Metal Roof Questions

Started by Jimmy C., May 04, 2006, 03:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amanda_931

They don't need to do it here as much, but in snow areas, smart design is to have a gable of some sort over the door or the front steps.  Or the slanting side of a shed roof.  Works, I'm told, for garages too.  

CREATIVE1

O.K., just to add another wrinkle.  What is the relative durability of a painted metal roof vs galvanized?
Our lot is sunny, not too windy and no salt air, but some snow--and in the wet ol' Pacific NW.

Amanda_931

Sounds like

[size=14][highlight]It all depends.[/highlight][/size]

The zinc is supposed to prevent the steel from rusting in galvanized steel--until it wears away, which it's also supposed to do.

What is galvalume?  zinc over aluminum, aluminum with or without zinc coating on steel?

What kind of paint/baked on enamel--is it going to be bad about oxidising?  And if it does, will it wash off in the rains?

Check the guarantee.

and try not to install new galvalume or galvanized on a sunny day on the equator side of the building.

Okie_Bob

Jimmy, I just now read your question regarding metal roofs and want to make you an offer. We have visited over a few questions in the past and I want to invite you to see my place on Cedar Creek Lake. It has a 26 ga metal roof installed by my son and nephew in one day two summers ago. I love it and suspect I broke a few rules of others that have written back to you.
First, I used factory built trusses on 24" centers for my 24' X 46' building. I then ran furr strips about 3' apart from top to bottom (both sides) from end to end. We then screwed the metal to the furr strips and were done.
I don't know anything about drilling holes or pre-drilling holes in the metal, not at all necessary. The screws are self-tapping, have rubber washers and come in two types, one of the lapped sections and one for everywhere else.
Then I sprayed on Icyene insulation directly under the roof. I left space near the bottom for venting from the soffet vents I installed. There is a guy in Kaufman that does the Icyene and a guy in Athens that will do your roof if you want to farm it out.
You are welcome to come see my place, I would be happy to discuss any aspect of the metal roof I built and wouldn't trade it for any other type roof, period!!!
Okie Bob

glenn-k

Nothing wrong with what you did on your roof BoB.

Pre-drilling makes it easier to find the screw location on a steep roof if done accurately.  If you miss you have an extra or lots of extra holes to deal with.  You must be careful if pre-drilling.