on July 26, 2009, 06:25:20 PM
What are you going to side it with.  I kinda like the look of it now, looks like something from a western.
Thats the million dollar question.
I still have not decided what to use.
Cost will be the main factor.
I want good and cheap, any suggestions on what I should do anybody?