Snakes and Building

Started by pioneergal, May 12, 2006, 09:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioneergal

How many on the forum has had a problem with the slithering serpent while clearing and building on your property?

On Thursday the DH killed a copperhead about 18" - 24" that was 15 feet from the back corner of the house.

Then today as I was leaving ....on the gravel road that passes by our house I ran over another copperhead that was about 4 feet long.

I hit him 3 times and he still slithered away ! :-?

We have spent the week mowing and clearing any debris and will spend Sturday doing the same.

Sassy

Glenn has killed several rattlesnakes.  Killed one by the water faucet at the well pump, one underneath the motorhome, another small one somewhere & one with 12-13 rattles by the hot tub... I walked over one up at the top of the hill when we were exploring, there were a lot of big boulders - on the way back down, stepped from 1 big rock to another, heard something rattling, snake was coiled up in between the rocks I had just stepped over - it was gigantic!  Got out of there fast!  

So, to answer your question, yes, we do have problems with rattlesnakes.  Won't bother them if they are far away, but anywhere around the place, Glenn will kill them.  I am amazed that I haven't run into more of them - maybe just haven't seen them, because I've done a lot of weedeating & weeding & cleanup all over the place.  

peg_688

Yet another reason to live in the PNW, no rattlesnakes  ;)

glenn-k

Keeps us in food though, PEG.  We won't go hungry. :)

peg_688

QuoteKeeps us in food though, PEG.  We won't go hungry. :)

Go right ahead without me , I've tried a lot of different food , but I'll pass on rattler :o

BTW what it taste like?  Chicken? Or is it a cross between spotted owl and bald eagle ?  ;D

jonseyhay

Tastes almost exactly like snake, if you didn't know what it was you would swear it was snake. ;D

glenn-k

We overcooked ours so it tasted like smoked snake jerky.

PEG and Jonesy -- you guys will have to come by and we'll see if we can rustle up another one -- maybe do it right next time.  BTW I read that you should leave off about 6 inches of neck to be sure you miss the poison glands.

achildofthesky(Guest)

In all my time in the woods and fields I have only seen one venomous snake, it was less than 6 inches from one of my friends kids feet and before I could say anythng it whizzed off...

I AM strange as I always try to catch almost any critter to examine. Have had lot's of pet snakes. Sam, a water snake I caught in Pa. was kept in an aquarium in the garage with "George of the Cage", a garter snake and teeth, another garter snake, named  for its propensity to bite. My dad and I came back from fishing one day and he freaked whenSam, turned out to be Samantha and had given birth to more than 50 little sams that were EVERYWHERE in the garage and house. They were small enough to get out of the wire mesh on the aquarium. Pretty funny, so thought I.

In Florida we had black racers around the condo, in the bushes and around the pool. Always grabbed them where I could and sold or traded for other critters at the local reptile shop.

I don't think I'd kill one unless I was going to try rattlesnake stew or the like but I must be careful because the urge, for me, to grab any snake ranks right up there with the urge one has to pound down a nail that sticks up. There are places that will pay good money for the little and not so little things. just think, you could say that "rattlesnakes paid for this window" or "my deluxe Delta faucette was financed by copperheads". Yeah, I know, I am strange.

Patty

PEG688

Yeah, I know, I am strange.

Patty

Yup ;)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Billy Bob

Can't say I've ever had a problem with snakes... usually just leave them alone, and vice versa.  If one is in a really inconvenient spot, I've moved 'em along with a stick, (lo-o-ong stick in the case of copperheads).
 I bought a house once from some friends that had a large population of Garter snakes, you know the cute little garden variety.  The woman had to do the yard work because the guy had a phobia about them; turned white as a sheet whenever he saw even the smallest.  My grandmother also feared them, couldn't even say the word.
I dunno, I'm the kind of person that scoops the spiders up and puts them outside.  I guess if I had kids or critters, or was hungry enough, I might kill a snake that was haning around, but mostly they are just part of my environment, to be treated with due respect.  I get pretty nasty with wasps, though, the kind that sting ya for no apparent reason.  All out war, no quarter! [smiley=angry.gif]
Bill

glenn kangiser

I used to try to leave them alone -lots of gophers and wood rats around here so the snakes help, but a lady a few miles from here left one alone near her house and a couple days later it bit her and killed her.  A tree trimmer for Asplundh was killed a year or so ago and someone else also.

So - I modified my rules.  Well away from the house is OK --near it is not.  
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Ug caveman , Easy hunting that way. Killum close to house less draggum back , Ug ;D

Sassy

Patty, my son had a python & also a little skinny bright green snake.  When he brought home the green snake, I was sitting in the recliner reading a book, he sticks it up in my face & says "hey, Mom, look at the snake I found."
I couldn't tell at first whether it was real or a fake.  Took me off guard a little at first....  :o  don't like them 2 inches from my nose!   The python would get out of his room all the time & go into the linen closet.  I don't know if he ever named it.  I used to keep pet blue belly lizards in the house, put them in the windows so they could eat any bugs that got into the house.  My other son had a gecko.   I would hold them, but not brave enough to grab one out in the wild (the snakes, that is)!  I don't especially like most bugs, though, especially spiders... I can pick up the daddy long legs but they are so prolific around both our places, & make so many spider webs that I am constantly having to clean them up.  I had a friend, as a kid, who had pet tarantulas - we'd let them crawl on our arms... took me awhile to get up the nerve to hold em, though.... Glenn had pet tarantulas too.  What fun!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

PEG688

QuoteI used to try to leave them alone -lots of gophers and wood rats around here so the snakes help, but a lady a few miles from here left one alone near her house and a couple days later it bit her and killed her.  A tree trimmer for Asplundh was killed a year or so ago and someone else also.

So - I modified my rules.  Well away fron the house is OK --near it is not.  

Wasn't it thier house first?  I mean before you and the bulldozer came  ;D

glenn kangiser

Possession is 9/10 of the law?

Walk softly and carry a big stick?

I'm gonna tear your arm off and beat you with the bloody end of it?  Wait ---snakes don't have arms.  Nevermind. :-/

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

QuotePossession is 9/10 of the law?

Humm almost a Govt. thread here ;D

Walk softly and carry a big stick?

Good old Teddy, wonderful President ;)

I'm gonna tear your arm off and beat you with the bloody end of it?  Wait ---snakes don't have arms.  Nevermind. :-/

If dolpins had hands there'd be bridge's under /in the oceans  ::)

glenn kangiser

I almost elaborated on the government thread but am refraining from rants this morning as there is a $5 all you can eat breakfast at the American Legion Hall today and I want some of it. :)

PEG688

Enjoy your beer with breakfast, Pst don't tellum your anti Govt. they'll tap your phone or somthin ;)
 You know who those Legion- airs are  ::) Semper Fi ;)

glenn kangiser

I know, PEG --but they have cheap food and lots of it.  Ladies got to eat free today.

jonsey/downunder

Wear the tutu mate, they'll never know.  ;D
I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.

glenn kangiser

Well ---- there was a very old fella there with a diamond stud earring.

I suppose If I did that, Jonesy, I'd have to shave my legs so there wouldn't be hair flying into the food.

Amanda_931

Snake phobia around here is soooo pervasive.  Even Miss Cherty Pie Barker hates them.  I can tell by her bark if there's a snake in the yard.  Probably even if it's just some cute little grass snake.

Guy working for me last summer carried a St. Patrick's medal at all times to protect him from snakes.  I didn't tell him about the black snake under the foundation where he was sitting.   :)  It was just a little one--there was a bigger one about ten feet away.  

One of the rattlesnakes is an endangered species around here.  I've yet to hear anyone mention that without saying that they would kill one if they saw it.  They don't care if it goes extinct.  I think I do.  Not that I want to have a rattler three feet away.  I'd much rather have a black snake trying to convince me that she was [highlight]bad[/highlight] by rattling her tail in dry leaves.  They do.  Seen it more than once.

Copperheads are supposed to have really septic bites.  As in infection, more than the poison, is the problem.  

pioneergal

I could not believe my eyes!

This morning the DH and I were on our way to the homeplace to do some more outside cleanup when just before we got to our  driveway..........there lay the SNAKE!  :-?

DH was shocked that it was so big...... once again he got away but we know that he is in the patch of bushes by the neighbors drive.

So, trying to be a good neighbor I alerted them of "Copper" maybe the neighbor can eliminate him and will probably do so since his 2 small children usually play on that side of the yard.

glenn kangiser

Old one here, but...

Did you hear about the snake who was so poor he didn't have a pit to hiss in. :-/ ;D

Kevin

Sorry Glenn that was really bad
lol