Insulated headers for VC

Started by MikeT, March 03, 2007, 02:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

As you probably recall, I am building the Victoria's Cottage with a full basement below.  I am doing it with 2x6 walls and plan on insulating them with another 1" on the interior.  But for my headers I am thinking of creating 2x12's with a 2x3 in the middle and then insulating the balance of the middle.  So my question concerns whether it would be easiest and "best" to simply create all my headers at once from 2x12's and the aforementioned insulating plan.

My biggest window is an 8050 and that is going in the long wall in the great room.  Other openings will be for 6 foot windows in both levels of the bedroom end wall.  Then I will have two 6ft SGDs- one in the basement and another out of the bedroom out to a deck.  Other windows will be narrower.  

What do you think about simplifying things by making all the headers as described above?  Is there value in using trimmer studs for support or eliminating them and using Simpson brackets for support?  Finally, if I go with trimmer studs, with these size headers, is one trimmer stud per side adequate?

Thanks

jraabe

I will wait to see what the production builders might have to say on this but I see many projects where the headers are all sized to the same depth (usually 2x12s). This uses a bit more wood but saves framing and cutting time.

MikeT

If I insulate the middle of the header and then the entire wall with 1" dow blueboard will the header be both structurally stable and well insulated?  For size of headers with floors above, I gather this is adequate?

peg_688

The 2 x12 should / will be large enought , what we do is put a 2x6 under the header which gives you interior nailing for DW / trim at the header and a recessed area , toward the interior that can easly be insulated when the walls are done.

Here's a dbl 2x10 header with the 2x6 "backer/ L detail.

On all but the 8' 0 opening one trimmer will be fine , on any opening 8' 0 or larger I like dbl , sometime (like garge door opening )3 trimmers under each end of the header.  I like to see the sheathing also make some type of " L " to tie the header to the wall , instead of the sheathing just running up the trimmer's and a piece of "filler" being used on the header only with no lap / gusseting action.

MikeT

So PEG, let me make sure I understand what you do with 2x12 headers:

Use just one 2x12 header and then put a 2x6 underneath (essentially creating an L) that is 13" high and support it with a single trimmer on each side (except for the 8' window in which case you would double the trimmers).  That would leave a cavity in the inside of the wall for a lot of insulation, correct?  Any you do not double the 2x12's, correct.  

Do you/have you ever not used trimmers and gone with brackets to support the header?  

peg_688

No it's a dbl. 2x12 , net thickness 3" with   a single 2x6 (on the flat) under it , total height , 11 1/4" + 1 1/2" = 12 3/4" , it leaves you a 2 1/2" cavity to insulate on the inside of the header.

Rarely do I go without any trimmers , I have used 3/4" trimmers on interior doors in tight spaces.

If I had to go with out trimmers I used at least dbl king studs and drop my header into whats called a flush hanger,

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/lu-u-hu.html

Or one of these , a header hanger,

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/HH.html

MikeT

I understand now.  Thanks.  

jraabe

Nice work PEG. Very clear explanation and good graphics.  :)

I think I'll bookmark this for others as it is something that comes up with any house and the books aren't always as clear as this.

One option to what PEG is doing is to build a sandwich header with the foam insulation between the the two 2x's. Keep the bottom nailer to hold it all together. This sometimes helps where more nailing area is needed for drapes and other window treatments.

I will add some images we did for the Superinsulated Design and Construction book:

This single 2x12 header can often cover all the openings in a single story house and you do not have to mess with foam and can insulate normally.

This double 2x sandwich has a 1x6 at the bottom saving a tiny amount to conduction over a 2x6.