Toilet inside shower

Started by Dberry, May 20, 2006, 08:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dberry

I have a nook I'm trying to squeeze a bathroom into in the attic I'm designing and was thinking about just tiling the whole tiny room and having the whole thing be the shower.  Anyone ever heard of that or seen that done?  This will be a 2nd bath, not the primary one.

How would you keep the TP dry?

Crazy idea?

firefox

I don't think it is crazy, but then the people I know, think I am crazy....
Why not make a compartment in the wall that mimics those secret bookshelves in the
mystery movies that rotate. When you get ready to take a shower, you push on one side of the TP
shelf, and it rotates 180 degrees and shows you a matching tile surface. When you are finished,
you push on the other side and it rotates to provide the TP dispenser.
Bruce

PS This also means that you can replenish the TP supply without entering the bathroom.

Amanda_931

Mexican (non-tourist) hotels in the 60's had fair-sized bathrooms with no particular distinction between the shower and the rest of the room.  But the shower head was far enough away and/or had a shower curtain, IIRC, not to soak the the toilet paper (or your book)

There are also anti cat destroying covers for TP.  Covers that might not move like a haunted house book wall, but do cover about 3/4 of the roll from the top.

You'd be better off not requiring people to remember to do something (secure the toilet paper) before they used the shower.

Sawdust toilet, with the TP in the fresh sawdust container--that works fine until the sawdust container lid decides to leak.

Or, how about one Swiveling sink/shower head (handheld variety) plus a sawdust toilet with a spare sawdust container?

Alex Wade, in that very tiny house he built for himself, had a truly minuscule bathroom, if you have the book handy.

spinnm

Why don't you search under "wet room baths"  or "wet room showers".  Bet you'll find a lot.
Actually very in vogue at the moment.

bil2054

Very much like the arrangement in boats and RV's.  In my Winnebago there's a shower curtain you pull around a circular track which protects the TP, the commode, and the towel rack from getting "rained on".  The whole thing would work better if it were six inches bigger, (or I was six inches smaller! [smiley=undecided.gif] [smiley=wink.gif])
I kinda like the idea of the "magic" TP, but an easy, quicky fix would be to store it in a waterproof container, like a coffee can with plastic.

n74tg

Okay, I'm stumped...Amanda...what does IIRC mean?

cre90602

www.dinubarv.com/chalet/options/showertoilet.htm
I found this picture of what i think you are looking for not the best and i dont know how to make this a link but if you past it it will take you to the site

glenn-k

QuoteOkay, I'm stumped...Amanda...what does IIRC mean?

I'm not as good looking as Amanda, but I think it means If I Recall Correctly.

The link works just fine, cre.  You can copy and paste or type them in and most of them will work as they are.  The button on the posting dialogue box will let you add a description to the button but is not neessary to use.  

nandajor

In the house, we now live in, since the floors are acid washed and sealed concrete, I wanted the bathroom floor to just slope down into a drain for the shower.  The concrete man just couldn't quite go along with the concept and finally talked me into a tiny 1" step down. Still, it is a walk-in, 3'x6' shower. I actually, found a 8' shower curtain on line, so the effect is open and big. I wish I had used a ceiling shower head, instead of a wall mount. I have often looked at that space and thought, if there was just a wrap around curtain or even a rigid barrier in the middle, a narrow basin mounted on the shower wall (maybe in the corner, and a toilet in the opposite end...it could be a whole bath. I am thinking that just a cubby hole with a hinged glass door would keep the TP dry. You folks make me think and think.

Dberry

Great info!  The shower curtain to cover the toilet, vanity is super!  

I think it's been far more challenging trying to design a small house than a big one.  :)    

glenn-k

QuoteIn the house, we now live in, since the floors are acid washed and sealed concrete, I wanted the bathroom floor to just slope down into a drain for the shower.  

This is exactly what I have done in the third bathroom in the underground cabin.  The entire floor slopes to the drain - the area around the toilet and sink very  mildly and the shower area more pronounced.

Of course - not finished. :-/

nandajor

Well, I knew darn well that it would work, but you would have thought I was speaking in Greek to the guy.  I have to admit, we were not having a good day. The day we poured the foundation, it rained and rained some more. It would have been no big problem, if you were covering the floor, but since we were planning to acid wash and seal, it was. Even though, the crew worked hard, the floor is much rougher than it should be. Looking back, we should have "scored" the floor and then it would have just looked like big mexican tiles.  But, we didn't, so I just live with rough finish and even footprints in some areas.  It could still be done, but frankly, I just can't put up with the mess it would make.  Hey, you could build a dozen houses and never get it just right.