Psssshhhhh!

Started by flyingvan, March 23, 2012, 01:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyingvan

Drat.

There was only ONE very small area where my copper pipes didn't go through the dead center of the 2x6 studs---it had to go around the sewer pipe from upstairs.  There was only a 6" section for the entire house where it was even possible.   In my hurry to finish the siding on the back side before the storm hit, I didn't bother checking what was on the other side.  Big mistake.  As soon as I heard the hissing sound, I knew exactly what I'd done.

I hit that thing square, too.

So moved all the insulation out of the way.  I have a plumbing repair kit all set up.  You can get 5/8" pipe that makes a nice long slip coupling----I think it's a better repair than cutting in a new section of 1/2" pipe with two slip couplings---it's half as many sweat solder joints.
   A scrap of the cementitious soffit material temporarily screwed to the back side of the sheer panel kept me from burning the place down.  It's now part of the repair kit, too.  My whole house is covered with the stuff.

The pipe turns to go upstairs one stud bay over, so there was plenty of flex to safely make up for the removed bit without stressing anything.  I just used a slip couple with the stop in the middle (I like the stop because you're sure both pipe ends end up in the middle.  If you can't use the stop, make a mark on your pipes)
   Here's the current progress

Here's a picture of the backside--

Work stopped when I hit the pipe, right by the fire sprinkler panel.  My original plan was for the eave to just stop where the porch roof meets the wall.  After building the chase for the tankless water heater though, I needed a way to tie it all together so made an 'eyebrow' extending the eave to the chase, then continuing down the other side.  I liked it enough to do the same on the other terminus of the porch roof---that eyebrow helps shield the window on the weather side of the house.
Find what you love and let it kill you.

MountainDon

Man, what were the odds on that?  Nice fix though. And probably a good thing you weren't wearing earbuds or something.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

flyingvan

1,600 square feet of siding.  6 square inches where the pipe was close enough to hit.  I get 1:38,400 per nail

MountainDon

That's a lot worse than being struck by lightning.

National US average on that is 1:700,000 in any 1 year.  Though it becomes 1:3000 on an 80 year lifetime.   :(

My odds here in NM are much worse on the lightning though. Depending on whose stats you use NM is worst (on a per capita basis) or at least 2nd or third.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

flyingvan

Well, also I figure the exterior siding will take 2,300 ring shanks to complete, so really the odds (if Murphy takes the day off, of course) are more like 1:17.  Pretty close to the odds of falling off a ladder.  Had I bothered to pay attention, though, I could have incresed the odds to on par with winning the lottery

MountainDon

It's been a long time since I took a statistics course, so I could be wrong on this. I believe the odds on hitting a pipe remains the same, 1:38400, each time you drive a nail. Driving more nails does not change the odds on any one nail.

Right? Wrong? Anyone remember more than I do?  ???

flyingvan

You are correct, but had any particular nail hit on any particular day, ti would have just changed when this post was created.  The odds that the next nail I shoot hits a pipe are slim.  The chance that somebody reading this hits a pipe someday, pretty darned good.

rick91351

You are in great company.  If I remember right John's Dogtrot at Hightop suffered an electrical failure or plumbing much the same way.   ???  No matter how hard you try.....
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: rick91351 on March 23, 2012, 09:07:09 PM
You are in great company.  If I remember right John's Dogtrot at Hightop suffered an electrical failure or plumbing much the same way.   ???  No matter how hard you try.....

Yep happens to the best of us.

flyingvan

I didn't learn my lesson with the first project, as far as not hitting the pipes.....But I DID learn the lesson of not finishing the interior walls where there's plumbing until the siding's done outside.  It made the repair pretty easy.  Finding the leak behind tongue and groove would have been tough.   As far as hitting electrical wires, I won't know until I power up the house I suppose.  I did try to keep them in the center also.
  Thanks for the comiserations.  If you guys have done it, I don't feel as bad

MountainDon

Quote from: flyingvan on March 23, 2012, 08:47:32 PM
The chance that somebody reading this hits a pipe someday, pretty darned good.

I nailed one years ago with an air driven 3 1/2" nail. (but only 2" in the wall.) Galvanized pipe though and it just deflected. Lucky I guess.   ;)

flyingvan

While doing the plumbing, I kept asking myself why I didn't drill all the holes and run the long sticks of pipe during the framing stage.  I knew exactly where the pipes were going to be.  I could have stacked the studs and drilled them all at once, frame the wall except for the end, and fed the pipe in.  I could even put in the nail plates while the wall's sitting on the ground.  it would work for the wiring too. 
    Next time.  I know, I know steel studs already come that way.  Steel studs lack the heart and feel of lumber and I won't use them for sentimental reasons.  I can't burn the cut-offs in the fireplace either.

MikeC

I can tell you about discovering by finish nail exactly where the radiant heat supply pipe is, right after finishing every thing else in the room.  Hint - it was exactly where one would expect - behind drywall & laid on top of the window, kinda like where one might nail trim.

Just another remodel adventure.

ajbremer

So is it correct to do the siding before electric and plumbing?
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: ajbremer on March 25, 2012, 06:29:00 AM
So is it correct to do the siding before electric and plumbing?

Al  that is really a judgement call.  Most of the "Opps" are probably operator error or misplacement of utilites.  To do the siding you will have to have all the windows/doors installed as well as soffit areas.  If it were mine I would concentrate on the roof, drying in then utilites and leave the exterior until that is completed. The housewrap will do it's job until you are ready.  Then followed by the siding and interior finishes. 

ajbremer

Thank you kindly redoverfarm! I'll be trying to house wrap today. I ended up buy Lowes house wrap for $100 and it's 9' x 150'.

Thank you again
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.