Freebie Mountainside Pier Plan Needed

Started by Joe70152, July 10, 2006, 01:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe70152

My tiny (150' front, 63' deep) dream cabinsite in Colorado near
Continental Divide has million dollar views but I'm broke and likely
to remain so. I'm a Navy vet in New Orleans area, was retired when Katrina hit and did a number on me. Wonder if there's any kind soul out there who
will share a schematic/cross-section views, etc., of a typical pier
for a mountainside (25-35% slope) retreat. Or, maybe somebody who
knows where I can find such a schematic freebie? I've got the
homeplan already but no dough for engineer/architect to draw
the "typical pier detail" for the several piers on which my 12x36
dwelling will rest. Dwelling will rest on piers because it's the
cheapest way to build on this terrain -- and it's green friendly as it
disturbs as little of the site as possible. Curtain wall under
dwelling ends 7" above grade (screen/mesh from there to below grade)
and will hide piers and underhouse area from wind and critters. Lots of insullation here too for keeping the cabin floor warm.   There
are some old 50's dwellings on the mountain with pier foundations
(pressure treated 8x8 timbers attached to 16x16" pads), but nobody
knows the details subsurface, how thick the pads are and how deep) and
the building code office is silent and unhelpful (big surprise) -- they'd like me to spend money I don't have on a local engineer, build a huge place and pay higher property taxes.   Thanks. I can be emailed at b_teddy@hotmail.com

glenn-k

Here is what we have here --

http://countryplans.com/foundation/index.html

Diagonal bracing will be necessary and up to you.  If your county requires an engineer to review and stamp it it would still have to be done by a local professional $$$

Amanda_931

This book is kind of a classic on the subject.  You can glance inside at a couple of pages (very few really useful is what Amazon usually shows, IMHO)  You can probably pick one up for $6.50 or less including shipping on the used market, or a library might have a copy.  My guess is it will work almost as well for pier houses as for pole houses.  The author does have ideas on how to put poles on the serious slopes.

(NB: insulation can become a problem with pole houses.  I really like the idea of getting the roof up first and then building to it, as in the roof covers an overhang or walkway and the building proper is inside that)

They really like used utility poles.  Available here for free, but you get to load them, and are they heavy. My truck has dents where a 12-footer bounced out after going about 15 feet from the electric company's back lot.  If someone will bring them to me, I'd  consider using them. (2nd time that year I believed someone when he said, "It won't bounce out. you're worrying too much")

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0882661701/103-4441361-7626258?v=glance&n=283155

Dustin

I have that book. Pretty good one too.
57 used & new available from $2.49 at Amazon.
It costs more to ship than to buy. What a deal!

Amanda_931

Not infrequently alibris is a bit less.  Not this time, though.

www.alibris.com