Aluminum vs. Vinyl

Started by pioneergal, May 23, 2006, 10:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioneergal

There has been so much happening lately and I don't remember if I have already asked this question.

What are pros and cons of aluminum and vinyl windows?

I was in our local LOWES today and a lady who was the Pella Rep. just happened to be on site.

Knowing that she gets paid to say all the right things I was wanting the input of those that I have learned to trust in the past year.....Design and Build Forum.  ;)

The guy at our local hometown building center is a promoter of the aluminum window ...his thinking is that the vinyl window won't hold up in the Texas heat without problems of warping and etc.
On the other hand, Lady Pella stated that the vinyl window was introduced in Texas about 3 years ago,  in Florida, and Arizonia about 7 years ago with no heat related problems.

DH and I would be most appreciative to anyone that would share their views and opinions.

Oh yeah, almost forgot....does anyone have information on the $500 energy rebate for new buildrers and remodelers who install energy star windows and appliances in their projects ?

pioneergal

I am soooo embarrassed   :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I just found my own thread on this very subject that I posted a month ago.

Told you my forgetter was getting better :D

Oh well, if anyone has anything to say please add your thoughts.

We still don't know what we will decide on A vs. V.

There is a window manufactuer in Dallas " Silver Line" that I plan to call tomorrow to check on their windows and maybe  find a local dealer.  

AAA-DAY

I have lived in houses with wooden, vinyl, and aluminum windows. And it is my opinion that the aluminum are the best. Our current house and the cabin we are building both have exterior aluminum clad wooden windows, they have been my favorite. They are very sturdy, sound, and weather resistant, although pricier than others. If your budget does not allow for these, then my choice would be aluminum.
We shopped at Lowe's and HD for windows first, then went to a local window manufacture (Oxbowindow) and they had windows as high a quality as Pella, but they were less. They have been SO helpfull and we have had excellent customer service. Sometimes the little guys are worth checking into. Hope you find your windows and peace of mind with your choice :)
Amy

Amanda_931

And the little guys are much more likely to have back lots where the specials are.

Robert_Flowers

Don't get aluminum windows they sweat we have aluminum windows now i hate them i find water stains on the sills it gets very bad in the winter.
Go with aluminum clad wooden windows or wooden windows that have pvc brickmold and sills.
M&W windows are a good window and they cost about 150.00 for a 36x54 here in middle georgia instock at Lowes.

Robert