12x16 Phase1

Started by Abbynrml, January 23, 2009, 08:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

Will everyone please notice...:o Glenn is getting up at 5:13 am at the start of a long series of workdays to answer questions for forum members before he leaves.

I couldn't (and don't) pay him enough to do this. He does it for free.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Abbynrml

Thats very interesting. More to think about.
Thank you Glenn for the advice!

glenn kangiser

My pleasure. 

I was just a bit upset when younger that it was likely our kids would never be able to afford their own houses so I just wanted to do as much as I could to help everybody beat their own little part of the system. :)

Thanks to the rest who contribute their time also.

...and thanks for a place to share ideas, John. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Abbynrml

Ok, heres the latest set of ideas/plans for my shed/cabin. Its a pole frame design that is set on precast piers. I think this will be the best combination of ideas for me.

Abbynrml

I got a bit more done today. Batter boards and strings set. rough post locations marked. A big tree limb was removed from overhead the site. And I got 6 of the precast piers onsite. Whew, I'm beat. But happy.  ;)

A close up of the piers and my vast tool collection... :P
1 of the buckets is stuck on the concrete pier. If it does not come loose, I will have to cut it off. 5 came right off. so I can reuse them for the last set of 6 piers.

Abbynrml

I'd like to add this. Theres a tree that needs to come down. The top is dead.
I am going to have it sawn into 1x4s. I figure about 1500 board feet in this tree, enough to do the inside of the shed. All 100 yr old post oak. A local sawmill quoted me 50 cents a board foot.

Ernest T. Bass

I don't know about other places, but around here you can buy rough cut lumber for under 40 cents a foot, so 50 cents for your own tree sounds kinda high...

Also, I apologize to Glenn for missing an opportunity to cheer for him. :) Maybe we need to start a Glenn appreciation thread.. ;)

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

Redoverfarm

Local mills in this area usually charge $150 a thousand to saw. 

Abbynrml

I guess I need to shop around some more for a sawmill.
I got the other 6 piers poured and drying in the buckets right now.
Next trip they will go to the site.

ScottA

That's a pretty slick footing system you came up with. Did you reinforce the concrete with anything or just puor it in the bucket?

Abbynrml

I just poured it in. I thought of adding a rebar on the hook, but didnt.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Ernest T. Bass on February 07, 2009, 10:52:04 PM
I don't know about other places, but around here you can buy rough cut lumber for under 40 cents a foot, so 50 cents for your own tree sounds kinda high...

Also, I apologize to Glenn for missing an opportunity to cheer for him. :) Maybe we need to start a Glenn appreciation thread.. ;)

Gimme a break, Andrew. [waiting]

I'm slowly depreciating....  there is no need... rofl

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Pricing on th e sawmill is probably a bit regional or even per operator.  Here our local one gets $1.00 per BF for his lumber - more than HD or Lowes.  He sold me logs at estimated .40 per bf to cut on my own mill.  I also would want $1 around here as I don't want to cut for others much.  I will let Whitlock use my saw.  He trades me work, and is familiar with that type of work as he ran a mill in the past,  but I don't trust many around it.

Abbynrml

Well the sawmill can wait awhile. I have a bunch to do before I worry about the inside.
I did get a fair deal today.
I got 7 nice storm windows and a lawnmower for $150.
2 small, 1 a bit bigger, 2 medium, and 2 bigger, all under 3 ft wide.

glenn kangiser

Ahhh -- great ... the pile of unnatural resources begins. :)

Abbynrml

I had planned on breaking ground today. However the weather did not agree.
50% chance of rain. So, I plan on going tomorrow.
Here is my footing/foundation layout plan. Does it look good?
I want to get the holes dug, rock packed in, and precast piers set in the holes.
I will fill the holes with the soil cement mix after I get the frame set in place.
I also decided I need to redo the string layout. I am going to swing the cabin to about 15 degree off of north. That will give me a more southeast view from the site.

Abbynrml

Well, guess I'm in trouble. I'm over budget and behind schedule.
Got the strings redone and set the 4 corner piers. Turned out to be a beautiful day.

glenn kangiser

Abbynrml

Another beautiful day. I got a bit more done.  :)
Only 3 more piers to set. Got the outline set up in pressure treated 2x6's.
Everything is square and almost dead level.

glenn kangiser

Will the crawlspace be a bit tight?

Abbynrml

No crawl space. Plan on gravel/crushed stone to fill then a soil cement floor.
Also think I will put landscape stone around the edge to give it a stone slab look.
At the lowest point it is 2 1/2" to the ground. 8 1/2" at the highest. Fill with the stone and pour the soil cement for the last 1 1/2". Using a jute mat as a barrier between the two. Allowing the stone to act as a french drain to carry water/rain away.
The piers will support the posts for the pole frame. So I will do the floor/slab after the roof is on.

glenn kangiser

Cool - an alternative floor.  I see we talked about alternatives a bit earlier. d*

We find the soil cement to be a bit soft  and chips a bit easily.  Maybe you could up the cement content a  little.  I'll be interested in your formula you use.  Thanks.

Abbynrml

I got a little bit more done today.
However, I'm afraid I broke a major rule.
I forgot the camera.  d*
Anyway got the last of the piers set.
Next time I need to drop that tree thats at the site.
Not much done today, but I did enjoy watching the birds, butterflies, and clouds.
I spent half the time there today just goofing off.

glenn kangiser

That's half the fun and an important part of it.

Windpower

After 58 1/2 years (and counting) I now think that just sitting and observing is sometimes the best that we can do

it can be remarkably productive

(this is usually understood after much time passes)
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.