Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

While we always wish that the only place we have to work on is out cabin, sadly that isn't always the case.  For us, it was a burst pipe and having the plumbers come out and take care of it -- ouch!  Nearly stopped the tractor purchase from taking place.

Someone had spray foamed around the pipe which was badly rusted and I guess over time the rust won out.

OlJarhead

At least we now have water and hot water at that....so I'll have to backfill the hole, put down some concrete and fix the drywall....

But it won't stop me from working on the cabin!  And we DID buy the tractor! :D

astidham

well, sorry to hear about your misfortune, but I'm glad you got the tractor!  I want to see pictures!
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

OlJarhead

Concrete was a bit soupy in the lats bucket (yes bucket!  That's how I got it in there) but I hope not too much!

Anyway, got the patch in and with luck it will set nice and smooth.

OlJarhead

Quote from: astidham on June 29, 2012, 07:44:26 PM
well, sorry to hear about your misfortune, but I'm glad you got the tractor!  I want to see pictures!

I may get a chance to get some pics this weekend as I hope to go over to the dealer and do a little learning but we'll see.

OlJarhead

That's the one :)

Now to get to work!  Oh wait, I have to actually trailer it to the property which means I need to borrow a trailer (have that covered I think) but also means I have to wait until the 20th of July (drat!) and they have to install the canopy before then (another week before it arrives) but once we arrive with the trailer we'll move implements onto the trailer and finally park the tractor and then roll on out and head to the cabin with our newest toy, er I mean TOOL! :D

astidham

very nice!
you will have many years of fun work with it.
— Henry Ford

OlJarhead

Thanks :)  Now I wish I could start the fun work with it NOW!

Yonderosa

http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

AdironDoc

Very jealous... Red is my favorite color too

JavaMan

Wow, I go on vacation and all heck breaks loose! [crz]  And the jar head goes and buys the tractor! 

Vacation put a sizable dent in the budget - I should know how big by tomorrow.

Congrats again on the tractor!

OlJarhead

Thanks all :)

I'm trying to arrange getting it to the property now!  d*

Seems if you want to rent a 16' 10k trailer in this town they won't do it unless you have a 3/4 ton truck!  What's that all about?  My 06 Ford is rated at just over 10k and I'm looking to tow right about 8k with it...seems like a no brainer to me....but who cares what I want to do with it for crying out loud??  If I'm willing to pay the fees etc then shouldn't I be able to pick it up in whatever I have that will tow it?  Anyway, nevermind! lol

I can get 16 foot trailers locally and really need a 20 foot trailer but my neighbor tells me that with creative loading the 16's will work -- just not with the mower attached to the tractor.

So, with luck I can get things loaded up and head to the property with the tractor in tow on Friday -- wish me luck!

astidham

Quote from: OlJarhead on July 09, 2012, 04:34:50 PM
Thanks all :)

I'm trying to arrange getting it to the property now!  d*

Seems if you want to rent a 16' 10k trailer in this town they won't do it unless you have a 3/4 ton truck!  What's that all about?  My 06 Ford is rated at just over 10k and I'm looking to tow right about 8k with it...seems like a no brainer to me....but who cares what I want to do with it for crying out loud??  If I'm willing to pay the fees etc then shouldn't I be able to pick it up in whatever I have that will tow it?  Anyway, nevermind! lol

I can get 16 foot trailers locally and really need a 20 foot trailer but my neighbor tells me that with creative loading the 16's will work -- just not with the mower attached to the tractor.

So, with luck I can get things loaded up and head to the property with the tractor in tow on Friday -- wish me luck!
If you are towing any distance, the 1/2 ton truck might make you a nervous wreck, unless you have trailer brakes.
pulling the tractor was not a problem for me with my half ton, stopping it was..
also when I bought my Tractor Package, the 18' trailer was only $600. more dollars to the package deal.
— Henry Ford

OlJarhead

Trailer brakes is the only way I'd do it frankly but I'm looking to get someone with a 3/4 ton truck to do it -- my buddy's 2500 dodge ram pulled a mini excavator from here up to the property 3 years ago without any worries at all -- and in august -- so I'm thinking that would be the best option.

Only problem is he's working weekends now so I'm looking at some other possibilities before I decide to use the F150.

If I have to use the F150 I think I'll pull the implements up on my ATV trailer first.  That way I'll only have the tractor and loader to deal with later.

Should take 1000lbs off the load or so.

JavaMan

You wouldn't be attempting to rent a trailer from u-haul, would you?  Ever since some occurrence with an Explorer they seem to be quite reluctant to rent to anyone with an F150 - which is strange considering they RENT F150s... maybe they want you to rent their truck along with the trailer.

I tried to rent a car hauler one time with my F150 to pull a Fiero ... no go.  I could understand if they were concerned about towing with an Explorer, but an F150? 

Like you said, if it's under the weight limit for the tow vehicle, what's the issue?  But then again, it's their equipment, I guess, so they can do what they want.

Good luck with getting it up there.

OlJarhead

Hertz -- and who knows.

Looks like my neighbor will tow it up for me :)  and bring back the trailer while I stay there and play.

I'll probably tow up the implements to make it easier on his F250 and since the trailer will be a 16 footer -- which is big enough for the tractor alone but not the mower and box blade.

So with luck I'll be back Friday MOWING! [cool]

OlJarhead

WhooHoo!

Had my first drive today :D  Drove to Les Schwab to get the tires filled with 'Bioballast' and then back -- all of about 1/4 mile each way but much fun at 15mph :D

Also the canopy has been installed so we're ready to transport!!!!!

Tomorrow I pick up implements (be a nice way to spend my birthday I think) and then Friday morning we pick up the tractor :D

Toyotaboy

What a sweet toy er..  tool!  It will be nice to have that bucket on the front. Wish I had a bucket for my Farmall!

Congrats!

Totoaboy

Redoverfarm

That bucket is the handiest thing I have around the farm.  Handy as a pocket on a shirt.  Just be careful that you do not lift more than the factory recommendations or else you will damage the cylinders.

OlJarhead

After an adventurous morning we finally loaded up and headed out!

I couldn't wait to get our new tractor into action!

On the way up we drove by a big brush fire that burned right down to the hiway -- the fire crews were out and holding traffic to one lane as they fought the blaze.  Was pretty crazy.

When we had delivered the tractor and were returning to hook up the trailer to the tow vehicle (we couldn't tow it up the hill so I drove the tractor and Loran followed in his truck) we discovered Lorans truck had blown the water pump!  He spent the night and we fixed it the next day and sent him on his way -- then I got to work mowing and working the roads.

Where the tractor is now parked used to be a brush pile :)  That rotting pile is now gone! :D

I didn't have much time to take pictures (like I wanted to) because of the rain storm (lightening, hail the works!) but here is a shot of the property line road -- you can kinda tell that it's been at least partly mowed (most of it in view has) and the road has been worked over a bit.

I'm still learning (well dah!) but I'm getting it down I think ;)  in fact (a little tractor humor here) I'm getting REALLY good at knocking out sheer pins and replacing them!  d*

Note to self:  bring lots of Grade 2 1/2"x3" bolts with me next trip.....seems I goofed once (engage PTO at throttle!  DOH!  d* and then maybe mowed too many trees or hit a rock or something and sheered the pin a second time.

Picked up some lube and gear oil and changed out the mower for the box blade twice and played with the loader a bunch too....lots of fun and hey, the property is starting to shape up!

Can't wait until Friday comes!!

OlJarhead

Nice two point on the game cam from about 3 weeks ago :)  Hope he sticks around!

Off to work on mowing the upper section where I plan to build a 5+ acre meadow.

And mowing the lower section....well, the driveways and around the area -- so much to learn!

OlJarhead

In a discussion with my neighbor he told me that the water system I have (installed by his brother in law) wouldn't work as is and my plan to change it from a siphon system to a gravity system was a good one.  He explained that in a siphon there is always a problem of air building up (negative pressure at the highest point is how he described it) in a siphon and that it had to be bled off periodically or it would stop working.

This explains why my system always acted like it was empty when it really wasn't.

So, after pondering the problem a little more, and since my buddy who operates the excavator for me won't be able to come out for a while (and I might not be able to afford it for a while either) I've decided to get the bulkhead for the 2" pipe and install it at the lowest point in the tank I can reach, then I'll adjust the current 1" mainline pipe to run into that bulkhead (with a reducer from 2" to 1") and install it there.  I'll mark it with plenty of tape (so it's easier to find when digging it back up) and then bury it.

That way I can at least resolve the issue of my water always losing pressure before the summer months get hot and dry and leave the system indefinitely :)  Then when we're ready to fix the system we can head out and do so knowing what's in the ground at the time.

This Friday I start my vacation (10 days worth) and I plan to go out and finally get the hardware cloth under the cabin, seal any holes I might have left unsealed, install the grey water drain and counters etc and with luck get this done at the cistern and back fill all the holes I've dug.

Then I can concentrate on mowing the property, clearing brush, chopping wood (and maybe falling some more) and installing the stairs.

Should be a great week!

CjAl

air lock, i was right. ten points for me. ;D

AdironDoc

good call, CJ. BTW, those points are redeemable.. lol

OlJarhead

Yup

Airlock it is...but I'll fix that in a jiffy!  At least I hope to!