Loft Design

Started by SHUBUTAKID, March 27, 2008, 01:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHUBUTAKID

Have a need for specific information regarding a general project that I've already mentioned under "Cabin Design for Camp and Adult Retreat Center."  I initially planned to build just a one level cabin. The board for my organization has approved the single level concept, but it has since dawned on me that we could double our capacity if we add a loft ( see drawings under other topic). 

The suggestion that I check on fire codes and ADA requirements has been noted.  Thanks.

My question here is simple.  Any one have any pearls about adding lofts?  The loft will be a completely sealed off to the room below to make both rooms private.  Maybe there are no secrets to loft design, but remember that I am a complete building novice.  (But that doesn't keep me from getting excited about trying to design an economical and efficient and comfortable camp / retreat cabin.)  If you have a thought, no matter how "plain-as-the-nose-on-your-face" it might seem to you, please share it.

Have an architect who has agreed to take my drawings and critique and redo them professionally next Thursday.  Will hope to redraw both the single level and two-story cabins this weekend (as well as a storage shed -- see new topic "Shed").  Anything you could suggest to aid in the design would be appreciated.

SK

glenn kangiser

Just do the loft as if it were a 2 story house --use second floor joists as if it were an upstairs.  I'm not sure on the loads on the floor - just sketch it up and your architect will know the proper loading and sizes of floor joists.  He will likely be aware of requirements for your situation also.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.