Going to the Property tomorrow!

Started by Willy, March 19, 2008, 09:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

Well I am going to chance it and head to Chesaw tomorrow! Slite chance of snow there tonight lows in the 20s-30s and warm up to the 40s-to low 50s by afternoon. I am going up to see how it wintered and prune up fir trees for something to do. If the snow is allmost gone I will head up again with the tractor and make the driveway and clear the site for the peir posts. If I can get them in it will be framing time even if it is cold, that is what Carhartts and long johns are for. So maybe it is building time once again. Boy it has been a long winter waiting to build! Mark

MountainDon

Mark, how far away is it from home? (you may have said once but I don't recall)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Willy

Quote from: MountainDon on March 19, 2008, 09:34:51 PM
Mark, how far away is it from home? (you may have said once but I don't recall)
It is 160 miles round trip. So driving my 9-MPG 1 ton I better be able to work. I will be taking the 25 MPG little truck this time and the loaded up 1 ton on the next trip. Mark

sparks

Anybody here want a 1983 Bronco, about 160k miles? Not to bad shape.
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

Willy

Quote from: sparks on March 19, 2008, 10:03:15 PM
Anybody here want a 1983 Bronco, about 160k miles? Not to bad shape.
Not realy my old 1973 Chevy 454 CID 1 Ton 4X4 Dulley does the job for me. A little old but completly gone thru and rebuit and I can even work on it! Mark

tanya

I don't know that area up in Chesaw... The snow might be gone BUT the mud!!!  I lived up there one winter and early in the spring I went back to the house to check out the mud situation to see if I could pull out the camp trailer I still was waiting to move. 

Long story short I ended up stuck up to all four axels in mud.  Luckily I had been renting from a friend and the house was still empty except there was still firewood and camping blankets in the trailer, a neighbor brought us dinner.  We spent the night and the next morning I used a piece of plywood to hold the jack ( it kept sinking inthe mud) and jacked up all four axels, then I put really really big rocks under the tires and drove out. 

The neighbor was surprised when he saw my car onthe road the next morning he was going to bring his tractor to pull it out.  When he asked how I got it out I said magic!!! That mud is sneaky it seemed like good solid ground, but once the car had sit in the driveway for about a half hour it was sunk.  And that is how it is in Chesaw most places.  Probably the best farm land I have ever seen anywhere though. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

glenn kangiser

Good point, Tanya.  I have found that 4 wheel drive just means it will be harder to get out when stuck.  Don knows how to do it though -- don't put it in 4x4 until you need to get out --- my problem is that it would be right after i went down a hill.  I know -- don't do that. d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

tanya

I know that mud is the worst to get stuck intoo.  And I totally think that if I had not gotten my car out when I did and braced it up with that plywood to spread out the sinkage, it would have been swallowed up totally and remember I was parked on an established driveway!!!  At least I know how to get out of the mud now though I have had to use that process a few times since and byt he way little rocks don't work they jsut get sucked up by the mud too you have to jack up the vehicle as far as possible and put the biggest rocks possible in the hole.  and of course it is very dangerous working with a jack in mud so never ever take your eyes off the jack and if it moves even slightly get away fast. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

Willy

Well it is 27 degs out right now so it won't be to muddy. Nice part about the dirt on the property it is sandy so mud is not a problem and no hills where I will park. The ground has not been drove on and has a grass base and not rutted out. The road going in has been maintained all winter and probley will be frozen up this morning. In 13 years I have only been stuck twice and it was with a 2 wheel drive empty van which are tearable in mud and snow. I have spent the last 5 months driving on snow and mud here allready so pretty used to watching what I drive into. Besides I will have a 20 year old kid with me to dig and push me out while I steer. Mark

glenn kangiser

Be sure he pushes right behind the rear tire, Mark.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Willy

Quote from: glenn kangiser on March 20, 2008, 10:18:24 AM
Be sure he pushes right behind the rear tire, Mark.
Well he just got here so we could go. I allways have them push from that point that way they can tell me if the tires are spinning. Nice thing about the 1 ton it has 4X4 and a 8,000 lb winch on the front to help also. Mark

peternap

Have fun Mark. I want and need to go to the farm (I'm behind on everything) but dad has been having a family get together on Easte,r ever since my Mother died. He won't be around much longer so I need to go.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

ScottA

Stop stalling. Load up the truck, plow the building sight and get to work. If I can build houses above 10,000 feet in Colorado in January there are no excuses.

Willy

Quote from: ScottA on March 20, 2008, 08:18:05 PM
Stop stalling. Load up the truck, plow the building sight and get to work. If I can build houses above 10,000 feet in Colorado in January there are no excuses.
Your right and I did today. We cut down 15 fir trees to get a better view. I have hundreds on the place so it is nice to see the valley. Going back up after the week end with the tractor posts and concrete and spend a couple days in a row staying over night. Mark