12x14 with porch

Started by grandmasplayhouse, February 09, 2010, 03:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandmasplayhouse

I have been a fan of Country plans forum as a guest for years. Just LOVE the pictures and ideas of the many cabin builders. There is a lot of talent out there.
I would like to share a little about our small cabin. We purchased part of the family farm(60 ac.)and have spent the last 3 years gaining access to it through a field by way of an easement,then finally purchasing the easement area to make a driveway.The easement crossed CRP land and that contract had to expire before we could cross it.(Conservation Reserve Program) Last year we put a sawdust outhouse there and moved in a small cabin. We have been snowed out of there for months now and am so excited to start work on the inside again. We insulated and wired for 12 volt and 110 generator power before the big Christmas blast of snow that has never went away. Minnesota has had there fair share of snow. I will post some pictures If I can. Hope you enjoy.[img][/imhttp://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=271847432/a=84597007_84597007/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/g]
With a little work my grandchildren will grow up with a love of nature and a feel for a life without indoor plumbing.(If only for a short weekend) What fun to visit Grandmas Playhouse

MountainDon

w*  grandmasplayhouse

We'll all be looking forward to seeing some pictures.

If you need help with that just holler.  :D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

grandmasplayhouse

Quote from: MountainDon on February 09, 2010, 03:41:48 PM
w*  grandmasplayhouse

We'll all be looking forward to seeing some pictures.

If you need help with that just holler.  :D
Thanks,I'll need help I guess
With a little work my grandchildren will grow up with a love of nature and a feel for a life without indoor plumbing.(If only for a short weekend) What fun to visit Grandmas Playhouse

MountainDon

To display images in a forum post the images must first be uploaded to an internet photo hosting site. Many use photobucket.com, others Picasa or yet other available hosts.

Once the image is uploaded there, there is a cose that is copied from the image host and then pasted into the forum message. When the message is viewed the image will appear.

The code will be called  IMG Code   or something similar.
It will begin with  [IMG]   
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Another  w* grandmasplayhouse

Looks like part of the {IMG} was left off of the last part.  Would like to see what you have. Everyone here is addicted to "eye candy".

RainDog

You want to right click the photo and choose "copy image location", then click the "Insert Image" button on the countryplans message page, and paste the copied location in between the two "[img]" codes.
NE OK

Beavers

Nice looking place Grandma!

Is that a small loft over the front porch?

Would love to see some pic's of the interior if you have them.  Always nice to see how people make their small houses work. (I need ideas ;) )

w*

RainDog

Here's the link to the snapfish album, which I gleaned from an earlier post. You'll have to register with snapfish prior to viewing if you haven't already. Free and all.

I assume it's okay to link these, as grandmasplayhouse has already attempted to above.

http://www5.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=271847432/a=1170831028_84597007/

There are indeed interior shots in the album.
NE OK

grandmasplayhouse

Hope you all liked the pictures. Thanks for all the help. Will update in the spring when we can work on the inside.

fishing_guy

w*...

Where is your cabin in Minnesota?..I would have to guess either in the northwest (Detroit Lakes area) or SW by Soix Falls SD.

Twin cities here for our house and North of the Iron Range for our getaway...
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

grandmasplayhouse

We are located in the southern prairie pothole region of Minnesota. The cabin spot is located on a piece of virgin prairie that was a cattle pasture at one time. Hardly a tree except for along the river that runs through it. Mostly ash trees so they might not survive. I can remember all the nice Elm trees we used to have that are dead now.(the dead trees make good firewood) I have been trying to plant some trees and fight the deer,rabbits and prairie voles every step of the way. Every new tree is like a new tasty treat for them. When I plant a tree in the sod the hole has to be pretty deep to break the roots. Prairie grass has some of the deepest and hardest roots. The native grass there is buffalo grass and big blue stem. Then the new baby tree needs protection from the voles. (A small mouse like rodent that chew all the bark off) I have had success with cement tiles around the tree. Then wrap a piece of chicken wire around about 2 foot tall to stop the rabbits. And if  the tree grows at all, I wrap a 4 foot tall deer fence around that. I carried water to them several times last summer and have saved about 8 red pine, a few spruce,a half dozen bur oak and a couple cottonwood. And one little apple tree that  the deer will never stop trying to eat. This spring I'm planting some black walnut seedlings that I have in pots along with a few eastern red cedar that seem to thrive around here. Maybe stick a couple maple next to the cabin for shade. Can't plant more than twenty trees a year because of all the babysitting they require.

grandmasplayhouse

Wow! I think I've got the hang of picture sharing.
To pass the time this winter I've been painting furniture for the little cabin. Here are some before and after shots of some old chairs.I'll share more later.

grandmasplayhouse

Our weekend journey to the cabin. Weiner roast and hot cocoa. Truly a wonderful winter day.

Beavers

Great looking place...perfect for a getaway!
Looking forward to seeing how you finish the interior.

Ever since I was little every summer we went with my Grandparents up to a cabin in Minnesota.  Had some great times there!  

I'm sure that your Grandkids will love spending time there.  [cool]

grandmasplayhouse

Just wanted to share a couple pics of the water level last Sept. and now. I hope we don't lose many trees.

grandmasplayhouse

For any of you who are interested I was thinking this morning, "What is it about an outhouse"
I just love mine! And that is really weird since I grew up with a huge fear of them. When I was little (let's just saw 40 some years ago) I would tremble in fear of the dreaded dark unknown pit in that hole under the outhouse. There must be skunks and really big biting spiders hiding in that smelly darkness. And what if I fell in? No one would ever find me..........
We had an outhouse on the farm. My relatives had them at their cabins. Every campground we went to had them. I hated to use them!
So what is it about our outhouse?
It's Cute
It's Clean
There is no Pit

grandmasplayhouse

:)My youngest son built this outhouse for me. It was a winter project a couple of years ago. He built it in his garage and then moved it to our shop were we finished it. A local welding shop built the stainless steel pull out tray that was intended to be filled with sawdust and pulled out to be burned to get rid of the waste. The results are a smell free outhouse. I didn't like the idea of burning in the steel tub so I've lined it with a plastic tub that is easily dumped in the firepit and burned. Animal bedding works really well for the sawdust and cedar chips make a nice smelling woodchip but cost more. So far this has been used on a small user basis. I don't know if this would work in a situation of more people and longer use.

grandmasplayhouse

I spent this last weekend cleaning and decorating grandma's outhouse before Easter weekend. Everything survived the winter and we look forward to Spring and working at the cabin.

grandmasplayhouse

Spring is the time to get it done so thought you would like to see what we have worked on. This project gets attention when we have time on a rare weekend. All construction is done with power from a generator on the way back forty. This past weekend we did the ceiling in a knotty pine tounge and groove. Some parts became a challenge.
Next the trim goes up.
Good thing Grandpa has so many nice tools to work on Grandma's Playhouse

MountainDon

grandmasplayhouse

The wood came in 8',10's and 12's with pre cut bevels on ends. I really think this is the way to go for beginners like us. We also found a trick to cutting the end angles by getting the angle right on the first piece and using it as a pattern to trace the next one down. Worked every time without having to ever measure again. The octagon window was even easy to cut out by tracing from the rear each time and cutting out before we nailed. The true helper in this project was the air brad nailer. Worked like a champ

grandmasplayhouse

We have been trimming and adding cabinets. The built in will hold the power converter.  Trim like frosting on the cake :D

grandmasplayhouse

The loft got carpet and will have a small railing and loft ladder. The granddaughters want to be the first to sleep there.

grandmasplayhouse

It's been awhile since I shared some pics of the cabin. With fall in the air, being at the cabin is FUN again.
This little cabin has been in the dream,plan,build stage for a long time. Space is running out quickly as I tend to keep bringing more stuff there.
Next will have to be a shed to store some of the outdoor,cooking and campfire stuff.

My advice to small cabin builders----Bigger is better. d*

Playing "Cabin at the cabin"

grandmasplayhouse

At the "cabin" we have no power,water or utilities of any kind. Part of that is "the fun of the cabin" and part of that is the remote location.
Thanks to this web site and the Owner-builder forum we have made our self very comfortable here. I look to "Mountain Don" for advice all the time.
We now have a quiet Honda generator that can power the air conditioner. We installed a direct vent LP heater in the wall. Our power runs through a power supply that will have some 12 volt lights too. Purchased a small camp oven for cooking that does a pretty good job. It's all about space.
Next will  come the 12 volt lights. (I'm looking for some nice peeled logs beams to hang them on) and a rain barrel with 12 volt pump for a shower outside and for a source of wash water. The sawdust outhouse does a good job of the toilet issue. The Grand daughters love the "Potty House"

The heater is off the floor to allow for more floor space.